UK By-elections thread, 2021-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:54:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 126
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 178015 times)
EastAnglianLefty

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: November 10, 2021, 06:30:53 AM »

Labour was established as the party of the organised working class, and there were only a handful of areas where agricultural trade unionism was a thing (chiefly Norfolk.) These days it is increasingly a party of urban areas, the well-educated and those who do not own property. These are not the characteristics of agricultural communities.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #726 on: November 10, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »

Though how many pure "agricultural communities" are there these days anyway?

Commuters are more and more a thing in many villages. Of course these aren't usually the types of people to be favourable to Labour either, though there is the odd interesting exception.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #727 on: November 13, 2021, 08:32:19 AM »

The Tories have chosen Neil Shastri-Hurst as their candidate for North Shropshire.  He's a barrister from Birmingham, so I presume he has some other qualities which make him suitable for a by-election in Shropshire in the present climate.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #728 on: November 13, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »

The Tories have chosen Neil Shastri-Hurst as their candidate for North Shropshire.  He's a barrister from Birmingham, so I presume he has some other qualities which make him suitable for a by-election in Shropshire in the present climate.

He is an barrister AND a medical doctor.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #729 on: November 13, 2021, 08:51:52 AM »

Military background, which is something that will always go down very well with that particular Conservative Association.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #730 on: November 13, 2021, 09:04:36 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2021, 09:09:28 AM by Secretary of State Liberal Hack »

The Tories have chosen Neil Shastri-Hurst as their candidate for North Shropshire.  He's a barrister from Birmingham, so I presume he has some other qualities which make him suitable for a by-election in Shropshire in the present climate.
Will there be any effect of picking a BAME urban lawyer for a rural constituency that's 98% white and only 0.2% Asian ?

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/constituency-statistics-ethnicity/#single_constituency

The Tories have chosen Neil Shastri-Hurst as their candidate for North Shropshire.  He's a barrister from Birmingham, so I presume he has some other qualities which make him suitable for a by-election in Shropshire in the present climate.

He is an barrister AND a medical doctor.

The vital South Asian Parents vote will love him. Has a painfully generic Twitter account but vague sense he's somewhat culturally liberal.

https://twitter.com/DrNShastriHurst
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #731 on: November 14, 2021, 04:17:22 AM »

Sunak and May both visited Bexley (the latter might be because James Brokenshire was one of TM’s true allies in politics)

However this is certainly the type of by-election where I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Governments vote cater.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #732 on: November 14, 2021, 04:45:13 AM »

Will there be any effect of picking a BAME urban lawyer for a rural constituency that's 98% white and only 0.2% Asian ?

I'd hope him being BAME won't be a big factor (and there are several rural seats with BAME Tory MPs) but as hinted above "lawyer from Birmingham" strikes me as a phrase which is quite likely to appear in a few Lib Dem leaflets.  Maybe they will even include a photo of Geoffrey Cox QC MP.

Lib Dems seem to be treating this one seriously and essentially ignoring Old Bexley & Sidcup, Labour the other way round.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #733 on: November 14, 2021, 10:17:23 AM »

Labour's candidate for the last few GEs in N Shropshire told he won't be shortlisted - and has stormed out of the party in a huff.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #734 on: November 14, 2021, 10:30:55 AM »

Labour's candidate for the last few GEs in N Shropshire told he won't be shortlisted - and has stormed out of the party in a huff.

LOL

Let's just say that that is very much in character.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #735 on: November 14, 2021, 10:41:52 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2021, 12:31:26 PM by Blair »

I would have expected this with someone parachuted in 2019 but seems a bit odd as he ran in 2015- although I guess this is one of those CLPs with 6 active members, who all hate each other.

Currie, who has been a member of Labour for more than 40 years, feels he has been unfairly judged for social media posts in support of Palestine. He called the local executive committee "Stalinist" and said the party has "a corruption in its soul".

In a lengthy statement, he said: "Yesterday the Labour Party National Executive Committee (NEC) blocked my inclusion onto the North Shropshire local members hustings to shortlist for the upcoming by-election candidate. This hustings is taking place today [Sunday].

"Under the guise of 'due diligence' they raised spurious concerns regarding a tweet in 2018 of a Palestinian badge and a Facebook post in 2020 where I quoted Jeremy Corbyn calling for calm following the Equalities Commission’s report on findings of Institutional anti-Semitism in the Labour Party.

"I consider I have been unjustly slurred as anti-Semitic. I abhor this slur and I am devastated and disgusted.

"I have been a member of the Labour Party since 1980, have held various elected positions and previously been the North Shropshire parliamentary candidate for the past three general elections.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/politics/2021/11/14/betrayed-and-abused-labours-previous-north-shropshire-candidate-not-shortlisted-for-by-election/
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #736 on: November 14, 2021, 10:47:24 AM »

Ha classic Lib Dems- 'do you hate issue x... we also hate it...' is basically their entire by-election shtick.

Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #737 on: November 14, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »

Ha classic Lib Dems- 'do you hate issue x... we also hate it...' is basically their entire by-election shtick.
If it works, you should try it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #738 on: November 14, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »

although I guess this is one of those CLPs with 6 active members, who all hate each other.

And he has very much been part of the problem. The self-importance is amusing. If you're on the record as suggesting that the party ignores the findings and recommendations of a legally-binding statuary investigation, then, no, you won't be selected as a candidate. If you need to have it explained to you why this is the case, then you really have no business being in politics at all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #739 on: November 14, 2021, 02:03:40 PM »

The Labour candidate for North Shropshire will be Ben Wood, who is from Oswestry and is in his mid 20s. The Greens have not, I think, selected yet, but are likely to run Duncan Kerr, who is the councillor for the Oswestry South division.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #740 on: November 14, 2021, 06:07:23 PM »

although I guess this is one of those CLPs with 6 active members, who all hate each other.

And he has very much been part of the problem. The self-importance is amusing. If you're on the record as suggesting that the party ignores the findings and recommendations of a legally-binding statuary investigation, then, no, you won't be selected as a candidate. If you need to have it explained to you why this is the case, then you really have no business being in politics at all.

Legally-binding and partial, given they refused many times to open an investigation about Islamophobia in the Conservative Party.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #741 on: November 16, 2021, 04:53:03 AM »

The Labour candidate for North Shropshire will be Ben Wood, who is from Oswestry and is in his mid 20s. The Greens have not, I think, selected yet, but are likely to run Duncan Kerr, who is the councillor for the Oswestry South division.

The Green candidate is indeed Duncan Kerr, and the Lib Dems have now officially selected their 2019 candidate Helen Morgan, who stood in The Meres ward in May (and came pretty close).
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #742 on: November 19, 2021, 12:33:51 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2021, 12:43:14 PM by YL »

14 candidates for North Shropshire

Suzie Akers Smith (Independent) [1]
Andrea Allen (UKIP)
Boris Been-Bunged (Rejoin EU) [2]
Martin Daubney (Reclaim Party) [3]
Russell Dean (The Party Party) [4]
James Elliot (Heritage Party) [5]
Howling Laud Hope (OMRLP)
Earl Jesse (Freedom Alliance) [6]
Yolande Kenward (no description) [7]
Duncan Kerr (Green)
Helen Morgan (Lib Dem)
Neil Shastri-Hurst (Con)
Kirsty Walmsley (Reform UK) [8]
Ben Wood (Lab)

[1] Independent councillor for Congleton West (Cheshire East)
[2] No, that isn't his real name.
[3] This is the party led by actor Laurence Fox.  Daubney was a Brexit Party MEP.
[4] Address in Monaco, of all places.
[5] The UKIP splinter led by David Kurten.
[6] Anti-lockdowns.
[7] From Maidstone, and stood there in 2017 and 2019.  According to the Shropshire Star, "she has also spent many years campaigning for action against paedophiles and corruption".
[8] The renamed Brexit Party.  The candidate is the daughter of former Shropshire Council leader Keith Barrow, who was a Tory but is now supporting her.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #743 on: November 19, 2021, 03:49:08 PM »

14 candidates for North Shropshire

Suzie Akers Smith (Independent) [1]
Andrea Allen (UKIP)
Boris Been-Bunged (Rejoin EU) [2]
Martin Daubney (Reclaim Party) [3]
Russell Dean (The Party Party) [4]
James Elliot (Heritage Party) [5]
Howling Laud Hope (OMRLP)
Earl Jesse (Freedom Alliance) [6]
Yolande Kenward (no description) [7]
Duncan Kerr (Green)
Helen Morgan (Lib Dem)
Neil Shastri-Hurst (Con)
Kirsty Walmsley (Reform UK) [8]
Ben Wood (Lab)

[1] Independent councillor for Congleton West (Cheshire East)
[2] No, that isn't his real name.
[3] This is the party led by actor Laurence Fox.  Daubney was a Brexit Party MEP.
[4] Address in Monaco, of all places.
[5] The UKIP splinter led by David Kurten.
[6] Anti-lockdowns.
[7] From Maidstone, and stood there in 2017 and 2019.  According to the Shropshire Star, "she has also spent many years campaigning for action against paedophiles and corruption".
[8] The renamed Brexit Party.  The candidate is the daughter of former Shropshire Council leader Keith Barrow, who was a Tory but is now supporting her.

That's a very generous assessment.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #744 on: November 20, 2021, 11:32:18 AM »

What are people's hunches for Bexley?

I'm torn between it being virtually no real change from 2019 but equally can see a case where the bottom really does fall out of the Tories vote share (as happens in virtually every by-election with an unpopular government)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #745 on: November 20, 2021, 11:47:06 AM »

I'm torn between it being virtually no real change from 2019 but equally can see a case where the bottom really does fall out of the Tories vote share (as happens in virtually every by-election with an unpopular government)

I think there will be a big slump for the Tories but no clear single gainer, with Labour, LDs and minor parties all up. Tories still hold with a big majority.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #746 on: November 20, 2021, 12:44:47 PM »

I expect a substantial Tory fall but not enough to really put the seat in danger.  The Lib Dems aren't trying, so I doubt they'll make any progress, and I don't see Labour getting enough to win a seat like that unless large parts of the right-wing vote defect to Reform UK.

Maybe something like Con 47%, Lab 32%, Reform UK 11%, LD 5%, also-rans 5% between them.  (Complete stab in the dark, though.)
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #747 on: November 21, 2021, 06:49:48 PM »

The situation right now is unsettled enough that who knows, but I'm expecting Reform to flop yet again unless proven otherwise.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #748 on: November 21, 2021, 08:47:47 PM »

Has/Will there be any polling in any of the by-elections because the results would be interesting.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #749 on: November 22, 2021, 03:06:51 AM »

Has/Will there be any polling in any of the by-elections because the results would be interesting.

By-election polls are fairly rare and don't have the best reputation (constituency level sampling being hard) but I suppose someone might commission one.  The Lib Dems actually commissioned some constituency polls themselves before the last General Election, presumably to get some numbers for bar charts, so I suppose they might.  (But they didn't in Chesham & Amersham.)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 126  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies