UK By-elections thread, 2021-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:16:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 126
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 178269 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: June 11, 2023, 04:27:43 PM »
« edited: June 11, 2023, 04:31:14 PM by thumb21 »

Its a shame that Arlesey isn't part of Mid Bedfordshire. The Lib Dems could do well opposing the transformation of long Arlesey into wide Arlesey.. Sorry, obscure local meme.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1851 on: June 12, 2023, 04:58:03 AM »

Won't happen, but fingers are crossed Zahawi's issues force a Stratford on Avon by election so we can see incredibly laboured bits on Shakespeare from pundits eager to show off.

Dickhead won't resign and give us this, shame.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1852 on: June 12, 2023, 11:56:55 AM »

Nigel Adams is now Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead, and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is Steward and Bailiff of the Three Hundreds of Chiltern, so Selby & Ainsty and Uxbridge & South Ruislip are officially vacant.  For now, Nadine Dorries is officially still an MP.

Candidate announcements are beginning to trickle in.  Reclaim and Reform UK have announced a pact regarding Mid Beds and Uxbridge & SR, with Laurence Fox being the Reclaim candidate in the latter.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1853 on: June 12, 2023, 12:25:05 PM »

Nigel Adams is now Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead, and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is Steward and Bailiff of the Three Hundreds of Chiltern, so Selby & Ainsty and Uxbridge & South Ruislip are officially vacant.  For now, Nadine Dorries is officially still an MP.

Candidate announcements are beginning to trickle in.  Reclaim and Reform UK have announced a pact regarding Mid Beds and Uxbridge & SR, with Laurence Fox being the Reclaim candidate in the latter.
What a game changer.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1854 on: June 12, 2023, 12:41:17 PM »

What a game changer.

Last time Fox was endorsed by Reform UK he managed a glorious sixth place and 1.9% of the vote, though unfortunately he wasn't beaten by Count Binface.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1855 on: June 12, 2023, 02:21:25 PM »

On an entirely different subject, money laundering is a very serious matter.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1856 on: June 13, 2023, 12:44:00 PM »

Apparently, the writ will be moved for two by-elections tomorrow - so they should be up in the next four weeks. But Dorries hasn’t formally resigned yet?

(And regarding the previous comment - I hear the weather in Mongolia is lovely at this time of year)*

* If it’s not him, then I’ve officially lost track of MP scandals - there’s just too many right now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1857 on: June 13, 2023, 12:49:02 PM »

Yes, I hear the Steppe is quite magnificent.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1858 on: June 13, 2023, 05:52:15 PM »

Apparently, the writ will be moved for two by-elections tomorrow - so they should be up in the next four weeks. But Dorries hasn’t formally resigned yet?

(And regarding the previous comment - I hear the weather in Mongolia is lovely at this time of year)*

* If it’s not him, then I’ve officially lost track of MP scandals - there’s just too many right now.

Boris probably doesn’t want to give up being Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1859 on: June 13, 2023, 06:59:48 PM »

Boris probably doesn’t want to give up being Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds.

Makes me wonder how much the profit in 'office of profit under the Crown' is.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1860 on: June 14, 2023, 07:35:20 AM »

More Dorries drama, apparently. Obviously subject to change, but seems like a plausible explanation, in absence of an alternative:
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1861 on: June 14, 2023, 08:15:20 AM »

She's really not that bright, all told. A u-turn on this u-turn has to be a possibility.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1862 on: June 14, 2023, 10:17:41 AM »

She's really not that bright, all told. A u-turn on this u-turn has to be a possibility.

Her reaction (as she was sitting in the audience) to BoJo's withdrawal speech in 2016 is probably testament to that. She seemed genuinely shocked when he explicitly said he wasn't standing, even though anyone with half a wit about them could tell that that was what the speech was leading up to.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1863 on: June 15, 2023, 02:05:30 AM »

Dorries says her resignation will be delayed until she herself has investigated why she didn’t get a peerage:

Quote from: Nadine Dorries
There is much speculation about the time at which I become appointed the bailiff of Northstead Manor, as part of the arcane resignation process when standing down as an MP.

To put an end to this…
I am awaiting responses to my Subject Access Requests submitted to HOLAC, Cabinet Secretary and the Cabinet Office.  where I will then take the time to properly consider the information I am provided.

I have requested copies of WhatsApp’s, text messages, all emails and minutes of meetings both formal and informal with names of senior figures un redacted. My office continues to function as normal and will of course continue to serve my constituents of Mid Bedfordshire as we have done for the last 18 yrs until this time.

it is absolutely my intention to resign, but given what I know to be true and the number of varying and conflicting statements issued by No10 since the weekend, this process is now sadly necessary

A number of commentators have broken down why this won’t work for a number of legal reasons, but you probably guessed all that already. For my two cents, I think she wants to muddy the waters so she’s around long enough to speak/vote in the privileges committee debate on Johnson, scheduled for Monday. All bets off after that - could just as easily u-turn again.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1864 on: June 15, 2023, 08:10:48 AM »

It should also ensure any by-election is held after Uxbridge and Selby, thus potentially prolonging any resultant pain for Johnson's successor.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1865 on: June 15, 2023, 11:51:45 AM »

The two confirmed by-elections (Uxbridge South and Ruislip, Selby and Ainsty) have been set for July 20th.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1866 on: June 15, 2023, 11:54:59 AM »

The two confirmed by-elections (Uxbridge South and Ruislip, Selby and Ainsty) have been set for July 20th.

If Mid Bedfordshire is to be held on the same day the writ needs to be moved and thus Dorries needs to be out of the Commons by next Wednesday.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1867 on: June 15, 2023, 01:09:41 PM »

If Mid Bedfordshire is to be held on the same day the writ needs to be moved and thus Dorries needs to be out of the Commons by next Wednesday.

Odds on her resigning next Thursday?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1868 on: June 15, 2023, 01:11:22 PM »

Odds on her resigning next Thursday?

I suppose they could then schedule the by-election for July 21 out of pure spite. Might help the Tories hold on since tactical voters might get confused by strong Labour performances in the former two.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1869 on: June 15, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »

I suppose they could then schedule the by-election for July 21 out of pure spite. Might help the Tories hold on since tactical voters might get confused by strong Labour performances in the former two.

Is there a law that byelections and general elections must be on a Thursday or is that just a convention that could be easily ignored?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1870 on: June 15, 2023, 02:50:04 PM »

Is there a law that byelections and general elections must be on a Thursday or is that just a convention that could be easily ignored?

A convention, but it's over 40 years since there's been a parliamentary by-election not on a Thursday.  (OTOH, it's two days since there was a local by-election not on a Thursday.)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1871 on: June 15, 2023, 03:02:52 PM »

It should also ensure any by-election is held after Uxbridge and Selby, thus potentially prolonging any resultant pain for Johnson's successor.

lmao if Mid Beds is later could Johnson run in Uxbridge, lose, and then be put forward as the candidate for Mid Beds?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1872 on: June 15, 2023, 03:21:22 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2023, 03:25:44 PM by Torrain »

lmao if Mid Beds is later could Johnson run in Uxbridge, lose, and then be put forward as the candidate for Mid Beds?

Sorry to be boring. But it sounds like candidates are being selected over the next couple of days - with several selection meetings this evening for both Labour and the Conservatives. Even in Mid Beds there’s already a shortlist (lacking Johnson), where the by-election isn’t official yet.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1873 on: June 15, 2023, 04:13:56 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2023, 04:17:10 PM by YL »

Sorry to be boring. But it sounds like candidates are being selected over the next couple of days - with several selection meetings this evening for both Labour and the Conservatives. Even in Mid Beds there’s already a shortlist (lacking Johnson), where the by-election isn’t official yet.

Indeed, they have now picked a candidate, Festus Akinbusoye, the incumbent Police and Crime Commissioner for Bedfordshire.  (Which I suppose means that if he wins there will be a by-election in turn for that post.)

Meanwhile Labour picked Alistair Strathern, a cabinet member on Waltham Forest council in London, for Mid Beds, and Keir Mather, who is a policy advisor to the CBI and used to work for Wes Streeting and who will become the Baby of the House if he wins, for Selby & Ainsty.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1874 on: June 17, 2023, 03:16:54 PM »

David Warburton, the MP for Somerton & Frome who was suspended from the Conservatives over various allegations, is apparently resigning.  So it looks like we have another one!

The seat was Lib Dem from 1997 until 2015 and would fall to them on a 15% swing.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 126  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies