UK By-elections thread, 2021-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:58:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 125
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 170057 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: June 25, 2022, 09:24:51 AM »
« edited: June 25, 2022, 04:16:55 PM by Blair »

Well it wouldn’t be a shock if we have another south west by-election but god knows the Tories will be moving heaven and earth to stop any. The only seats that are safe are the ones facing Labour in Essex.

Also to be blunt MPs facing investigations often stay in Parliament- they in some cases get legal advice paid for them (as I believe the Hartlepool MP did via insurance) and leaving means they lose a large amount of their income.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1501 on: June 25, 2022, 09:48:55 AM »

T & H has historic LibDem strength whilst N Shropshire never really did, however.

It did, but a bit further back: they had a strong vote from the 1961 by-election onwards and at points seemed to threaten the possibility of maybe being competitive at some point, but they never followed through and things eventually fizzled out.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1502 on: June 25, 2022, 10:36:48 AM »

I don't know the numbers for Wakefield, but for T&H there were very few blank ballots--60 or so plus 50 overvotes.  There was some suggestion that angry Tories would vote blank, but they didn't.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1503 on: June 25, 2022, 11:08:04 AM »

I don't know the numbers for Wakefield, but for T&H there were very few blank ballots--60 or so plus 50 overvotes.  There was some suggestion that angry Tories would vote blank, but they didn't.
If you’re pissed off enough to not be willing to vote for anybody else, then you almost certainly just stay home. This is especially true for by-elections.
Logical

« Reply #1504 on: June 25, 2022, 11:34:40 AM »

The only seats that are safe are
Dnipro South and Kigali West?
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1505 on: June 25, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »

“The polls may suggest Boris Johnson is hideously unpopular, but here in a dinner 20 minutes out from Kyiv, he’s much more popular than he was even at the 2019 election. What are the polls missing?”
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1506 on: June 25, 2022, 02:01:48 PM »

If you’re pissed off enough to not be willing to vote for anybody else, then you almost certainly just stay home. This is especially true for by-elections.

They may have had postal votes, I’ve known people who want to abstain but already had postals to send in blank ballots.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1507 on: June 25, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »

Well it wouldn’t be a shock if we have another south west by-election but god knows the Tories will be moving heaven and earth to stop any. The only seats that are safe are the ones facing Labour in Essex.

Also to be blunt MPs facing investigations often stay in Parliament- they in some cases get legal advice paid for them (as I believe the Hartlepool MP did via insurance) and leaving means they lose a large amount of their income.

It really depends whether it reaches the recall threshold or not.  If it doesn’t I doubt there will be a by-election (compare Leicester East) but I don’t think the Tories will try funny business to avoid a recall again after the Paterson farce.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1508 on: June 26, 2022, 03:56:00 AM »

The traditional thing after a big byelection upset is to project the results nationally as Peter Snow's "just a bit of fun" - Tiverton/Honiton would have an almost total Tory wipeout outside three areas:

1) a belt through Lincolnshire into Fenland;
2) a ring of seats immediately to the north of the W Midlands;
3) a clutch on both sides of the Thames Estuary (ie Essex and Kent)

This is maybe a pretty good guide to the seats they could reasonably expect to hold in a byelection right now - the last bastions of Johnsonism.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1509 on: June 26, 2022, 04:10:49 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 04:58:56 AM by DINGO Joe »

So when does Somerton and Frome likely become a by-election?  Or can the Tories actually stall it for a time?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1510 on: June 26, 2022, 04:48:11 AM »

Depends on what the relevant Commons committee finds.

A sufficiently severe sanction means the recall process kicks in (and the loophole that enabled Delyn MP Rob Roberts to evade justice there has now been closed)

And I don't think the Tories will try that Owen Paterson nonsense again.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1511 on: June 26, 2022, 05:18:52 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 05:56:17 AM by DINGO Joe »

Well, he looks rather impatient awaiting his fate.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1512 on: June 26, 2022, 06:15:34 AM »

These things take time though- so could be months or even a full year.

The biggest danger is an immediate and panicked resignation at the first sign of national attention or a backlash e.g Paterson and Tractor man.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1513 on: June 26, 2022, 06:32:14 AM »

That looks like a much easier LibDem win than North Shropshire or Tiverton.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1514 on: June 26, 2022, 06:53:13 AM »

Is there a chance the Lib-Dem By-election machine might start getting fatigued ?, the supply of new activist seems rather top heavy and I don't think they're recruiting that many new ones given the anemic polling numbers.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1515 on: June 26, 2022, 07:35:43 AM »

Is there a chance the Lib-Dem By-election machine might start getting fatigued ?, the supply of new activist seems rather top heavy and I don't think they're recruiting that many new ones given the anemic polling numbers.

It really doesn’t take much for the Lib Dems to recruit candidates, let alone 1 per constituency for something as rare as a by-election. There’s a huge bench of councillors to choose from, and that’s not even accounting for the age-old Lib Dem strategy of reaching out to a local worthy, typically a GP at the local doctor’s surgery, a community activist who saved the town hall from being demolished, or similar.

As long as there’s a candidate, and some hope of a victory (which is higher now than it’s been since nearly 2010), they’ll be able to find canvassing volunteers - especially if they’ve followed their typical recruiting model. I’ll confess, the only time I’ve ever directly contributed to an election beyond voting was back in the 2017 GE. I was actually a member of another party at the time, but the Lib Dems ran a councillor with near universal approval as their constituency candidate, and I was persuaded to quietly drop a bunch of leaflets off in my village. Even my Brexit-supporting father contributed.

Everyone knew how hard she had fought to save our village park from redevelopment, and how hard she had pushed for our local high school to be rebuilt, let alone her 100% attendance rate at local galas and fundraisers for causes like the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

There’s a reason that we went from a wipeout to being the most marginal seat in the country in that election (with a margin of 3 votes). The Lib Dems picking a tiny introverted woman in her 70s as a first time parliamentary candidate made no sense on paper - but it did if you follow the adage “all politics is local” to its logical extreme.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1516 on: June 26, 2022, 07:37:11 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 07:42:34 AM by Coldstream »

If they hadn’t won 3 in a row, maybe. As of now, why exactly would they get fatigued? This is what they live for and it’s working - and it’s working better than it has for decades. Not since they won 5 in 13 months 72-73 have they had such a run.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1517 on: June 26, 2022, 08:18:55 AM »

I don't know how much of it was spent/wasted in 2019 but the party also has a lot more money than they once did.

They're also in a much healthier state as a party than they were in the coalition years; both in terms of the size & also the make up of its membership. I mean what reason would you have to campaign for the Lib-Dems in 2015?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1518 on: June 26, 2022, 08:41:20 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 08:46:46 AM by c r a b c a k e »

If there is an election in Somerton, it's also worth noting that Lib Dems are particularly enthused in Somerset, winning the recent unitary election there.

As for the MP That Must Not Be Named, his constituency is borderline - was ancestrally a swing seat but boundary changes and demographics have shifted enough that I don't think Labour would have the votes to win outside of a total Tory turnout collapse.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1519 on: June 26, 2022, 11:10:48 AM »

If there is an election in Somerton, it's also worth noting that Lib Dems are particularly enthused in Somerset, winning the recent unitary election there.

As for the MP That Must Not Be Named, his constituency is borderline - was ancestrally a swing seat but boundary changes and demographics have shifted enough that I don't think Labour would have the votes to win outside of a total Tory turnout collapse.

If you’re talking about Rees-Mogg, you’re wrong. Labour won the seat in last years local elections.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1520 on: June 26, 2022, 11:14:33 AM »

Ah now I think she means a different Honourable Member, one who cast his vote in the recent VONC in Johnson remotely.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1521 on: June 26, 2022, 12:54:08 PM »

With regards to Somerton, as noted, they won in recent local elections in Somerset, the Lib-Dems have already chosen their candidate for the "next" election, and they're literally next door to T&H.  If the situation with the current MP had happened to be at the petition phase already, they probably would have collected enough signatures just driving back from T&H.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1522 on: June 26, 2022, 01:43:24 PM »

The traditional thing after a big byelection upset is to project the results nationally as Peter Snow's "just a bit of fun" - Tiverton/Honiton would have an almost total Tory wipeout outside three areas:

This is maybe a pretty good guide to the seats they could reasonably expect to hold in a byelection right now - the last bastions of Johnsonism.

Seems telling that if the UK had a stronger far right populist party, these are presumably the kinds of seats they’d win. Goes to show what the Tories have increasingly become (hopefully to their ultimate detriment).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1523 on: June 26, 2022, 02:00:52 PM »

I'm honestly not sure about all of these in a by-election situation right now, given the temptation to give Johnson a kicking which even a lot of pretty loyal Conservatives feel. You'd just likely be dealing with very tight results rather than blowouts...
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1524 on: June 26, 2022, 02:10:00 PM »

Seems telling that if the UK had a stronger far right populist party, these are presumably the kinds of seats they’d win. Goes to show what the Tories have increasingly become (hopefully to their ultimate detriment).
It’s certainly true that these would be among the best areas for a far right populist party, but I’m not sure it says too much about the current Conservative Party. They held many of these areas even in 1997 (or gained them back in 2001/2005), it’s more that Labour and the Lib Dems are just not an attractive option to these sorts of voters so they go Conservative by default even if not totally happily. Poorer agricultural areas and ‘White Van Man’ territory have had an almost uninterrupted trend to the Conservatives since the mid 20th century. Funnily enough, Dartford (35% Conservative majority) is the UK longest running bellweather since 1964. Would very likely vote Conservative in a by-election even now.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 125  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies