The Catholic Church issues another statement about gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:23:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Catholic Church issues another statement about gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Catholic Church issues another statement about gay marriage  (Read 2057 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: March 19, 2021, 07:40:56 AM »

There are lots of cultural Catholics, and this has been going on long before the issue of gay rights was being debated.

Yes - the majority of Catholics worldwide are cultural Catholics. It is becoming a semi ethnic religion, like Judaism, which has more cultural implications than religious ones.

Define "cultural Catholic".
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 06:14:06 AM »

There are lots of cultural Catholics, and this has been going on long before the issue of gay rights was being debated.

Yes - the majority of Catholics worldwide are cultural Catholics. It is becoming a semi ethnic religion, like Judaism, which has more cultural implications than religious ones.

Define "cultural Catholic".

West Central Scotland.

When the same percentage still call themselves Catholic in the census but chapels are closing, and are quarter full on high holidays with an aging congregation pushing over 80, never mind over 65, priests recruited from Poland and almost no youth activity.

That's cultural Catholicism. It's identity without performance or performance without place.

Catholicism in Scotland? And in the Lowlands? I was under the impression that the Reformation had done its work there and there were practically no Catholics left (except maybe some Highland clans), just Presbyterians and Episcopalians.

1. Wrong thread for your memes.

2. In case you are not ironic: mostly Irish immigration since the 19th century and Italian, Lithuanian, Polish immigration since the 20th century, especially in the Glasgow area (so West Central Scotland).
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 04:12:51 PM »

A small but steadily increasing amount of the new queer religious bloc is being driven by heathens like me, at least in the more hippie faiths rather than the Varg Vikernes-type folk, even when said faiths arguably rest more on heteronormative essentialism and mystifying fertility and family than a lot of forms of Christianity. Whether or not this is a good thing for broader queer visibility and liberation is debatable, but it's helped me a lot personally.

I know someone, a lesbian who's been engaged to her girlfriend/fiancee for about seven years for whatever reason, who worships Jesus as one god among others in an Eclectic Wiccan context.

I feel a distinct inadequacy over my degree of syncretism now.

As I told you the other week, Cybele-Isis-Gaia-Astarte-Parvati-Marianism is there waiting for you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies