New official NPC thread (August polls coming, campaigning open)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:01:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New official NPC thread (August polls coming, campaigning open)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: New official NPC thread (August polls coming, campaigning open)  (Read 12448 times)
Peanut
Costa Rica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2021, 04:38:57 PM »

Thank you Ishan. I'll think about it and get back to you soon.

Also, regarding campaigning limits, while I have no desire to bring them back, I will be instituting a diminishing returns system wherein, after a certain word count, the value of a party's campaigning decreases by half. This will start from the June elections after I take the word counts from the May season and come up with a reasonable number.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2021, 09:43:49 PM »

Hey, sorry, but I'm afraid polls are getting pushed back to tomorrow. They'll be very interesting for sure!
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2021, 10:59:56 PM »

Hey, sorry, but I'm afraid polls are getting pushed back to tomorrow. They'll be very interesting for sure!
that’s fine. take a break!
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2021, 08:01:48 PM »

Presumably they will also include events done today?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2021, 08:07:36 PM »

Presumably they will also include events done today?

Yeah, all events up to this post will be counted in the soon-to-be-released polls.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2021, 09:44:22 PM »

Due to this act passing, I am wondering what are the voting systems of each Lincoln states/cities if you are willing to clarify?

Right, so, before polls, I have the following proposals:

Chicago - approval voting
NYC - standard IRV

Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio - standard IRV
Illinois - approval voting
Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey - two-round system, with both rounds being simulated by the GM (no campaigning after the normal deadline necessary)
New England except for Maine - standard IRV
Maine - score voting

These changes would apply starting with the May season, so New Jersey would be affected for this season, changing to a standard runoff system.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2021, 09:46:39 PM »

• Second polling update out Sunday, May 16th.
    • Third polling update out Sunday, May 23rd.
    • Campaigning closes Wednesday, May 26th.
    • Results to be posted during the last weekend of May.

We're still on track to meet all of these, btw. I'll see what I do about the NJ runoff situation (whether the first round gets posted before or both rounds' results are announced with the other results).

That said, fresh polls are now in the oven![/list][/list]
    Peanut
    Costa Rica

« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2021, 10:22:39 PM »
    « Edited: May 16, 2021, 10:41:35 PM by GM Peanut »

Atlasia Elects: May 2021
    Update on the state of play

Guam, with its Liberal Governor and Labor pluralities, not shown on the map. California stands for the San Francisco Mayoralty.

Active events:
    Utah death reports scandal hurting Labor a lot in Utah, moderately in Fremont
    Wisconsin legislators scandal hurting Labor moderately in Lincoln
    Missouri dam report helping Federalists a lot in Missouri, a little in the South

We're about halfway through what has been the most active NPC season with Peanut as host (despite historically low activity from the Federalist and Liberal Parties). An impeachment trial in a key state, phantom improvements in others, and a scramble for the biggest prizes up this month have marked the season, and with a week and a half to go still (and maybe even another events round!), anything could still happen in this month's NPC elections!

The state of the states:

Utah:

Governor: Tasha Robards, with a trifecta.

Administration's popularity: 39% - 57%

Polling:

Labor Party (inc.)  -  44%
    Democratic Alliance  -  43%
    Liberal Party  -  3%
    Federalist Party  -  2%

Well, Utah's been a mess: an impeachment trial that today concluded in disgraced former Governor Udall's conviction, a quick Labor reaction to cut loose from every association with the criminal (despite him being a cousin of the former Vice President!), and steady DA campaigning (bite-sized rallies across the state leave their priorities clear), the state has turned into arguably the marquee race of the May season as some parties try to break through Labor's Western red wall. While they are currently leading by just 1%, and haven't yet reached a majority, the party's campaigning has been impressively strong, they just have the misfortune of being dragged down by scandal in the state. The Young-Matheson horserace is definitely one to keep your eyes on

Wyoming:

Governor: Wynonna Thomas, with a trifecta

Administration's popularity: 79% - 12%

Polling:
    Labor Party (inc.)  -  67%
    Democratic Alliance  -  14%
    Liberal Party  -  6%
    Federalist Party  -  6%

Wyoming loves Wynona a little bit less, but they still LOVE her in a way that rivals the monopoly held by the Labor Party in the Dakotas.

Montana:

Governor: Governor Budd Fudrucker, with a majority in the House and plurality in the Senate.

Administration's popularity: 56% - 37%

Polling:
    Labor Party (inc.)  -  51%
    Federalist Party  -  15%
    Liberal Party  -  7%
    Democratic Alliance  -  7%

Governor Fudrucker promised a few weeks ago that, should any pre-election poll show him leading by a majority, he would get a tattoo of Montana with an accurate county map on his back. Earlier today, he kept that promise as he also boasted some of the high-profile endorsements he has received over the past few days, such as one Federalist state senator and the bear he wrestled on the steps of the Capitol. Neither endorser was available for comment.

Guam:

Governor: Pat Aguon, with Labor pluralities in the legislature.

Administration's popularity: 48% - 40%

Polling:

Liberal Party  (inc.) -  50%
    Federalist Party  -  17%
    Democratic Alliance  -  15%

Governor Aguon's popularity has recovered in the past few weeks. Nobody really knows why, but it's cool. The Liberal Party is also leading by amazing margins of the scarcely campaigned-in state.

San Francisco:

Mayor: Nora Chu

Administration's popularity: 45% - 45%

Polling:

Democratic Alliance  -  35%
    Labor Party (inc.)  -  34%
    Liberal Party  -  14%
    Federalist Party  -  11%

While the Citizen's Dispatch polled San Francisco the first time, the most common response when asked for an opinion on Mayor Chu was "meh". This time, the results were very similar. The race, which has not received much attention save for a couple DA ads and appearances, is rated as "eh" by those familiar with the city's situation.

Texas:

Governor: Ramsey Bryant, with a plurality in both chambers.

Administration's popularity: 49% - 45%

Polling:

Labor Party (inc.)  -  51%
    Federalist Party  -  30%
    Democratic Alliance  -  15%

Texas has seen a flurry of campaigning from Labor, the Federalists, Labor, the DA, and in case I forgot to mention it, Labor. Not Yankee's home region bonus, not the terrible management of the energy crisis, and definitely not the short campaigning from the DA have managed to stop the maroon party's meteoric rise in the polls as they appear poised to keep the crown jewel of their Southern chapter - for now.

Kentucky:

Governor: Hal Harlan, with a trifecta.

Administration's popularity: 42% - 46%

Polling:

Federalist Party (inc.)  -  45%
    Democratic Alliance  -  24%
    Labor Party  -  20%
    Liberal Party  -  4%

Not much has changed here, except Governor Harlan has won over some undecideds.

Missouri:

Governor: George Chamberlin, with a Federalist plurality in both chambers

Administration's popularity: 32% - 49%

Polling:

Democratic Alliance  -  39%
    Federalist Party  -  37%
    Labor Party/Peace (inc.)  -  16%
    Liberal Party  -  4%

The Show Me State is showing its Governor the way out, it would seem. DA campaigning here has been strong, and, while the Feds have campaigned scarcely, if at all, they have received good news here lately.

Vermont:

Governor: Joanne Campbell, with a plurality in both chambers

Administration's popularity: 49% - 45%

Polling:

Labor Party  -  48%
    Federalist Party (inc.) -  32%
    Liberal Party  -  17%
    Democratic Alliance  -  3%

Governor Campbell's decision not to run for reelection took many by surprise, but as of now the race to replace her has been dominated by Lincoln Governor (and Vermont native) Kaiser Dave's campaigning for the Labor Party.

New Jersey:

Governor: Bryan Baglieri, with a Labor plurality in both chambers

Administration's popularity: 49% - 42%

Polling:

Labor Party -  45%
    Democratic Alliance (inc.)  -  38%
    Federalist Party  -  14%
    Liberal Party  -  2%

S019's campaigning here has kept the state in the Lean Labor column, but the numbers for the DA have improved quite a bit as well.
    Peanut
    Costa Rica

« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2021, 12:21:33 AM »

First round of the NJ state elections will be posted Friday. After this, only the two best-performing parties will be able to campaign in the state (unless a party is above 50% in the first round, in which case the election ends). Also remember campaigning ends in one week, Wed 26th. Closing rallies (that is, the last event the party holds) will, as usual, have a larger effect in the calculations than normal ones.
    Sirius_
    Ninja0428
    Junior Chimp
    United States

Political Matrix
    E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2021, 08:58:32 PM »

What is the canon explanation of why some states have different electoral systems this month?
    Peanut
    Costa Rica

« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2021, 12:41:09 AM »

What is the canon explanation of why some states have different electoral systems this month?

Due to this act passing, I am wondering what are the voting systems of each Lincoln states/cities if you are willing to clarify?

Right, so, before polls, I have the following thoughts:

Chicago - approval voting
    NYC - standard IRV

Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio - standard IRV
    Illinois - approval voting
    Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey - two-round system, with both rounds being simulated by the GM (no campaigning after the normal deadline necessary)
    New England except for Maine - standard IRV
    Maine - score voting

These changes would apply starting with the May season, so New Jersey would be affected for this season, changing to a standard runoff system.

Basically, Lincoln's decision to leave it up to the states resulted in these systems being adopted in game canon.
    weatherboy1102
    Atlas Politician
    Atlas Icon
    United States

Political Matrix

P
    « Reply #186 on: May 21, 2021, 12:48:29 AM »

Having different systems for the states is pretty confusing. I personally think we should've stuck to what we were doing before
    OBD
    Junior Chimp
    Ukraine

Political Matrix
    E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #187 on: May 21, 2021, 01:05:09 AM »

Having different systems for the states is pretty confusing. I personally think we should've stuck to what we were doing before
    Seems to be more of a Lincoln thing than a Peanut thing here. Regardless of our personal opinions on this change, it's pretty clear Peanut is playing with the hand he was dealt by the General Court here.
    The world will shine with light in our nightmare
    Just Passion Through
    Atlas Legend
    Norway

Political Matrix
    E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2021, 03:16:04 AM »

Peanut is either insane or has the patience of a saint for actually going along with these.
    Peanut
    Costa Rica

« Reply #189 on: May 21, 2021, 06:30:50 PM »

NJ campaigning closes in half an hour.
    weatherboy1102
    Atlas Politician
    Atlas Icon
    United States

Political Matrix

P
    « Reply #190 on: May 21, 2021, 07:25:40 PM »

I was under the impression it would be midnight like everything else
    Peanut
    Costa Rica

« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2021, 07:27:12 PM »

How, when results are supposed to be out tonight? Anyways, your last few posts count. Did you have any more planned/written up? I wouldn't want to hurt you disproportionately, but I need to know before I compute results because I intended to do it early in the evening.
    OBD
    Junior Chimp
    Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2021, 07:34:15 PM »

How, when results are supposed to be out tonight? Anyways, your last few posts count. Did you have any more planned/written up? I wouldn't want to hurt you disproportionately, but I need to know before I compute results because I intended to do it early in the evening.
    I mean considering everyone was caught off guard by this announcement (Personally I had to speedwrite an additional event in 15 minutes, and I was planning to do at least a few more events tonight) I don't think anyone was harmed disproportionately here.
    weatherboy1102
    Atlas Politician
    Atlas Icon
    United States

Political Matrix

P
    « Reply #193 on: May 21, 2021, 07:37:23 PM »

I mean considering everyone was caught off guard by this announcement (Personally I had to speedwrite an additional event in 15 minutes, and I was planning to do at least a few more events tonight) I don't think anyone was harmed disproportionately here.
    I was going to do some events tonight as was Ninja, so idk if Peanut wants to like, extend it so everyone has a bit more of a chance? It'd be a bit odd but so was that announcement being so close
    OBD
    Junior Chimp
    Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2021, 07:39:30 PM »

I was going to do some events tonight as was Ninja, so idk if Peanut wants to like, extend it so everyone has a bit more of a chance? It'd be a bit odd but so was that announcement being so close
    It would be unfair to go back on this directive. Labor was also planning events tonight and we would have spent this interim period writing them, rather then pausing due to the campaign pause. While more advance notice would have been appreciated it is not fair to revert back now.
    weatherboy1102
    Atlas Politician
    Atlas Icon
    United States

Political Matrix

P
    « Reply #195 on: May 21, 2021, 07:41:55 PM »

It would be unfair to go back on this directive. Labor was also planning events tonight and we would have spent this interim period writing them, rather then pausing due to the campaign pause. While more advance notice would have been appreciated it is not fair to revert back now.
    In the end it's up to him I suppose
    Peanut
    Costa Rica

« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2021, 07:42:50 PM »

Get them done by 10 Eastern. Should be enough time to write and post the events you wanted to do. I'll be grading those already posted in the meantime, though by skimming it I expect the result to become easily apparent pretty soon.
    OBD
    Junior Chimp
    Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »

In the end it's up to him I suppose
    Indeed. It's my position though that this directive - while unexpected and slightly jarring - did not result in partisan advantage for one party, and should thus stand, but we'll see what Peanut has to say.
    Peanut
    Costa Rica

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2021, 09:01:25 PM »
    « Edited: May 21, 2021, 09:35:25 PM by GM Peanut »

weatherboy1102
    Atlas Politician
    Atlas Icon
    United States

Political Matrix