New official NPC thread (August polls coming, campaigning open)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:09:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New official NPC thread (August polls coming, campaigning open)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: New official NPC thread (August polls coming, campaigning open)  (Read 12458 times)
Peanut
Costa Rica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2021, 09:27:17 PM »
« edited: August 10, 2021, 09:08:14 PM by GM Peanut »

This thread will serve as the new official venue for communication regarding NPC polls and results. The rules and mechanisms with me as GM will be posted on Tuesday or Wednesday, along with polling and proper formatting for this thread - I just wanted to put this up tonight so we have an official one.

The campaigning period for March starts tonight and ends Friday 27th. Best of luck to all parties!

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 09:34:51 PM »

Quick clarification: do the campaigns done by me and Scott count? If not, we can probably repost them.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 09:37:59 PM »

Quick clarification: do the campaigns done by me and Scott count? If not, we can probably repost them.

Yep, I'll count them. My original intention was to count any campaigning done after my confirmation but before I announced the dates, but only Labor has campaigned since then (plus Ishan's post in the DA thread).
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 10:34:35 AM »

I would ask that the GM office please provide popularity characterizations ASAP so we can campaign accordingly.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 02:42:20 PM »

I would ask that the GM office please provide popularity characterizations ASAP so we can campaign accordingly.

Yes - polling numbers and approvals/popularity will come out tomorrow.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 09:22:01 PM »

Labor's candidate for OK Governor will be Hank Boomhauer, to make up for our failure to make a King of the Hill reference for Texas. What a blown opportunity.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 06:13:23 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2021, 06:23:14 AM by West_Midlander »

META: I don't know if this is the right place for this but I feel as though the GM is drawing in real life in making the NPC VA Governor's name a factor in her random event, re: the actual RDS ("monkeying around" is the first thing that comes to mind). However, given the moderate nature of the in-game Federalists, a racial gaffe seems very surprising. Additionally, Governor DeSantis could even be half-black, it was never specified on our part. Of course, she could still be prejudiced but this dramatically reduces the chance that she would hold and/or would say something like that.

I can understand giving us a negative event since we all have to have a turn but I don't understand making it racial given how our party is in-game, etc.

It's too late to retcon it now but since we are the defacto conservative party I doubt any other party would get a racial gaffe. However, since Atlasia is so liberal this 'conservative' party has a conservative wing but is only center-right on the whole. Finally, the way I campaigned for Gov. DeSantis (F-VA) implied that she was between center-right and mainstream conservative. I doubt that she, if she were a person, would say something like this.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 12:12:04 PM »

META: I don't know if this is the right place for this but I feel as though the GM is drawing in real life in making the NPC VA Governor's name a factor in her random event, re: the actual RDS ("monkeying around" is the first thing that comes to mind). However, given the moderate nature of the in-game Federalists, a racial gaffe seems very surprising. Additionally, Governor DeSantis could even be half-black, it was never specified on our part. Of course, she could still be prejudiced but this dramatically reduces the chance that she would hold and/or would say something like that.

I can understand giving us a negative event since we all have to have a turn but I don't understand making it racial given how our party is in-game, etc.

It's too late to retcon it now but since we are the defacto conservative party I doubt any other party would get a racial gaffe. However, since Atlasia is so liberal this 'conservative' party has a conservative wing but is only center-right on the whole. Finally, the way I campaigned for Gov. DeSantis (F-VA) implied that she was between center-right and mainstream conservative. I doubt that she, if she were a person, would say something like this.

Thank you. I'll definitely try to consider this in the future. Events involving state Governors (such as Gov. DeSantis in Virginia or Gov. Campbell in Vermont) are chosen randomly, and I will admit I haven't considered past campaigns. Each Governor's role will be better remembered in the future.

Prejudice can come from any source, Laborite, Fed, DA, anything, however, and while I will be more mindful in the future, I don't think the conclusion you're drawing is quite the correct one. This is not the place for that discussion, just thought I'd point it out.

I have planned positive and negative events for every party, based on both chance and registration numbers, and while the Feds have been the focus of this event in particular, future ones will be far more balanced, I assure you Smiley

Thanks for bringing this up, and since from now on I'll be grading campaigns I'll keep track of the style you bring to each state official you campaign for. Best of luck in this campaign!
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 01:13:09 PM »

As Fed Vice Chair, I'll officially declare that Governor Emily DeSantis is in fact half black.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »

As Labor chair, I'll officially declare that due to their varied life experiences (which include being bullied or seeing people they care about being bullied due to their race) that no Labor governor will make a racist statement, due to it being directly against their moral philosophy.

I mean if LT can retcon the race of his candidate I should be able to do this, no?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 01:41:49 PM »

As Fed Vice Chair, I'll officially declare that Governor Emily DeSantis is in fact half black.

Ok J.K. Rowling
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 01:42:49 PM »

Announcement: All Liberals are saints and will have no scandals /s
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 01:45:23 PM »

In August I will be supporting Independent candidate Joe Inslee for governor of Washington, he is best friends with every citizen of the state and also the best Pitcher in the Mariners and also has a net worth of 300 trillion dollars
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 01:47:16 PM »

Santa is real, in Labor, and is adored by every single voter.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 01:48:08 PM »

Also are we seriously going to play the "you can't be racist, if you're a minority game." I guess this means it was okay for Ted Cruz to support her family separations or it's okay for Eddie Bernice Johnson to deny the Armenian Genocide. Also don't even make this right v left, most of the left condemned Kurt Schrader when he compared lynching to impeachment, most of the left wanted Ralph Northam to resign. Meanwhile the right is silent on lunatics like Louie Gohmert doing whatever they like. Please spare us the holier-than-thou nonsense, we get it the right is infallible and can never do any wrong. Even now, nearly the entire left wants Andrew Cuomo gone, we expect decency from our politicians and when they don't show that decency they must be held accountable. Oh god, the nature of this discussion makes me feel like I'm in a USGD thread.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 02:02:57 PM »

“If you’re a federalist who’s having trouble deciding between saying something racist and not doing it, you ain’t white.”
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 02:10:04 PM »

Understood! I'm sure several black organizations will have something more to add regarding her controversial statements then, hmm?

On a serious note, I clarified things, both here on the forum and elsewhere, so I hope we're able to move forward positively. And while I had a laugh with these last few comments, I thank Cao for asking you all on Discord to please not clutter this thread Tongue
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2021, 03:00:16 PM by West_Midlander »

I mean if LT can retcon the race of his candidate I should be able to do this, no?

The Governor's race was never claimed either way before LT's proclamation and the Governor was not named during the campaign.

@S019: I literally said "Of course, she could still be prejudiced" but it's less likely for a PoC to be prejudiced. It's highly unlikely that someone who makes it to a Governor's office would be self-hating, but of course all conservatives govern in a way that hurts minorities in your view. It makes no sense to compare Ted Cruz to a moderate conservative Federalist in Atlasia.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »

This is why nobody wants to be GM, folks! Everybody wants an active game engine in theory, but when they get one they do nothing all day but bitch and moan when a story is unfavorable to them! Retroactively claiming your racist governor is black to avoid the consequences of a GM story is exactly the kind of cowardice we have come to expect from Low-Energy LT!
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 03:36:39 PM »

This is why nobody wants to be GM, folks! Everybody wants an active game engine in theory, but when they get one they do nothing all day but bitch and moan when a story is unfavorable to them! Retroactively claiming your racist governor is black to avoid the consequences of a GM story is exactly the kind of cowardice we have come to expect from Low-Energy LT!
I never had a complaint with Lumine. He was transparent and fair.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 03:38:32 PM »

The Governor's race was never claimed either way before LT's proclamation and the Governor was not named during the campaign.

@S019: I literally said "Of course, she could still be prejudiced" but it's less likely for a PoC to be prejudiced. It's highly unlikely that someone who makes it to a Governor's office would be self-hating, but of course all conservatives govern in a way that hurts minorities in your view. It makes no sense to compare Ted Cruz to a moderate conservative Federalist in Atlasia.

If you actually managed to read my post, you'd see that I also mentioned Ralph Northam, Kurt Schrader, and Eddie Bernice Johnson, so no it was not just directed at conservatives. Another example is Vernon Jones of Georgia, who made some very controversial plantation comments despite being AA, and he was a Dem when he made those comments. I can do this all day, if we want.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 03:43:48 PM »

I never had a complaint with Lumine. He was transparent and fair.
I never said I was only talking about you, though tbf, "Feds can't be racist, they are nice moderates!" has to be one of the most ridiculous criticisms of a GM story I have ever seen in six years in the game. But this is just the most recent example of a long history of players blowing their lids whenever a remotely adverse or difficult story is published. Yankee will remember how hard we had to fight to get people to engage with the Korea storyline back in 2017: most people just wanted to ignore it! You gotta take the good with the bad, or we might as well abolish the GM altogether.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 05:16:41 PM »

As DA's NPC coordinator, I hereby declare that all of our candidates are angels sent from heaven and they will perform miracles on behalf of the people of atlasia if elected.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 09:49:54 PM »

Update: I mentioned on Discord something came up irl that I need to get done, but the update will be posted, at latest, tomorrow (along with the regarly-scheduled COVID update).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 10:36:04 PM »

This is silly behavior by the Federalists, they should have given Peanut a chance to come up with a Labor scandal too. This idea that the Federalists are all nice moderates is silly too, they have said plenty of offensive stuff in the past. However, it may be best to just take a broad view approach to NPC politics rather than trying to go too specific, I'll leave that up to the GM though. I hope that people aren't allowed to think they can use unfair attacks to get special treatment from him though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies