The Citizen's Dispatch - the official publication of the Game Engine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:04:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Citizen's Dispatch - the official publication of the Game Engine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Citizen's Dispatch - the official publication of the Game Engine  (Read 7217 times)
Peanut
Costa Rica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 10:57:52 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2021, 09:06:16 PM by GM Peanut »

The Citizen’s Dispatch
Volume III

Opposition sa-squatched
Sightings of unidentified primate rise in Northwestern states, prompting authorities to seek government action

PORT TOWNSEND, WASHINGTON - In 2021 alone, sightings of unidentified primates (commonly known as Bigfoot) have increased tenfold from previous years, prompting environmentalist organizations to ask the government for protection for the unknown creature.
Mr. Denver Riggleman, an attorney who regularly spends his free time searching for the creature in the dense Atlasian forest, claims that Bigfoot is "as real as I am Atlasian", and gradually, members of the scientific community have grown accepting of his position, once deemed fringe and unscientific.
Additionally, several voices raise concerns of the government's role in suppressing evidence of the craeature's existence, for which purpose Congressman MB has presented a bill in the Congress. Actions from state legislatures have also asked for more transparency in handling Bigfoot and other cryptids: recent efforts for historical transparency in Midwestern legislatures have confirmed the existence of the Lake Michigan serpent, for example, albeit it was killed early in the 20th century.

COVID debt? No sweat!
Prominent economists ask for hefty billions in HB 28-17

CHICAGO- UChicago Economics professor Milton Sanders has authored a letter, signed by some of the brightest national minds in the field, asking the Atlasian government to help the roughly 13 million uninsured Atlasians, many of whom have accrued debt during the COVID-19 pandemic. For this purpose, the letter requests HB 28-17 be amended, at no concern for the deficit, to reflect a sum of anywhere between $90 000 000 000 and $20 000 000 000, though modifications either way are up to Congress to negotiate.

Pensions schmensions
Fremont budget comes at expense of several local services

With the starting date for drafting the new Fremont budget looming, concerns that pensions are not being properly funded reach local and regional officeholders: Mayor of Coeur d'Alene Steven Widmyer has asked Parliament to resolve the situation, since local governments have been forced to pay for such an essential service as the Discretionary Expenditures section of the regional HHS budget is not enough to cover both pensions and other department expenses, in direct conflict with FT 9-13. The solution appears simple to most local authorities, and involves a simple clarification in the next regional budget, as currently pensions are being funded only after other HHS expenses which leave roughly $90bn in the fund, meaning over $15bn of pensions expenses are unaccounted for and on the shoulders of local governments.

Amid Green rise and CDU collapse, German states vote and the CDU selects its candidate
Armin Laschet to lead embattled CDU into first post-Merkel election

The German CDU selected Minister President of North Rhine-Westphalia Armin Laschet as its candidate for Chancellor earlier today, and he takes the reins of a heavily weakened party in an uncertain political climate. Recent elections have left clear that the CDU is not performing nearly as well as they'd like, and in this (the first Citizen's Dispatch article on the very important German federal election) we can comment on an interesting and meteoric rise for the Green Party, who (if current trends were to continue) seem poised to overtake the CDU as the first place finishers in the election. Whether that holds until the September elections, or the CDU recovers its footing under Laschet, or some other variable shakes up the race, all eyes are on the race to elect the successor of one of the longest-serving German Chancellors.

Historian stunned at having to write a sequel, but claims character too fascinating not to write about
Acclaimed popular historian David McCullough publishes Truman 2, dealing with former Atlasian President and Fremont First Minister Harry Truman

NEW YORK - "This is really not what I'm used to", claims Mr. McCullough. "I've always written about dead politics, but I'm getting up there in age and Mr. Truman doesn't look like he's going anywhere, and he's such a fascinating figure I couldn't avoid writing something on him".

While this is very out of left field for the author, who specializes in the history of the defunct United States, he has always been very fond of characters called Truman, writing a doorstopping biography on another, less famous person of the same name. The newly-published biography describes the character of a contemporary figure with McCullough's distinctive flair and style, and has instantly become a bestseller.  Talks are currently ongoing for an HBO miniseries.

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2021, 09:04:29 PM »

Important clarification:

While I have always tried to post stories on subjects you deem important, I have recently grown concerned with my role on financial matters (which, per statute, should be limited to nonexistent). I will always post stories on important subjects, but I will not give cost estimates or alter game reality pertaining to the budget situation of any jurisdiction.

As such, the story on the Fremont budget found in the previous post is retracted. NPC campaigning made so far on the matter will be graded and taken into consideration for other parties, but to their benefit and not Labor's detriment: i.e, Labor will not be punished directly for it. Negative and positive event coverage will be coming up soon so that will give you folks opportunity to work around this and in other matters.

While I also thought about publishing stories on the Lincoln and Southern budgets as well, that sets a precedent I don't really want to set regarding bringing the GM office back to where it used to be. As such, a simple retraction of the story will suffice.

From now on, I'll entertain story requests only as they pertain to non-financial matters: I can give you public reactions, scandals, and letters from organizations, but not cost estimates or hard figures. I hope we can get along well with that system.

The story will not be deleted as it's a matter of public record.

-Peanut
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 04:00:12 PM »

In what states is marijuana legal?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2021, 04:17:57 PM »

It's legal at the federal level
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »

Can't states still ban it then?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »

Can't states still ban it then?
According to the Freak Power Act (2019):

Sales of these substances and the ages at which they may be purchased are subject to regulation by regions and localities.

They can't ban it but they can restrict sales. I don't know of any region that has done that.

There's also the High for Hours Act:

No regional, state, or local government in Atlasia may limit the number of Cannabis plants a person chooses to cultivate on their private property.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 11:43:26 AM »

Two requests on the backlog for next issue: one on the UAE and a request for a story on a bill. I also wanted to write a UFO story and a followup on the China situation. For more requests, feel free to PM me here or on Discord!
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 08:19:35 PM »

Can we get stats for the percentage of the population that has been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by region as well as the percentage of households sporting a high-speed internet connection by region, if it isn't too much to ask?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 12:38:18 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2021, 03:37:51 AM by Scott🦋 »

Would the GM Department submit a report on the February Texas power crisis and how the state government has responded?

Thank you.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2021, 07:58:26 PM »

Both requests seen, and will be covered next issue!
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2021, 06:56:27 PM »

Important GM ruling: the Texas energy crisis was as severe in our reality as it was irl. Proper stories coming tonight.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2021, 07:26:32 PM »

The Citizen’s Dispatch
Volume IV

Atlasians of Arabia
Aerospace employees fret over new bill

ABU DHABI - Several high-level employees at prominent aerospace companies, who wished to remain anonymous, that do business with the United Arab Emirates appear concerned about recent moves to freeze relations with the Republic's only current ally among the Arab states. The UAE, which has for some time now been our only ally there after relations with Saudi Arabia were basically stopped, is reportedly growing concerned that they'll add Atlasia, historically a friend, to a growing list of enemies, potentially destabilizing the region and opening doors for other nearby countries to grow in influence.

COVID who?
Vaccinations at unprecedented pace as CDC guidelines relax, Atlasia on track to herd immunity but naysayers remain

LOS ANGELES. Mayor of Los Angeles Earvin Johnson was beaming as he gave this interview to The Citizen's Dispatch, detailing how 65% of the city's residents already have at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. A similar story can be seen all across the country, where jabs are being given at breakneck speed and we can expect to be back to relatively normal within the next few months. CDC guidelines regarding mask-wearing, for example, have been relaxed to reflect this new reality.

There is one question governments should address, though. How will they deal with vaccine hesitancy? Is there anything the regional or federal governments can do to make those who are recalcitrant get their shot?

Cuando tenga las vacunas, sembraré la esperanza
Lower-income countries plead with Atlasia to aid in vaccine distribution

NEW DELHI- With many countries currently suffering from intense COVID waves, such as India and many Latin American nations, the world looks to Atlasia and President Sestak to lead the way in a global humanitarian recovery from the pandemic. The country can do a lot of good, from supporting the release of patents to just sending vaccine oversupply directly to the countries, but no official decision has been made.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi reportedly wrote President Sestak on the matter, as India continues to be ravaged by the worst parts of the pandemic.

A spectre is haunting Latin America
Latin American democracies imploding
SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA- Ínternational watchdogs are stunned at the recent chaotic events in Latin American nations. In El Salvador, President Nayib Bukele has impeached all members of the Supreme Court in a clear attempt to subvert the normal constitutional process. In Colombia, deadly protests have continued against the Duque government. In Peru, a recent poll shows Keiko Fujimori leading the runoff election, and concerns have been raised about both candidates' conviction in the democratic process.

While the nation's neighbors to the South are eroding, President Sestak and Secretary DC, as well as Congress, have remained completely silent. Will they comment? Will Atlasia involve itself, concerned for the future of the continent?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2021, 07:04:46 PM »

Will the British local elections/Scottish Parliament election/Welsh Senedd elections be covered?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2021, 07:20:19 PM »

Will the British local elections/Scottish Parliament election/Welsh Senedd elections be covered?

Come on. Except for *maybe* Scotland, none of that is relevant to Atlasia. Don't give him more work for no reason lol.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2021, 07:34:49 PM »

Come on. Except for *maybe* Scotland, none of that is relevant to Atlasia. Don't give him more work for no reason lol.

not just that, but the UK is one of the nations that has significant divergence from IRL, so the Labour collapse that we're witnessing in the Red Wall probably doesn't even exist, since Johnson was never Tory leader ITTL, iirc.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2021, 07:36:32 PM »

If the GM doesn't want to do it, I will withdraw the request and seeing as local elections would be too much, I'll withdraw that.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2021, 07:59:07 PM »

On this note, I was thinking maybe since the UK is basically part of Atlasia, there could be NPC UK elections, it'd be interesting for sure, even if most people here probably don't understand UK politics well.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2021, 08:04:35 PM »

On this note, I was thinking maybe since the UK is basically part of Atlasia, there could be NPC UK elections, it'd be interesting for sure, even if most people here probably don't understand UK politics well.

The UK is most certainly not part of Atlasia. Outside of residence establishment, there has been no gameplay related elements under that lens. The GM simulates the UK as a foreign country like any other, we have no control of domestic policy there, etc.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2021, 08:21:38 PM »

The UK is not part of Atlasia. Atlasians living in the UK can vote in regional elections and we have a common market with them. That is it.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2021, 08:39:24 PM »

Jesus Christ.

Anyways, sure, I can give a feature to the UK local elections next issue. Also, Mr. President, I would appreciate reactions and executive action on both China and the UN SecGen election, as they're both arcs I have quite a few ideas for!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2021, 09:11:06 PM »

Jesus Christ.
We're still waiting on Bir Tawil NPCs btw
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2021, 12:58:48 AM »

Jesus Christ.
We're still waiting on Bir Tawil NPCs btw

Much like I'm waiting for foreign policy action!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2021, 10:27:31 AM »

I will second Sestak's thread that unless Peanut wants to have the SNP pull off a #Atlasexit (for whatever reason; and giving the GM that much power tbh is a bit dangerous) there is no need for Peanut to do an issue on that.

I do have one question though: Why are people speaking Spanish in India? Tongue
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2021, 12:43:54 AM »

I will second Sestak's thread that unless Peanut wants to have the SNP pull off a #Atlasexit (for whatever reason; and giving the GM that much power tbh is a bit dangerous) there is no need for Peanut to do an issue on that.

Because Spain valued explorers.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2021, 08:30:16 AM »

Because I don't speak Hindi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies