IA - Victory Insights: Trump at 61%, DeSantis and Pence deadlocked w/o Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:45:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election
  2024 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  IA - Victory Insights: Trump at 61%, DeSantis and Pence deadlocked w/o Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA - Victory Insights: Trump at 61%, DeSantis and Pence deadlocked w/o Trump  (Read 886 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2021, 01:54:44 PM »
« edited: March 14, 2021, 03:14:58 PM by VXR »

EDIT: Refer to Mr. Morden’s post.

Trump 61%
-no other candidate breaks 10%-
Pence
Haley
Romney
Cruz
DeSantis
Noem
Pompeo

w/o Trump

DeSantis 25%
Pence 23%
Cruz 15%
Noem 7%
Pompeo 5%
Haley 4%
Romney 1%
Someone else 6%
Undecided 14%

After 2nd alignment

DeSantis 24%
Pence 23%
Cruz 21%

https://www.scribd.com/document/498489924/IowaGOPCaucus2024-PollReport-03-2021
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »

If Trump can keep these kind of #s up for another 2 years, he’s got the keys to the nomination again
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 02:26:42 PM »

DeSantis isn't the right fit, he is gonna have trouble in non Latino states

He ISNOT REAGAN
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 03:07:28 PM »

Trump 61%
-no other candidate breaks 10%-
Pence
Haley
Romney
Cruz
DeSantis
Noem
Pompeo

I don’t see the exact numbers listed in the doc, but from eyeballing the graph, I think this scenario is something like:

Trump 61%
Pence 8%
Haley 6%
Romney 5%
Cruz 4%
DeSantis 4%
Noem 2%
Pompeo 2%

w/o Trump

DeSantis 25%
Pence 23%
Cruz 15%
Noem 7%
Pompeo 5%
Haley 4%
Romney 1%
Someone else 6%
Undecided 14%

No, I think you’re reading it wrong.  These are not the numbers in the scenario without Trump.  They’re the numbers for 2nd choice amongst Trump supporters in the scenario *with* Trump.  In the scenario without Trump running, the numbers are more like this (again, I’m just getting this from eyeballing the graph on page 4, since they don’t actually list the #s anywhere):

DeSantis 20%
Pence 19%
Cruz 16%
Haley 10%
Noem 7%
Pompeo 6%
Romney 5%

This pollster is pretty clueless about the Iowa caucuses, since they seem to think that the GOP caucus has multiple rounds.  It’s only the Dem. caucuses that have multiple rounds, so there is no “2nd alignment” on the GOP side.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 03:11:34 PM »

In any case, this is another piece of evidence that DeSantis-mentum is real.  He was at something like 1 or 2% in every poll as recently as December.  Now he's consistently at least in the "top tier", if not leading, in polls that include him in a scenario without Trump.  That's a pretty significant bump considering how far out we are from the primaries.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 06:25:02 PM »

In any case, this is another piece of evidence that DeSantis-mentum is real.  He was at something like 1 or 2% in every poll as recently as December.  Now he's consistently at least in the "top tier", if not leading, in polls that include him in a scenario without Trump.  That's a pretty significant bump considering how far out we are from the primaries.

True, surprised he is doing so well with normal people and has such strong name recognition. Pence didn't stand out as VP though.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 06:37:40 PM »

I'm surprised Pence is doing as well as he is here.

But yes, the real noteworthy thing about this poll is that DeSuckass has clearly proven himself despicable enough for the party's primary voters to be a Republican rising star after all. Whether it's him or Trump being nominated, 2024 is going to be agonizing.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 04:51:33 AM »

If Trump can keep these kind of #s up for another 2 years, he’s got the keys to the nomination again
He already has the keys. I'm not the type to ever say "it is over" and certainly not 3 years before the primaries, but there needs to be one hell of a game changer if Trump is not to win it if he runs.

Trump is not a normal politician. The GQP is locked in a cult of personality, where your level of diehard support for Trump is all that matters. Short of prison, I don't see any scandal that could sink Donald Trump.

What makes it impossible for anybody else is that you can't run against Trump. When your main selling point is that you are a Trumpist, how could you run against the God Emporor himself? You would be a traitor in the eyes of the death eaters.

So basically I see only three likely scenarios right now:

a) Trump runs and easily wins. Barely anybody will even dare to challenge him. It will be like Hillary 2016 without Bernie Sanders.

b) Trump decides against running for whatever reason. Maybe he decides that he is tired of losing.

c) Trump is in jail or dead, so he can't run.

------

So if I have to envision a scenario where Trump runs yet doesn't win, I think a number of things would have to happen. The most important would probably the GQP running a lot of Trumpists in 2022 who lose BADLY and an overall terrible result for the GQP. Also, something would have to happen that makes Trump fade from the headlines and media attention, which seems unlikely. Really important is also the emergence of a new leader figure that inspires some of the same religious devotion that Donald Trump does. Ron DeSantis seems like the most likely here, but then again, not really.

Anyway, I think this last fantasy scenario is not even in the same league of likelihood as the three top options.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 10:23:17 AM »

Trump is not a normal politician. The GQP is locked in a cult of personality, where your level of diehard support for Trump is all that matters. Short of prison, I don't see any scandal that could sink Donald Trump.

At this rate, even a prison sentence might not matter to these cultists.., he’d run as the next Eugene Debs if he got locked up lol
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies