Tim Ryan Blasts GOP for Opposing Union Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:33:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tim Ryan Blasts GOP for Opposing Union Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Tim Ryan Blasts GOP for Opposing Union Bill  (Read 2211 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2021, 07:58:39 PM »

Is... is Tim Ryan gonna Sherrod his way into the Senate?

Tim Ryan is going to Sherrod his way to a four point loss and a happy retirement.

Depends on whether HR1 passes
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2021, 08:08:52 PM »

Is... is Tim Ryan gonna Sherrod his way into the Senate?

Tim Ryan is going to Sherrod his way to a four point loss and a happy retirement.

At his age, a career change is more likely.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2021, 08:36:55 PM »

This is the Tim Ryan I use to really like.

Tim Ryan is still pretty based
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2021, 09:23:10 PM »

Apparently Geraldo Rivera is considering running here
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »

We need more Dems to call out GOP hypocrisy like this. My opinion of Tim Ryan went way down after his dumpster fire of a presidential campaign, but this was an amazing speech. This is the kind of sentiment the Democratic Party needs.

If this was what people saw of the Democratic Party they’d win every election everywhere. Except maybe Miami and Mississippi.

The whole party needs to be more like Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown. None of the woke BS and focusing on kitchen table issues.

Ryan's previous anti-abortion stances are why the party will never get behind him at large. His votes on the partial-birth abortion ban and human stem cell research are somehow no-starters even though the last 2 Democratic nominees both voting for the Iraq War somehow doesn't hurt them. Even though I am staunchly pro-choice, he's made it clear he supports the Clintonian philosophy of "safe, legal, and rare" and his voting record reflects a change post-2006.

Overall, you're exactly right. Ryan's been in there for years fighting for worker's rights, a fair wage, fair trading policies, legal weed, and renewable energy.

While I certainly can't foreclose some DSA Bernie wing activist from baby Gardener enough traction off these old votes to mount a serious primary challenge, the Democratic bench in Ohio is just plain pitiful.. the age of these somewhat conservative positions combined with his current Progressive stance, along with damn near being the only game in town, gives him a big leg up in any primary.

Oh agreed, Ryan's very much one of the last of a dying breed. You most certainly know about Ohio politics more than I do, but could you see it being similar to PA where Casey's relatively conservative stances on social issues and strong pro-labor+pro-trade record gives him an edge with traditional working-class Dems that have left the party?

Casey is actually a pretty good example. His prior pro-life and adamant pro-gun positions have silently melted away. Push comes to shove he's fundamentally pro-choice. He's just done a good job triangulating and building an image that it's very tough to lump him in with any part of the woke wing of the party.

Come to think of it, like Ryan and Sherrod Brown, the issue has always been a matter of emphasis. They've made their bones in their career hammering on issues of economic policy and supporting unions, pro-labor policies, Etc. While their boats are reliable in terms of things like Republican judicial nominees or abortion legislation, and maybe even reasonable gun-control legislation as well, their image is rightly and justifiably crafted that people know them as a blue collar working guy representative human stuff to associate with things like Pepe Le Pew or Dumbo getting canceled.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2021, 03:04:27 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2021, 05:37:46 AM by slimey56 »

We need more Dems to call out GOP hypocrisy like this. My opinion of Tim Ryan went way down after his dumpster fire of a presidential campaign, but this was an amazing speech. This is the kind of sentiment the Democratic Party needs.

If this was what people saw of the Democratic Party they’d win every election everywhere. Except maybe Miami and Mississippi.

The whole party needs to be more like Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown. None of the woke BS and focusing on kitchen table issues.

Ryan's previous anti-abortion stances are why the party will never get behind him at large. His votes on the partial-birth abortion ban and human stem cell research are somehow no-starters even though the last 2 Democratic nominees both voting for the Iraq War somehow doesn't hurt them. Even though I am staunchly pro-choice, he's made it clear he supports the Clintonian philosophy of "safe, legal, and rare" and his voting record reflects a change post-2006.

Overall, you're exactly right. Ryan's been in there for years fighting for worker's rights, a fair wage, fair trading policies, legal weed, and renewable energy.

While I certainly can't foreclose some DSA Bernie wing activist from baby Gardener enough traction off these old votes to mount a serious primary challenge, the Democratic bench in Ohio is just plain pitiful.. the age of these somewhat conservative positions combined with his current Progressive stance, along with damn near being the only game in town, gives him a big leg up in any primary.

Oh agreed, Ryan's very much one of the last of a dying breed. You most certainly know about Ohio politics more than I do, but could you see it being similar to PA where Casey's relatively conservative stances on social issues and strong pro-labor+pro-trade record gives him an edge with traditional working-class Dems that have left the party?

Casey is actually a pretty good example. His prior pro-life and adamant pro-gun positions have silently melted away. Push comes to shove he's fundamentally pro-choice. He's just done a good job triangulating and building an image that it's very tough to lump him in with any part of the woke wing of the party.

Come to think of it, like Ryan and Sherrod Brown, the issue has always been a matter of emphasis. They've made their bones in their career hammering on issues of economic policy and supporting unions, pro-labor policies, Etc. While their boats are reliable in terms of things like Republican judicial nominees or abortion legislation, and maybe even reasonable gun-control legislation as well, their image is rightly and justifiably crafted that people know them as a blue collar working guy representative human stuff to associate with things like Pepe Le Pew or Dumbo getting canceled.

To an extent. Casey still supports the Hyde Amendment and every now and then sponsors symbolic measures like the 20-week ban that won’t ever pass. Though yes, the fact that he is a reliable vote on the Supreme Court and has a known record of supporting contraception while also earning the vote of my mom-mom who is very pro-life is a testament to his strategy. He can afford to be a pro-choice vote because after all, his family name is often mentioned with the words "undue burden". Agreed on other issues, he supported the high-capacity bill and has drastically softened his stance on drug abuse.

More or less it sounds like a matter of authenticity. The fact that all three have such a strong records on supporting policies that well.... improve their lives resonates with voters in the region. I do agree that they are a model for Dems in the Rust Belt. Same with Cartwright, Lamb, and Doyle. The DNC needs to pass this legislation and then hammer the GOP on being fiscally irresponsible for passing a massive tax cut.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2021, 07:05:43 AM »

Of course, the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage is to avoid the issues of income inequality.  Without formally announcing it, the Democrats have become the party of Big Business. 
The first sentence is wrong and anybody who has heard the Squad or Bernie give  a speech knows this.

The second sentence is true, but that has to do with the "less woke", more centrist, more establishment wing of the party and not the progressive wing. Of course, they'll always be #2 to the Republicans for getting into bed with big business.

The Squad are not the controlling faction of today's Democratic Party.  While I loathe them on a number of levels, they are not corporate shills, and there's a place for that.

There is, I agree, no party in America that is the kind of pro-labor party Ryan's speech typifies.  If there were, the Keystone XL pipeline would not have been stopped by Biden.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2021, 10:48:55 AM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2021, 11:26:30 AM »

Angus listens to Mainers, thank you King.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2021, 11:30:55 AM »

Of course, the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage is to avoid the issues of income inequality.  Without formally announcing it, the Democrats have become the party of Big Business. 
The first sentence is wrong and anybody who has heard the Squad or Bernie give  a speech knows this.

The second sentence is true, but that has to do with the "less woke", more centrist, more establishment wing of the party and not the progressive wing. Of course, they'll always be #2 to the Republicans for getting into bed with big business.

The Squad are not the controlling faction of today's Democratic Party.  While I loathe them on a number of levels, they are not corporate shills, and there's a place for that.

There is, I agree, no party in America that is the kind of pro-labor party Ryan's speech typifies.  If there were, the Keystone XL pipeline would not have been stopped by Biden.

Nah, the Pipeline never would've been proposed or taken up in such a case. Pollution isn't pro-labor.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2021, 06:20:36 PM »

Nah, the Pipeline never would've been proposed or taken up in such a case. Pollution isn't pro-labor.
Creating jobs in the extraction industry is pro-labor. Having them being unionized is even more pro-labor of course.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2021, 09:08:44 PM »

The Squad are not the controlling faction of today's Democratic Party.  While I loathe them on a number of levels, they are not corporate shills, and there's a place for that.

There is, I agree, no party in America that is the kind of pro-labor party Ryan's speech typifies.  If there were, the Keystone XL pipeline would not have been stopped by Biden.

Creating jobs in the extraction industry is pro-labor. Having them being unionized is even more pro-labor of course.
Handouts to non-union employers are by definition not "pro-labor."
It's only non-pro-labor if it comes at the expense of unionized workers. Some jobs is pro-labor compared to no jobs, and some unionized jobs is pro-labor compared to generic some jobs.
What matters above all is that the working class is earning a livelihood and has the infastructure to improve their bargaining power.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2021, 10:32:34 PM »

What is likely happening is that you say pro-labor and my mind is meshing pro-worker and pro-labor into one.
Not sure why I jumped in. Usually I'm better when it comes to the topic of precise terminology.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies