Tim Ryan Blasts GOP for Opposing Union Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:55:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tim Ryan Blasts GOP for Opposing Union Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Tim Ryan Blasts GOP for Opposing Union Bill  (Read 2190 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2021, 11:54:15 PM »

I might still be a Democrat if the Democrats were about what Ryan was talking about there and they threw the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage into the Dumpster Fire where it belongs.

Of course, the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage is to avoid the issues of income inequality.  Without formally announcing it, the Democrats have become the party of Big Business.  It's a shock to me, but if people are honest about it, they'll see that it's the case.
You understand Republicans were the ones who voted against this, right?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 12:01:36 AM »

I might still be a Democrat if the Democrats were about what Ryan was talking about there and they threw the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage into the Dumpster Fire where it belongs.

Of course, the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage is to avoid the issues of income inequality.  Without formally announcing it, the Democrats have become the party of Big Business.  It's a shock to me, but if people are honest about it, they'll see that it's the case.

Every single Democrat, minus one, voted for this bill.

Every single Republican, minus five, voted against it.

This bill is literally trying to undo things that state-level Republicans have been doing in this country for decades.  Things that they've run promising to do, and then gotten re-elected by touting.

Like, there isn't some secret you have to uncover here.  There's not some hidden agenda of the two parties where actually they have the reverse of their public positions.  One party is pro-worker, the other is anti-worker.  That doesn't mean the Democrats are anti-business.  They are just capable of balancing the two competing interests for the greater good, while Republicans had complete control of government for two years and didn't lift a finger to help workers beyond some half-baked tariffs that actually hurt workers.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 12:41:20 AM »

You understand Republicans were the ones who voted against this, right?

Republican voter logic: Supporting policies that promote worker rights and increase wages < worrying about Dr. Suess books and policing the bathroom.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 12:43:02 AM »

We need more Dems to call out GOP hypocrisy like this. My opinion of Tim Ryan went way down after his dumpster fire of a presidential campaign, but this was an amazing speech. This is the kind of sentiment the Democratic Party needs.

If this was what people saw of the Democratic Party they’d win every election everywhere. Except maybe Miami and Mississippi.

The whole party needs to be more like Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown. None of the woke BS and focusing on kitchen table issues.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 01:07:48 AM »

God Bless Tim Ryan.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2021, 01:16:48 AM »

This bill is literally trying to undo things that state-level Republicans have been doing in this country for decades.  Things that they've run promising to do, and then gotten re-elected by touting.

Like, there isn't some secret you have to uncover here.  There's not some hidden agenda of the two parties where actually they have the reverse of their public positions.  One party is pro-worker, the other is anti-worker.  That doesn't mean the Democrats are anti-business.  They are just capable of balancing the two competing interests for the greater good, while Republicans had complete control of government for two years and didn't lift a finger to help workers beyond some half-baked tariffs that actually hurt workers.

Well, yeah. I criticise Democrats a lot but they for all their faults accept the basic truth that prosperity is built on the backs of ordinary workers.

Republicans make a lot of noise about the workers, but that's it. White noise.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2021, 02:31:46 AM »

Then, he will run on it against Josh Mandel in 2022
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2021, 05:49:01 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2021, 06:17:23 AM by Frank »

Of course, the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage is to avoid the issues of income inequality.  Without formally announcing it, the Democrats have become the party of Big Business.  It's a shock to me, but if people are honest about it, they'll see that it's the case.

This bill is literally trying to undo things that state-level Republicans have been doing in this country for decades.  Things that they've run promising to do, and then gotten re-elected by touting.

Like, there isn't some secret you have to uncover here.  There's not some hidden agenda of the two parties where actually they have the reverse of their public positions.  One party is pro-worker, the other is anti-worker.  That doesn't mean the Democrats are anti-business.  They are just capable of balancing the two competing interests for the greater good, while Republicans had complete control of government for two years and didn't lift a finger to help workers beyond some half-baked tariffs that actually hurt workers.

I think there is no question the Democrats would like the support of especially big business, but with some exceptions like on corporate taxes perhaps, Democrats want it on their terms. I think they're leaving it up to organizations like the National Chamber of Commerce to decide whether they'd rather back the Democrats or the extremism of the Republicans.

There are a number of what I consider as 'good government' pro-business Democratic states.  Washington State, Delaware, Virginia and Colorado are four of those states, I think. What they have in common is they are fairly heavily to heavily suburban states.  In those states, Democrats have largely left the tax structures on corporate and income taxes alone, I believe, but they haven't been pro corporation at the expense of the worker or the public at large either.

What Democrats generally want in regards to corporate regulation here, is most often used with the example of fishing: when one person overfishes, it doesn't have a negative impact.  The problem is, it's in every fisher's individual interest to overfish.  However, collectively, in a short period of time, they're all going to lose.

This is partially often referred to as The Tragedy of the Commons
https://towardsdatascience.com/individual-gain-vs-the-common-good-tragedy-of-the-commons-with-ai-players-77ffb40f0c6a

The biggest example, I think, of this in recent years has been how the gains from free trade agreements were divided.  Every corporation, seemingly believing they were the only corporation to act this way, shared their gains mostly entirely with their top executives and shareholders.  The result was, as we seemingly know, the average worker did not gain from free trade, but only saw a seeming decline in job security from the increased competition.  This, in the end, poisoned the well of public support for free trade.

In short, whereas a Republican still tells business that 'what's good for General Motors is Good for America' Democrats are far more likely to tell businesses 'there are times where your excesses need to be reigned in, and, if you support us, that's what we're going to try to do.  But, in the long run, you and most Americans will be better off for it.'
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2021, 06:09:18 AM »

We will win in 2022, the Rs have been losing seats 33 seats in 2018 midterms and 4 losses in 2020, they are gonna lose seats again.  21 months is a lifetime in politics
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2021, 08:32:05 AM »

You don’t have to yell!
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2021, 10:52:31 AM »

Of course, the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage is to avoid the issues of income inequality.  Without formally announcing it, the Democrats have become the party of Big Business. 
The first sentence is wrong and anybody who has heard the Squad or Bernie give  a speech knows this.

The second sentence is true, but that has to do with the "less woke", more centrist, more establishment wing of the party and not the progressive wing. Of course, they'll always be #2 to the Republicans for getting into bed with big business.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2021, 10:53:40 AM »

Of course, the Woke and Intersectionalist garbage is to avoid the issues of income inequality.  Without formally announcing it, the Democrats have become the party of Big Business. 
The first sentence is wrong and anybody who has heard the Squad or Bernie give  a speech knows this.

The second sentence is true, but that has to do with the "less woke", more centrist, more establishment wing of the party and not the progressive wing. Of course, they'll always be #2 to the Republicans for getting into bed with big business.

All four (4) sentences are wrong.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2021, 10:55:49 AM »

Before he ran for president, I actually thought Tim Ryan was absurdly based, and this is a big reason why. His speech against the 2017 tax handout was fantastic. He needs to run for Portman's seat.

He's at 57c on PredictIt to win the primary:  https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7126/Who-will-win-the-2022-Ohio-Democratic-Senate-nomination

If he runs against someone like Mandel, he could steamroll him with this kind blue-collar anger pro-union pro-worker anger.  That's how Sherrod Brown wins.

You're serious?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2021, 11:22:37 AM »

Before he ran for president, I actually thought Tim Ryan was absurdly based, and this is a big reason why. His speech against the 2017 tax handout was fantastic. He needs to run for Portman's seat.

He's at 57c on PredictIt to win the primary:  https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7126/Who-will-win-the-2022-Ohio-Democratic-Senate-nomination

If he runs against someone like Mandel, he could steamroll him with this kind blue-collar anger pro-union pro-worker anger.  That's how Sherrod Brown wins.

You're serious?

Nobody with a D next to their name can win statewide in Ohio anymore.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »

Those who don't grasp the connection between labor issues and racial inequality still have a lot to learn. Tim Ryan is right here but without resolving racial prejudice and inequality you will never be able to fundamentally tackle labor rights. The Democratic Party can do both.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2021, 02:53:13 PM »

Great speech. Democrats should much more talk that way and microtarget voters with this kind of effective messaging. Republicans and their policies are anti-worker, but they are very successful in weaponizing social issues against Democrats by painting them as out-of-touch elitists that are more concerned about transgender restrooms than supporting blue collar workers (nothing against transgenders here, but unfortunately the media and Republicans have chosen to talk about that much more than the economic agenda of Joe Biden and others). They also scapegoat immigrants to gain cheap points among workers and reduce complex issues like globalization to simple platitudes.

Democrats absolutely must get smart in reforming or ending the filibuster to pass legislation like this bill. It can't be allowed that such rules from a past era stand in the way and nothing gets done.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2021, 04:21:58 PM »

Those who don't grasp the connection between labor issues and racial inequality still have a lot to learn. Tim Ryan is right here but without resolving racial prejudice and inequality you will never be able to fundamentally tackle labor rights. The Democratic Party can do both.

I agree that there is a connection, though in my circle, I'm tempted to say it the other way around: You will never be able to resolve racial inequality without tackling labor issues.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »

Sadly, the way Ohio is going, and in a Biden midterm, he'd still be an underdog 2 Mandel. Sad
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2021, 04:27:05 PM »

We need more Dems to call out GOP hypocrisy like this. My opinion of Tim Ryan went way down after his dumpster fire of a presidential campaign, but this was an amazing speech. This is the kind of sentiment the Democratic Party needs.

If this was what people saw of the Democratic Party they’d win every election everywhere. Except maybe Miami and Mississippi.

The whole party needs to be more like Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown. None of the woke BS and focusing on kitchen table issues.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2021, 04:50:58 PM »

All four (4) sentences are wrong.
There are only 3 sentences here.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2021, 05:19:10 PM »

This is great messaging, and it's what Democrats should be doing so that in the long-term they can build and hold a governing majority.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2021, 06:49:06 PM »

Ryan's previous anti-abortion stances are why the party will never get behind him at large. His votes on the partial-birth abortion ban and human stem cell research are somehow no-starters even though the last 2 Democratic nominees both voting for the Iraq War somehow doesn't hurt them. Even though I am staunchly pro-choice, he's made it clear he supports the Clintonian philosophy of "safe, legal, and rare" and his voting record reflects a change post-2006.

Overall, you're exactly right. Ryan's been in there for years fighting for worker's rights, a fair wage, fair trading policies, legal weed, and renewable energy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2021, 06:56:19 PM »

Ryan's previous anti-abortion stances are why the party will never get behind him at large. His votes on the partial-birth abortion ban and human stem cell research are somehow no-starters even though the last 2 Democratic nominees both voting for the Iraq War somehow doesn't hurt them. Even though I am staunchly pro-choice, he's made it clear he supports the Clintonian philosophy of "safe, legal, and rare" and his voting record reflects a change post-2006.

Overall, you're exactly right. Ryan's been in there for years fighting for worker's rights, a fair wage, fair trading policies, legal weed, and renewable energy.

While I certainly can't foreclose some DSA Bernie wing activist from baby Gardener enough traction off these old votes to mount a serious primary challenge, the Democratic bench in Ohio is just plain pitiful.. the age of these somewhat conservative positions combined with his current Progressive stance, along with damn near being the only game in town, gives him a big leg up in any primary.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2021, 07:04:29 PM »

While I certainly can't foreclose some DSA Bernie wing activist from baby Gardener enough traction off these old votes to mount a serious primary challenge, the Democratic bench in Ohio is just plain pitiful.. the age of these somewhat conservative positions combined with his current Progressive stance, along with damn near being the only game in town, gives him a big leg up in any primary.

Oh agreed, Ryan's very much one of the last of a dying breed. You most certainly know about Ohio politics more than I do, but could you see it being similar to PA where Casey's relatively conservative stances on social issues and strong pro-labor+pro-trade record gives him an edge with traditional working-class Dems that have left the party?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2021, 07:41:25 PM »

Is... is Tim Ryan gonna Sherrod his way into the Senate?

Tim Ryan is going to Sherrod his way to a four point loss and a happy retirement.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies