How would of Klobuchar performed against Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:00:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How would of Klobuchar performed against Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would of Klobuchar performed against Trump?  (Read 987 times)
Pink Panther

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »

She was/is popular among both Dems and Repubs, won her Senatorial Elections in blowouts, and was a moderate. But she's also not charismatic and exciting, and she has deep ties to Derek Chauvin.

Discuss
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 04:43:34 PM »

Klobuchar would have more appeal with suburban moderates but even less appeal with minority voters. Her winning map is probably 279 Electoral votes, winning back the blue wall and nothing else.

Edit: She'd have potential to flip AZ, but I can't see her matching Biden's performance with Native Americans or Hispanics, even if she does better in Maricopa.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 04:47:53 PM »

Better in popular vote slightly worse in electoral.  She would have done better in Midwest being from there so I suspect wins in Wisconsin and Michigan would have been more decisive and while probably would have fallen short, would have made Iowa and Ohio more competitive.  On other hand probably would have lost Georgia as she struggled with African-Americans so lower turnout amongst them but would have done better than Biden amongst blue collar whites.  But asides Georgia, I think results would have been the same winner for other 49 states so 290-248 maybe 291-247 as possible she would have flipped Maine 2nd.  Georgia I think she would have done as well amongst suburban whites, but with lower African-American turnout would have fallen short.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 08:16:47 PM »

Better in popular vote slightly worse in electoral.  She would have done better in Midwest being from there so I suspect wins in Wisconsin and Michigan would have been more decisive and while probably would have fallen short, would have made Iowa and Ohio more competitive.  On other hand probably would have lost Georgia as she struggled with African-Americans so lower turnout amongst them but would have done better than Biden amongst blue collar whites.  But asides Georgia, I think results would have been the same winner for other 49 states so 290-248 maybe 291-247 as possible she would have flipped Maine 2nd.  Georgia I think she would have done as well amongst suburban whites, but with lower African-American turnout would have fallen short.
Doesn't "Scranton Joe" or "Pennsylvania's 3rd Senator" also have midwestern roots.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 03:05:40 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2021, 03:41:10 AM by Ogre Mage »

She would have lost due to horrible press coverage and badly depressed African-American turnout in the wake of the George Floyd's death.  No black running mate could save that mess.  And she would not have performed better with Latinos than Biden (who did not have a great showing).

In an alternate reality where Klobuchar got the nomination and George Floyd never happened she might have won.  But that is a major rewriting of history.
Motorcity

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »

I don't think a women would have won in 2020

She would be painted as Hillary 2.0
SInNYC

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 11:50:34 AM »

I think she would of have been a definite loss in WI (weak AA turnout in Milwaukee, Hillaryesque support in progressive/populist parts of the north country), and a likely loss in PA (weak AA turnout in Philly, no special appeal to unions in rust belt cities). GA is also a definite loss, with weak AA turnout.

And thats the end since there are no Trump states she picks up over Biden.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 07:48:37 PM »

She probably would have won, by flipping MI/PA/WI.  Remember, she's won her Senate elections by 20, 35, and 24%.  Not many candidates of either party win by such margins in Minnesota.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 08:07:22 PM »

She probably would have won, by flipping MI/PA/WI.  Remember, she's won her Senate elections by 20, 35, and 24%.  Not many candidates of either party win by such margins in Minnesota.

A good chunk of rural Minnesota has stayed pretty dealigned, much more so than rural Wisconsin or Pennsylvania, although it's begun to decline recently. Klobuchar wouldn't have the local appeal in any of those states that she does in her home state, so I don't see her margins transferring there, or even in her home state in a more polarized presidential contest. Honestly, I think she would've only flipped Michigan back and maybe lost Nevada.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 08:18:22 PM »

We had this thread before and my answer remains the same that she would have collapsed with voters of color even as she probably still maintains, or comes close to, Biden's support with white suburbanites. The summer of racial upheaval definitely would have affected her worse than Biden. Possibly the only place in the country where she would do as well, or better, than Biden would be her home state of Minnesota. 
kwabbit

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 12:40:15 AM »

Maybe 273 Klob/265 Trump. She would've done worse in the PV than Biden but her coalition probably would've been much more efficient in the electoral college. She wins WI by 2, MI by 3.

PA I'm not sure of honestly. Does her 'Midwestern Appeal' really stretch to Pittsburgh? Does the goodwill that Biden had from being a PA native and longtime senator hold her back in Eastern PA? Does she drop even more with Black voters? I think this would've been down to the wire.

AZ and GA probably flip on account of her likely poor performance with Voters of Color. NV could've gone to Trump as well, I think she would've done pretty badly in Vegas. 
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 02:28:36 PM »

Doesn't "Scranton Joe" or "Pennsylvania's 3rd Senator" also have midwestern roots.

Um, Pennsylvania (mostly) isn't the Midwest. And Joe got a better swing in the cities, suburbs, and rural areas in the Eastern chunk when compared against the Midwestern west.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 02:47:52 PM »

Um, Pennsylvania (mostly) isn't the Midwest. And Joe got a better swing in the cities, suburbs, and rural areas in the Eastern chunk when compared against the Midwestern west.
Eh, Biden did well in Pittsburgh and Erie, while doing badly in Philadelphia. Allegheny county swung about the same as the Philidelphia Suburbs. Biden did well in NEPA, considering how poorly he did in other WWC areas.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 12:51:30 PM »

Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »

I think people are overestimating her chances, she would turn off nonwhite voters, particularly nonwhite men. She would flip MI, WI, but lose NV.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »

About the same.

Better in The Midwest, but worse in The Sunbelt [but anyone not named Harris or Beto was likely to be like this].

The downballot is probably f&*ked since it was so Sunbelt heavy.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »

She loses. Black turnout plummets after the news of her failing to prosecute the officer who killed George Floyd gets out, losing her Georgia for sure and possibly Pennsylvania, and making Michigan razor thin.  I also don't see her winning AZ, so Trump wins everything he won in 2016 minus MI.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies