Which representatives need to be primaried in 2022?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:16:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which representatives need to be primaried in 2022?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Which representatives need to be primaried in 2022?  (Read 2115 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2021, 04:32:38 AM »

You’re welcome to do just Democrats if you wish.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 05:29:47 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2021, 04:17:02 PM by beesley »

I hate the idea that anybody 'needs' to be primaried for ideological/partisan factors (poor representation, yes, but Mark Sanford and Joe Crowley were not especially poor representatives, excepting Sanford's poor conduct as Governor), so I'm just going to say Madison Cawthorn, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Steven Palazzo, David Schweikert and Beth Van Duyne need to be primaried for their conduct.

However there are plenty of Representatives on both sides I would like to see primaried, including Lauren Boebert, Mo Brooks, Ed Case, Emanuel Cleaver, Charlie Crist, Scott DesJarlais, Lois Frankel, Matt Gaetz, Lance Gooden, Alcee Hastings, Ronny Jackson, Hank Johnson, Derek Kilmer, Adam Kinzinger, Ann Kirkpatrick, Carolyn Maloney, Lisa McClain, Mary Miller, Alex Mooney, Ilhan Omar, Chris Pappas, Kathleen Rice, Bobby Rush, Kim Schrier, Eric Swalwell, Rashida Tlaib, and Jeff Van Drew. I'm confident you could find a better replacement for all of them.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 08:32:09 AM »

Greene and Boebert
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 09:41:04 AM »

Alcee Hastings probably retires.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 11:00:13 AM »

If Republicans are serious about remaining a serious political party, they need to sanction primary challengers to MTG, Boebert, and Madison Cawthorn. But I dgaf if they exist or not as a party, and think the world would be better off if they imploded so I dk about "need."

I think Justice Dems should focus on four or five representatives in 2022, and beyond that just incumbent protection, open seats including OR governor, RI governor, NY governor, but here they are:

Kurt Schrader: He already is at the far-right edge of the caucus, and will be likely redistricted into a much more liberal district.

David Scott: Way too conservative for his majority-Black, suburban Atlanta district. Not to mention that as House Ag committee chairman he is charged with regulating derivatives, an industry he has intimate ties to. Follow the Cori Bush playbook here.

Henry Cuellar: Hard to tell how easy this would be without redistricting, but he's endorsed Republicans, he's an extremely unreliable vote for House priorities, and 2020 showed he is beatable in a primary.

Josh Gottheimer: Apologist for corporate America. Trash talks his progressive colleagues. Is both rude and unlikable. Also very likely to be drawn into a bluer seat.

Steny Hoyer: Progressives need to take him out before he has the chance to mount a Speaker campaign. I think it's unlikely he would win anyway, but a primary campaign would damage him (I assume he'd survive it though).
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »

All the crazies, obviously. Most won't be successful but I'll take harm reduction in the case of MTG, Boebert, Cawthorn, etc if at all possible. Cuellar deserves a primary--hopefully Cisneros goes for it again and is successful this time.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 01:22:14 PM »

Jamaal Bowman
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 02:45:12 PM »

Republicans:
Kurt Schrader
Henry Cuellar
David Scott

Too conservative for the district:
Jim Costa
Lou Correa
Ed Case
Al Lawson
Annie Kuster
Steny Hoyer

If they're redistricted into bluer territory:
Cheri Bustos
Josh Gottheimer

Other/weird personal reasons:
Chris Pappas (lied to constituents for votes)
Seth Moulton (engineered a carpetbagger in my district)
Rick Larsen (condescending prick)

Senate:
Maggie Hassan (actively not supporting in general because $15)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 02:46:58 PM »

The Republicans who deserve to be mercilessly primaried are obvious. On the Democratic side, I'm most concerned with Schrader. Cuellar isn't great either, but he seems more in touch with his district than Schrader is, and it's a district that could potentially become quite contested, so as long as he can be outvoted I don't mind too much.
kwabbit

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 02:55:11 PM »

I don't think any one representative needs to be primaried. Generally speaking, the DINO/RINO congressperson is closer to the median voter than their primary challenger. They represent the electorate as a whole better, but perhaps not their party, or more specifically the subsection of their party that votes in primary elections.

This excludes crazies like Boebert/MTG, although the latter may not be all to far from the median voter in her district.

The $15 min. wage actually seems like a worthy issue to primary an incumbent rep. over though, given the broad public support. But squad-esque insurgencies in a lot of urban/inner suburban districts make representation worse. 
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »

Republicans:
Kurt Schrader
Henry Cuellar
David Scott

Too conservative for the district:
Jim Costa
Lou Correa
Ed Case
Al Lawson
Annie Kuster
Steny Hoyer

If they're redistricted into bluer territory:
Cheri Bustos
Josh Gottheimer

Other/weird personal reasons:
Chris Pappas (lied to constituents for votes)
Seth Moulton (engineered a carpetbagger in my district)
Rick Larsen (condescending prick)

Senate:
Maggie Hassan (actively not supporting in general because $15)

lol.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 08:40:02 PM »

If we elected an unapologetic liberal pastor of a black church in the Deep South, I'm sure we can have a Fight for $15 advocate in NH. Do you have a substantive rebuttal or are you just gonna sling mud again like when I criticized your favorite representative?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 08:45:36 PM »

If we elected an unapologetic liberal pastor of a black church in the Deep South, I'm sure we can have a Fight for $15 advocate in NH. Do you have a substantive rebuttal or are you just gonna sling mud again like when I criticized your favorite representative?

Wanting to primary Hassan is a joke that would be lucky to even get the support of 20% of dems in a primary, so no, it's not worthy of a response beyond "lol."
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »

Liz Cheney
Anthony Gonzalez
Jaime Herrera Beutler
John Katko
Adam Kinzinger
Peter  Meijer
Dan Newhouse
Tom Rice
Fred Upton
David Valadao

That should be the low hanging fruit in terms of republican primary targets.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 09:33:37 PM »

Wanting to primary Hassan is a joke that would be lucky to even get the support of 20% of dems in a primary, so no, it's not worthy of a response beyond "lol."

Yes, primarying Hassan is futile. She hasn't explicitly done anything showy like Sinema has, and the NHDP gives strong institutional support towards its incumbents. For example, they have the highest access fees for NGP van in the country, topping out at $40,000. For context, that's about how much the average Democrat raised in a quarter in the recent Congressional primary we had.

Luckily, the question is "Does Hassan need to be primaried," not "Will primarying Hassan succeed." Try again.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 11:14:43 PM »

Liz Cheney
Anthony Gonzalez
Jaime Herrera Beutler
John Katko
Adam Kinzinger
Peter  Meijer
Dan Newhouse
Tom Rice
Fred Upton
David Valadao

Thanks for giving us a few extra House seats, I'm sure you'll love four years of our trifecta expanding and redefining the role of government rather than just two.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 11:57:18 PM »

Yes, primarying Hassan is futile. She hasn't explicitly done anything showy like Sinema has, and the NHDP gives strong institutional support towards its incumbents. For example, they have the highest access fees for NGP van in the country, topping out at $40,000. For context, that's about how much the average Democrat raised in a quarter in the recent Congressional primary we had.

Luckily, the question is "Does Hassan need to be primaried," not "Will primarying Hassan succeed." Try again.

No not trying again, the fringe leftist takes are only worth my lol, good day.
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 03:24:32 PM »

Liz Cheney
Anthony Gonzalez
Jaime Herrera Beutler
John Katko
Adam Kinzinger
Peter  Meijer
Dan Newhouse
Tom Rice
Fred Upton
David Valadao

Thanks for giving us a few extra House seats, I'm sure you'll love four years of our trifecta expanding and redefining the role of government rather than just two.
If i remember correctly only Valadao and Katko are in Biden districs. and Valadao has a good chance of losing in 2022 unless the Dem vote collapses completely.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 03:36:51 PM »

Greene, Boebert, Cawthorn, and Tlaib should be the primary targets. Four embarrassments who are an active danger as long as they have a platform that allows them to spread their hate.

Bush and Bowman have also shown a gross disregard for facts in their short time in the job. They're not the worst, but I would actually encourage the Congressmen they displaced to try to take their jobs back.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 01:02:57 PM »

Greene, Boebert, Cawthorn, and Tlaib should be the primary targets. Four embarrassments who are an active danger as long as they have a platform that allows them to spread their hate.

Bush and Bowman have also shown a gross disregard for facts in their short time in the job. They're not the worst, but I would actually encourage the Congressmen they displaced to try to take their jobs back.

Equating Tlaib to three deranged Qanon lunatics is dumb.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 01:25:13 PM »

No not trying again, the fringe leftist takes are only worth my lol, good day.

More like you have no defense for the morally indefensible, and lean on the fact that your beliefs are explicitly endorsed (propagandized) by the mainstream media and liberal political consensus to disregard opinions that are different from yours.

I don't think it matters if Hassan is primaried, but I also think that by taking an extremely unpopular position for "moderate" cred she has further imperiled her position. Plenty of "fringe leftists" will either vote or sit out the midterm based on what the Dems accomplish, and Hassan hasn't been the most obstructionist in the caucus but certainly has sacrificed elements of the agenda for her own dumb attempt at branding herself (as the lowest in-demand kind of politician). But I've just resigned myself to the Democratic stooges' cognitive dissonance. Hassan will lose and somehow the left will be blamed, and Blue MAGA will just think the answer is more boring, white, old candidates running on corporate corruption...

lol
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »

GOP: Greene, Boebert, Cawthorn, Crenshaw, Bishop, Perry, Miller, Biggs, Gosar, Owens, Gohmert, Brooks, Jordan, Tenney, I'm sure I'm missing others, but you get the point

Dems: Tlaib, Omar, Schrader, Cuellar, Case, David Scott
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »

You’re not going to take our queen away from us.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2021, 03:50:12 PM »

Equating Tlaib to three deranged Qanon lunatics is dumb.

How many medieval blood libels does she have to share about Jews murdering children before you'll admit you're wrong?

That in and of itself puts her as far worse than Omar and the rest of the Squad.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2021, 03:50:51 PM »

I mean to clarify, I want all of these Republicans primaried from the left, in fact other than Omar and Tlaib, every person on my list would be primaries from the left.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies