Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:58:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 42182 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »

He will be found guilty on the manslaughter charge
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2021, 10:28:30 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2021, 12:10:40 PM by You Code 16 bits- What do you get? »

If the case is heading towards acquittal Minneapolis should announce the verdict in winter.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 10:29:14 AM »

He should be found guilty but we know how that goes.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 11:45:48 AM »

He has to be prosecuted.

I want him executed, on the death penalty.

If he gets off, the country burns.

The Democrats will take the blame, because they enable these protests and riots. Rightwingers don't care and they will seize on it to cultivate white Karens to buy guns and vote GOP and you will see Speaker McCarthy in 2023 ride this wave....in suburban districts.

Americans like police, they don't like crime and they don't see a problem--especially older white Americans.....

Bye Angie Craig, Lucy McBath, Tom Suozzi, Kathleen Rice, etc.

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »

He has to be prosecuted.

Um, no. Manslaughter charge is appropriate.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »

He has to be prosecuted.

I don't even think Minnesota is a death penalty state. Is it?

Also we have a big update:
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2021, 01:30:03 PM »

Yes, I think he'll go to trial. I don't believe he'll be found guilty of murder, though. Charging him with murder was always a pretty bold move, most likely done to calm the rioting. The manslaughter charge I do think he will be found guilty of, but there's no guarantee.

They dropped the manslaughter charge against him I believe.

They did? Well that's a big mistake, then.

Big time.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 01:31:36 PM »

He has to be prosecuted.

I would go Second Degree Murder, but that's not a death penalty crime either.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »

The security around the courthouse really is something. Armed guards out front, barbed wire and fencing....

I still have something that resembles PTSD just by viewing the riot images (and the aftermath in person) and will likely be back in Minneapolis when the verdict happens. I voted guilty but I'm expecting the ones who really started the sh!t (aka anarchist LARPing morons, and white supremacists and Boogaloo types, not local activistsand protestors) will try to start sh!t again regardless of the verdict. Luckily the authorities are prepared this time as is the National Guard.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2021, 04:37:42 PM »

I think Chauvin is toast and will get convicted of Manslaughter. I think the other 3 officers will be acquitted.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 04:40:52 PM »

Wouldn't there be a venue change?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 04:46:59 PM »

I think Chauvin is toast and will get convicted of Manslaughter. I think the other 3 officers will be acquitted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're all offered sweetheart plea deals to go against Chauvin.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2021, 05:18:15 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if they're all offered sweetheart plea deals to go against Chauvin.

They’d be dumb to take plea deals. They’ll almost surely be acquitted.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »

Death and 'autonomous zone' grip George Floyd Square ahead of Chauvin trial
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota — For residents of the neighborhood where George Floyd lost his life last May, peace and quiet increasingly seems like a pipe dream.

A grim tragedy erupted on Saturday night when another man died near what is now called George Floyd Square, an intersection of blocks that serves as a permanent vigil. This time, no police were involved in the killing of the victim, who authorities said died after suffering multiple gunshot wounds.

Kim, who serves as a medic for the "autonomous zone" organized by self-identified Black Lives Matter activists surrounding George Floyd Square, said she heard what sounded like "500 gunshots" during her shift.

"I was first on the scene. Emotions are just so high right now. I've been awake for 36 hours," she told the Washington Examiner. "You picked the wrong day to come here."

Kim said the man was black. Authorities have not identified the victim.

Makeshift barriers and gates surrounded George Floyd Square as of Sunday evening. No white people were allowed access to the area by local activists out of a supposed concern for the "healing" of the community, according to Kim. Those passing by the barricades were waved along and asked to leave, with those manning the gates treating their job as some sort of official duty.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 08:37:02 PM »

"George Floyd Square" was already a fairly rough area before this and I can't say I'm surprised considering what happened with CHAZ/CHOP. I don't see any reason why it can't be reopened. Keep the murals and memorials to George Floyd of course but they can still exist with the streets open. Most of the businesses in the area are open too.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2021, 10:04:04 PM »

I'm surprised that the Republicans on this board aren't complaining about Chauvin being canceled.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2021, 01:04:51 AM »

I mean he has already been prosecuted, but I don't think they'll convict him.  There will be riots because a lot of people don't understand our legal system, and think burning down a 7/11 will change it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2021, 01:26:36 AM »

I mean he has already been prosecuted, but I don't think they'll convict him.  There will be riots because a lot of people don't understand our legal system, and think burning down a 7/11 will change it.

And breaking into the capitol didn't change the election result, but that didn't stop your side from doing it. You have no room to make these cracks anymore.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2021, 04:24:53 AM »

And breaking into the capitol didn't change the election result, but that didn't stop your side from doing it. You have no room to make these cracks anymore.
Well the difference is the capitol was directly implicated in the counting of the votes, it is where the certification takes place.  There was a purpose.  But the looting and riots were random and wasteful.  It had nothing to do with their grievance. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2021, 08:26:22 AM »

Well the difference is the capitol was directly implicated in the counting of the votes, it is where the certification takes place.  There was a purpose.  But the looting and riots were random and wasteful.  It had nothing to do with their grievance. 
Really brining out the white hood there eh?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »

Racist and an overt violence supporting traitor. You're really pulling double-duty in terms of the race to the bottom Olympics!
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2021, 08:57:34 AM »

I mean he has already been prosecuted, but I don't think they'll convict him.  There will be riots because a lot of people don't understand our legal system, and think burning down a 7/11 will change it.

Well the difference is the capitol was directly implicated in the counting of the votes, it is where the certification takes place.  There was a purpose.  But the looting and riots were random and wasteful.  It had nothing to do with their grievance.  
Really brining out the white hood there eh?

There's a kernel of truth here: attacking a seat of power occupied by politicians (a group for whom there is little sympathy) was a smarter application of political violence than most of what was perpetrated by protesters in the summer. It was more likely to directly affect the power and less likely to engender sympathy for the power than setting fire to a shop because of the police.

It's easy to forget that the torching of the MPD precinct was much less controversial to begin with.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2021, 09:14:52 AM »

No white people were allowed access to the area by local activists out of a supposed concern for the "healing" of the community

what
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2021, 06:29:37 PM »

The left currently believe that if the left wing hivemind believes you to be guilty, you are guilty. No other proof is needed. And this type of thinking is supported by "moderates" such as Joe Biden.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »

The left currently believe that if the left wing hivemind believes you to be guilty, you are guilty. No other proof is needed. And this type of thinking is supported by "moderates" such as Joe Biden.

I believe Chauvin is guilty because I watched him murder Floyd on video with my own eyes, not because of the "left wing hivemind".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies