Should Kyrsten Sinema be primaried?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:42:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Should Kyrsten Sinema be primaried?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should Kyrsten Sinema be primaried in 2024?
Yes

No

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 130

Author Topic: Should Kyrsten Sinema be primaried?  (Read 3023 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2021, 04:30:38 PM »

I think yes, but I would like to make sure the challenger stands a chance of winning the general election. Someone more liberal/progressive than Sinema who's a good campaigner, but even in 2024, an Warren-type candidate or even AOC-like is probably a huge risk. Maybe Ruben Gallego would be a good contender.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »

no, dont talk about mommy that way
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:33:50 PM »

Yes, by someone who’s actually a Democrat.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »

It depends if Democrats are ultimately unable to pass major priorities (especially if they were otherwise able to), or if she is just posturing to get some crossover. In a Biden +0.3% state moderate heroism isn't necessarily a bad thing, just as long as it doesn't have consequences.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 04:36:12 PM »

Only if we 100% sure that more progressive Democrat will win general election
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »

No.

She’s only putting up such a fight because Manchin is there. No way would she be the 50th vote against Dem policy. Yes the other day was in bad taste but people make mistakes.

She’s popular in Arizona and while that state is trending blue it’s not trending blue in Virginiasque fashion like say Georgia is - so you’ll see another decade of purple Arizona where she is the type of Dem who can win.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 05:07:12 PM »

Absolutely.  I'm glad she won her seat when she did, but Arizona has changed a lot in two years and there's no reason Democrats need to settle for an ideological outlier.  Katie Hobbs, Ruben Gallego, or Greg Stanton should seriously consider a challenge.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 05:15:29 PM »

Absolutely.  I'm glad she won her seat when she did, but Arizona has changed a lot in two years and there's no reason Democrats need to settle for an ideological outlier.  Katie Hobbs, Ruben Gallego, or Greg Stanton should seriously consider a challenge.

The only direct comparison is the House popular vote, which went from D+1.70% to R+0.28%.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »

The only direct comparison is the House popular vote, which went from D+1.70% to R+0.28%.

Big picture, though:  Joe Biden won Arizona, so there's no reason to think Arizona Democrats need to be represented by someone significantly to Biden's right.

To be fair to Sinema, though, I'm not sure she's really "significantly" to Biden's right, and I probably would be okay with her keeping the seat as long as she doesn't screw with the Democrats' national agenda too much.  All things being equal, I'd probably prefer Gallego or Stanton, but I don't see Sinema as another Lieberman or anything.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 05:39:08 PM »

Sinema is by far the worst member of the Senate Democratic Caucus. Ruben Gallego would be my first choice for the seat, but literally any Democrat would be better than her.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 05:48:16 PM »

Yes.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 05:51:29 PM »

I'm willing to take the chance at this point.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 06:02:22 PM »

No, but Machin is the one that should lose, he just went on Fox news and said even if Sinema voted for HR1 he still would vote against eliminating Filibuster, Manchin isn't Byrd and can easily lose in 2023

WVA voted for Byrd that was during the time WVA was a D State, it's an R state and he is most likely to lose anyways in 2024
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 06:03:48 PM »

I'm willing to take the chance at this point.

We need WC females but we don't need Manchin, he is most likely to lose to a Generic R anyways

Just HASSAN voted against minimium wage but she has Shaheen behind her when she runs for reelection
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 06:32:35 PM »

Of course. The Republican Party has actively encouraged/facilitated primary challenges in situations like this, and this has been a major contributing factor in them getting more of their preferred legislation to pass when they’re in power. If Democrats want to do likewise, they should take a page from their counterparts’ book on matters like this.

In this case, I would like to note that I would have voted for Sinema’s primary opponent in 2018 had I been residing in AZ at the time (although I would have voted for Sinema herself over McSally in the general election). Her voting record in Congress has only strengthened my desire for another primary challenger the next time her seat is up for re-election.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »

Emphatically no. Maybe I'll change my mind if she actually starts costing us on real votes, but she was pretty helpful (or at least, attempted to be) in terms of lobbying Manchin to pass the stimulus bill.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 06:51:47 PM »

Obviously. Arizona is winnable by Generic D right now and definitely will be in 2024
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 06:57:50 PM »

The Ds wouldnt be in this predicament if they gotten rid of Fillibuster totally on 2013, instead they got rid of only the judicial Filibuster
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 06:59:28 PM »

It’s pretty much a guarantee she will at this point. When it comes to endorsements though, Sinema will probably get all the statewide endorsements while the progressive challenger gets all the usual activist endorsements from like Shaun King, Cenk Uygur, Nina Turner, and others that don’t live in Arizona.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 07:03:48 PM »

The Ds had the votes in 2013 but they were so concerned about judges, they weren't concerned about Legislation
NimrataSununu
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 07:15:36 PM »

No. Instead, she should switch parties.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 07:33:39 PM »

I mean, maybe we'll see drastic changes in the next four years, but my vote is, of course not, Arizona is very much still a purple state and won't go for a leftist. That's not to say Sinema could stand to vote a little farther to the left - she certainly could (though the Mark Kelly comparisons aren't fair; he's a white male former astronaut married to a popular ex-congresswoman who survived an assassination attempt, he's going to get more leeway from swing voters than the bisexual young woman).

If we're on this point (which maybe we shouldn't be - it was a totally inconsequential vote that would've needed support from 10 Republicans) - what about primarying Carper and Coons who represent a much bluer state?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 07:36:06 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2021, 07:39:31 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

Sinema is a Democrat. Sorry that reality doesn't care for your idiotic litmus tests!
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 07:43:08 PM »

Sinema is a Democrat. Sorry that reality doesn't care for your idiotic litmus tests!
This
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 08:06:31 PM »

what about primarying Carper and Coons who represent a much bluer state?

Porque no los dos?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies