Why did Joe Biden accuse Trump of "looking down" on Irish Catholics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:29:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why did Joe Biden accuse Trump of "looking down" on Irish Catholics?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Joe Biden accuse Trump of "looking down" on Irish Catholics?  (Read 770 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »

https://www.irishpost.com/news/joe-biden-accuses-trump-of-looking-down-on-irish-catholics-194127

?
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 02:11:06 PM »

1: Didn't you say that you were going to leave the forum for a whole year?
2: I'm not sure what Biden specifically meant by that, I think he said that because many Irish Catholics were immigrants and he was arguing that Trump was anti-immigrants? I remember Biden saying this during the debate but not the specific context.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 03:43:09 PM »

Trump comes from a WASP family that looked down on and exploited Irish Catholics, immigrants, and working class people. (Along with blacks; remember Fred Trump was a Klansman, and the KKK hated Catholics and immigrants as well.) Biden was alluding to this history, suggesting that Trump continues to carry on that rich WASP superiority complex no matter how much he pretended to care about the WWC, and I thought it was a powerful moment.

Also, leave the forum for a year.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 05:11:48 PM »

Trump comes from a WASP family that looked down on and exploited Irish Catholics, immigrants, and working class people. (Along with blacks; remember Fred Trump was a Klansman, and the KKK hated Catholics and immigrants as well.) Biden was alluding to this history, suggesting that Trump continues to carry on that rich WASP superiority complex no matter how much he pretended to care about the WWC, and I thought it was a powerful moment.

The only thing I’ve heard of Fred Trump being a Klansman was that he was arrested at a KkK Rally. Is there proof he was marching with the Klan that day? Was there other evidence suggesting his Klansmanship?
kwabbit

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 02:37:59 PM »

The only thing I’ve heard of Fred Trump being a Klansman was that he was arrested at a KkK Rally. Is there proof he was marching with the Klan that day? Was there other evidence suggesting his Klansmanship?

Who would be at a Klan rally that wasn't a participant or an eager onlooker?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »

Counter-protesters?
kwabbit

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »

Counter-protesters?

Perhaps, but I don't think Fred Trump would ever be a counter-protestor. Maybe he didn't support the KKK whole-heartedly, but he sure as hell wouldn't take a leap and protest against them.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 04:19:52 PM »

Counter-protesters?

Perhaps, but I don't think Fred Trump would ever be a counter-protestor. Maybe he didn't support the KKK whole-heartedly, but he sure as hell wouldn't take a leap and protest against them.

Maybe he was just a passerby that got caught in the fracas. Either way, there's no solid proof he was attending the rally as a Klansman.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 05:22:14 PM »

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 06:18:09 PM »

?
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »

because democrats and republicans like to yell and argue at each other on every issue and prove that they are good and the other guy is an idiot scumbag. that's just American politics for you.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 06:40:47 AM »

This is exactly why Ben Downing will beat Baker, Baker has a net disapproval rating since his Covid rollout

MA is an irish Catholic state and tired of Charlie Baker now.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »

I don't think Biden said Trump specifically looks down on Irish Catholics, I think he was implying that Trump reminds him of prejudiced WASPs when he was growing up.  He was trying to emphasize with groups that Trump looks down on today - Mexicans, Somalis etc.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »

Is there a group Trump doesn't look down on?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 01:55:54 PM »

Archdioceses is a Traditionalists, but everyone knows Irish Catholic are usually Ds and Archdioceses helps out the homeless too just like the Salvation Army does
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies