If romney won in 12, got reelected, in 16, and handled covid well, what is 2020 if ryan is nominee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:14:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If romney won in 12, got reelected, in 16, and handled covid well, what is 2020 if ryan is nominee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If romney won in 12, got reelected, in 16, and handled covid well, what is 2020 if ryan is nominee?  (Read 1365 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2021, 12:24:31 AM »

vs biden?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 02:51:05 AM »

I don’t think Biden would be the nominee in this case but a successful two term  vp would beat a unsuccessful one term vp cause all Ryan would have to do is compare and contrast this two .

Ryan also would be viewed as much differently than OTL by a long shot and so would Biden so it would be very very different than what a regular race between the two would be
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 03:18:39 PM »

I doubt Biden would be the nominee as well. Who did Romney beat in 2016? Hillary? If not her, it’s likely to be her and she can beat Ryan. If it was her, anything goes.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 03:33:47 PM »

A competent covid response would be extremely unpopular, combine that with the historic difficulty of securing a third term for your party and Ryan's DOA against anyone the Democratic party can find
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 06:46:10 AM »

Lol Ryan lost in 2012 due to fact HE WANTED TO REPEAL OBAMACARE AND TURN MEDICARE ONTO A VOUCHER SYSTEM AND Bane Capital went Bankrupt, that's why Obama won
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 09:57:07 AM »

Hopefully Dems nominate a candidate from the Midwest, maybe Whitmer.
Motorcity

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 11:03:44 AM »

Ryan would probably win because of voting restrictions. Honestly, I doubt free elections would be a thing in a country of 8 years of GOP control

Also, Democrats would have been out of power for 16 of the previous 20 years. I would be surprised if they weren't too busy with a circular firing squad.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »

If "handled covid well" is the same amount of deaths happening but not talking about it being a hoax or injecting bleach or whatever then no Ryan still wouldn't win. I highly doubt there was a way for the federal government to reduce deaths that much when we have such a large obesity (and other related comorbities) problem. But I think after that much Republican presidency that Dems would be naturally suited to take over anyway regardless of what happens.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 08:42:34 AM »

8th GOP year+ a fairly weak candidate in Ryan+ the economic effects of COVID=  A decent Democratic win in 2020, if they have a solid candidate*

*looking at the 2020 primaries, that's a big ask.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:33:48 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2021, 10:54:46 AM by Oregon Eagle Politics »

I don't know what you mean by "Romney Handled COVID Well." If Romney locked everything down, he would turn off conservatives/small business owners. If Romney locked nothing down, he would turn off moderates, and case numbers would be bad. I believe that America was doomed from the start when it came to COVID.

Paul Ryan would lose in the primary to a #populist like Josh Hawley. Ryan is very unpopular among the Republican base.

If Ryan somehow didn't lose in the primary, he would face some midwestern liberal (Maybe Gretchen Whitmer (who would be elected in 2014 in this timeline), Sherrod Brown, Tammy Baldwin, Etc.) who would choose Florida Governor Charlie Crist (who would have won in 2014 and been re-elected in 2018) as Veep.

Paul Ryan would lose easily, losing the PV by 8-9%, and with the Constitution Party Candidate getting 2% of the vote. He would turn off Paleoconservatives and would lose on the issue of the economy. He would embarrassingly lose his home state of Wisconsin, and Ds would keep the Senate and the House easily.

https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=852n
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 10:56:47 AM »

Ryan would probably win because of voting restrictions. Honestly, I doubt free elections would be a thing in a country of 8 years of GOP control

Also, Democrats would have been out of power for 16 of the previous 20 years. I would be surprised if they weren't too busy with a circular firing squad.
Rs probably wouldn't flip the senate in 2012, although Heitkamp would lose and maybe Tester as well.
Motorcity

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 12:49:15 PM »

Rs probably wouldn't flip the senate in 2012, although Heitkamp would lose and maybe Tester as well.
8 years of Romney means 8 years od turning a blind eye to state houses passing voting restrictions that basically gut the provisions of the voting rights act. Plus Romney replaces Ginsburg and Scalia
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »

8 years of Romney means 8 years od turning a blind eye to state houses passing voting restrictions that basically gut the provisions of the voting rights act. Plus Romney replaces Ginsburg and Scalia
Again, not sure what you are getting at. Romney would not be able to replace Kennedy, Ginsburg, or Scalia because Democrats would have the Senate. Republicans would lose the house/state legislatures across the country in 2014. That's just midterm dynamics.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 06:38:26 PM »

I don't know what you mean by "Romney Handled COVID Well." If Romney locked everything down, he would turn off conservatives/small business owners. If Romney locked nothing down, he would turn off moderates, and case numbers would be bad. I believe that America was doomed from the start when it came to COVID.

Paul Ryan would lose in the primary to a #populist like Josh Hawley. Ryan is very unpopular among the Republican base.

If Ryan somehow didn't lose in the primary, he would face some midwestern liberal (Maybe Gretchen Whitmer (who would be elected in 2014 in this timeline), Sherrod Brown, Tammy Baldwin, Etc.) who would choose Florida Governor Charlie Crist (who would have won in 2014 and been re-elected in 2018) as Veep.

Paul Ryan would lose easily, losing the PV by 8-9%, and with the Constitution Party Candidate getting 2% of the vote. He would turn off Paleoconservatives and would lose on the issue of the economy. He would embarrassingly lose his home state of Wisconsin, and Ds would keep the Senate and the House easily.

https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=852n

You forget after being VP for 8 years , the perception of Ryan in that world would be very very different. He would be mainly viewed as Romney's third term and by the time COVID started to real effect day to day life, Super Tuesday had been concluded along with the Michigan primary. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 06:40:29 PM »

In a world where Romney wins the tea party effect is probably much smaller than OTL so due to that I see them winning MO and IN as well and Romney winning proabably gets Allen over the line as well.

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 07:01:07 PM »

In a world where Romney wins the tea party effect is probably much smaller than OTL so due to that I see them winning MO and IN as well and Romney winning proabably gets Allen over the line as well.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you implying that Romney being popular enough to win in 2012 would've pulled Akin and Mourdock to victory? I don't see how since their scandals were independent of Romney and aside from Ohio his path of least resistance didn't run through that region. Besides, both Donnelly and McCaskill won comfortably with at least 50% of the vote, the latter winning by something like 15%.

Or are you saying that had the Tea Party not been strong enough for men like them to win primaries then Romney would've won, and along with him the GOP would've defeated Donnelly and McCaskill?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 07:13:30 PM »

I'm not sure I understand. Are you implying that Romney being popular enough to win in 2012 would've pulled Akin and Mourdock to victory? I don't see how since their scandals were independent of Romney and aside from Ohio his path of least resistance didn't run through that region. Besides, both Donnelly and McCaskill won comfortably with at least 50% of the vote, the latter winning by something like 15%.

Or are you saying that had the Tea Party not been strong enough for men like them to win primaries then Romney would've won, and along with him the GOP would've defeated Donnelly and McCaskill?

Im saying the latter as the Tea Party did hamper Romney a lot in that campaign. He was forced to denounce his own healthcare plan and move to the right across the board(on economic and social issues) that made winning very difficult for Romney.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 12:46:03 AM »

Biden wouldn't be the nominee but in that scenario the election is Ryan's to lose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies