Does wokeness help or hurt with POC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:06:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Does wokeness help or hurt with POC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does wokeness help or hurt with POC?  (Read 669 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:27:31 PM »

In 2020, the left went full #woke, yet minorities swung right.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 10:42:31 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2021, 12:15:21 AM by khuzifenq »

The overall nonwhite vote was always going to swing R. Latinos and Asians are making up a growing chunk of the electorate, and neither group was ever as Titanium D as black voters. Speaking of black voters, no post-Obama Dem was ever going to do as well as the first black president, and I’m mildly surprised Biden did as well with black voters as he did. I guess that’s what you get for being Obama’s VP.

I want to say yes- especially if it comes across as “posh white liberal” virtue signaling- but idk if it’s possible to isolate anti-#wokeness backlash from everything else that affected how different groups voted last year.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 10:30:56 AM »

I guess it really depends on what the alternative is, and exactly how we define wokeness. But overall, I'm not sure; it seems likely to me that it probably did cause a backlash with some more conservative non-white voters. And I think it's likely that, as Khuzifeq put it, some non-white voters reacted negatively to the “posh white liberal” virtue signaling embraced by some members of the Democratic Party.

On the other hand, I think a less woke Democratic Party might have invited lower turnout or a stronger left-wing third party candidacy.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »

David Shor seems to think "woke"-ism hurts, as far as Latinos are concerned.

Whatever the immediate role of the protests, a significant share of Latinos—especially men—do express conservative views on a number of racial and cultural flashpoints that align with Trump’s polarizing messaging, according to previously unpublished polling results provided to me by the nonpartisan Public Religion Research Institute. Most tellingly, roughly two in five Latino men, and one in three Latino women, say police killings of unarmed black men are isolated incidents, not part of a pattern—a view that’s common among Republicans but overwhelmingly rejected among Black people and white liberals.

Among both Latino men and women, about two in five reject the idea that slavery and discrimination have made it hard for African Americans to succeed, and similar numbers agree that discrimination against white people is now as big a problem as discrimination against minorities. In the exit polls, nearly half of Latino voters expressed an unfavorable opinion of Black Lives Matter, an even more negative balance than among white people, according to Edison’s results.

Overall, Trump’s success highlights the persistence of anti-Black racism in a portion of the Latino community, Gallego told me. “There are a lot of good Black-brown coalitions all over the country, but where there haven’t been, Trump and the Republicans exploited the fact … that there is an undercurrent of racism in the Latino community toward African Americans,” he said. “And it’s incumbent on Democrats and Latino leaders to push back on that.”
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 11:08:57 PM »

I guess it really depends on what the alternative is, and exactly how we define wokeness. But overall, I'm not sure; it seems likely to me that it probably did cause a backlash with some more conservative non-white voters. And I think it's likely that, as Khuzifenq put it, some non-white voters reacted negatively to the “posh white liberal” virtue signaling embraced by some members of the Democratic Party.

On the other hand, I think a less woke Democratic Party might have invited lower turnout or a stronger left-wing third party candidacy.

Perry Bacon Jr. summed it up pretty nicely. Shame he's leaving FiveThirtyEight like Claire Malone did.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/american-politics-now-has-two-big-racial-divides/

The data and research in the wake of the 2020 election suggests that many voters of color who backed Trump either already held GOP views on some racial issues or adopted those views to align with their decision to back Trump. So their views on racial issues are often closer to those of white Republicans than people of color who are Democrats. Meanwhile, white Democrats tend to have racial views much closer to people of color who are Democrats than white Republicans.

When you put those two things together (white Democrats getting more racially liberal and many people of color who are Republicans not being liberal on racial issues), the results are that Republicans and Democrats are very divided about views on racial issues, even as they are becoming less divided in terms of racial identity (more white people are Democrats, more people of color are Republicans).

It’s possible that the Democrats keep making gains among white voters and Republicans among voters of color. And even if those voting patterns don’t change, it seems very likely that the two parties will remain fairly split on racial attitudes. American politics in 2021 may be best described as a majority-white but heavily nonwhite racially liberal Democratic Party against a racially conservative and very-but-not-totally white Republican Party, with people in each camp pretty unified around their views on major racial issues.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:33:33 PM »

sh**t like this shows that wokeness is entirely to defend the crooked system.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/04/cia-woke-recruitment-ad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies