Why hasn’t Susan Wright consolidated GOP support the way Julia Letlow did?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:44:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why hasn’t Susan Wright consolidated GOP support the way Julia Letlow did?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why hasn’t Susan Wright consolidated GOP support the way Julia Letlow did?  (Read 708 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2021, 03:26:58 PM »

Julia Letlow has unanimous GOP support in LA-5, but Susan Wright isn’t getting the same treatment in TX-6. Why is that?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »

Might be a few reason Wright’s seat is more dense, as it reaches into the Dallas exurbs, whereas Letlow is more rural overall. Letlow also won his primary more significantly then Wright. Also Texas in generally seems to be more politically active
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 11:40:55 AM »

Also, probably a higher sympathy factor for Letlow given how much younger he was.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »

Also, probably a higher sympathy factor for Letlow given how much younger he was.

And the fact that he never got to take office.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 11:46:25 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 12:25:27 PM by Brittain33 »

I wonder if it matters that Letlow's district is likely to stay the same in 2022 while TX-6 is guaranteed to change in significant ways because of population growth and the new representative can help define the district they'll get.

I'm probably overthinking it, but that's a big difference between the two races.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 12:02:15 PM »

I wonder if it matters that Letlow's district is likely stay the same in 2022 while TX-6 is guaranteed to change in significant ways because of population growth and the new representative can help define the district they'll get.

I'm probably overthinking it, but that's a big difference between the two races.

That is an interesting thought, though it may cut both ways - i.e., people would be less eager to jump into a race for a district that is liable to change drastically (esp. when more junior Reps are typically less likely to benefit from pro-incumbent redistricting, except in the case of a party trying to protect a perceived rising star)
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 12:06:53 PM »

I wonder if it matters that Letlow's district is likely stay the same in 2022 while TX-6 is guaranteed to change in significant ways because of population growth and the new representative can help define the district they'll get.

Maybe, but candidates like Rodimer and Ellzey are just running to be in Congress at all costs.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 09:05:51 PM »

Open seat in a deep red state means a lot of pols considering jumping in.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 11:06:58 PM »

Wouldn't this description be more accurately applied to Louisiana? Texas is obviously still a Republican state, but Louisiana is much more Republican than it now, and shows no real signs of trending left.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 11:57:07 PM »

Wouldn't this description be more accurately applied to Louisiana? Texas is obviously still a Republican state, but Louisiana is much more Republican than it now, and shows no real signs of trending left.
True, it would. My wording was kind of clumsy but was designed to hint to a huge bench of ambitious pols, all from one party, wanting a promotion.
I apologize for the suboptimal wording.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 12:59:35 AM »

That is an interesting thought, though it may cut both ways - i.e., people would be less eager to jump into a race for a district that is liable to change drastically (esp. when more junior Reps are typically less likely to benefit from pro-incumbent redistricting, except in the case of a party trying to protect a perceived rising star)

It's actually in my eyes more likely to be the opposite: (under the the current redistricting ruleset) nobody cares to challenge Letlow because they expect her district to be the one thrown to the wolves if JBE gets the second AA access seat, which means a big redraw, whereas TX-06 will be drawn to your ideal GOP specifications for protection.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 07:30:42 PM »

It's actually in my eyes more likely to be the opposite: (under the the current redistricting ruleset) nobody cares to challenge Letlow because they expect her district to be the one thrown to the wolves if JBE gets the second AA access seat, which means a big redraw, whereas TX-06 will be drawn to your ideal GOP specifications for protection.

Ah - that is a very interesting point, though it's not the same as what Brittain33 was saying - they said Letlow's seat would remain the same, which is the opposite of what would happen if JBE gets the second AA seat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies