Would you ever consider a resume without a cover letter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:09:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Would you ever consider a resume without a cover letter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you ever consider a resume without a cover letter?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Would you ever consider a resume without a cover letter?  (Read 1844 times)
vitoNova
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:06:48 AM »

Imagine being such a lazy-ass bastard and not writing a cover letter for a job you covet. 

Even in the Federal government, there are silly rumors going around that hiring managers do not read them and that HR departments simply throw them in the trash and do not pass them along during the initial screening phase.   

Nothing is more beautiful in this world than a short, concise cover letter with zero grammatical errors, in which the syntax flows like a silky fine wine; and most importantly, is written in a manner that offers a glimpse into the applicant's personality.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 06:46:40 AM »

I hope to never be in a position to consider one and I hope to no never have to consider figuring out how to do my own.  I have never used a resume in earnest and got a job from it.  All of my jobs have come from on the spot, impromptu interviews (or, on two occasions, via a friend or family member vouching for me).
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 07:38:32 AM »

I loathe writing cover letters, but I did it every time I applied for a job. If I'm ever in a position where I have a say in hiring, I would not be bothered if an applicant did not submit a cover letter. I might be more interested in someone who submitted a nice cover letter, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 08:05:19 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2021, 01:54:53 PM by SecularGlobalist »

I hope to never be in a position to consider one and I hope to no never have to consider figuring out how to do my own.  I have never used a resume in earnest and got a job from it.  All of my jobs have come from on the spot, impromptu interviews (or, on two occasions, via a friend or family member vouching for me).

I'm just the opposite, and have never gotten a job like that.  

The entire concept of networking and "job fairs" (read: whoring yourself) seems weird to me.   Especially in the age of the Internet where the most efficient method of filling a billet is to post it online for the world to see.   And getting ideal candidates to fill said billets that do not depend on randomized personal relationships.  
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 08:33:29 AM »

I've never been to a job fair either, though I was planning on going to some at one point (they do them all the time on Air Force Bases because there is always a mess of people about to get out), but then I got my current gig.  The boss was calling around looking for Airmen that were about to get out who had a computer background and an active (and fresh) security clearance.  I fit the bill, so he had me come down during my duty hours to make sure I wasn't a loon.  Thankfully I was able to fool him.  I haven't had that many jobs, so I'll lest them/how I got them.

-grocery bagger/guy who worked there went to my church and vouched for me, no interview, just started working
-Subway/went with buddy to apply for jobs at the newly opened Subway, they didn't have any applications so the owner interviewed me.  I was wearing shorts and a tshirt, the owner had a cig dangling from his mouth with an oddly long ash on it.  He asked me two questions, do I have a car (I did) and can I start Monday (I could).
-construction worker/brother in law vouched for me
-Air Force/the normal way one joins the AF
-current job/described at top
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 11:30:31 AM »

I only read cover letters if the applicant has an ethnic name so I can check their English ability.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 12:31:29 PM »

Writing a cover letter was immensely painful until I acquired a marketable skillset in a field I liked. I also seem to have hit my stride in terms of successfully and efficiently highlighting my knowledge and abilities.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »

I've applied to jobs that have no place to upload a cover letter and just want your CV. Usually startup-y companies.

But I have to admit that like Cath, it took a long time to figure out the correct way to write a cover letter when you are still early on in your career. And as someone who is very fact- and merit-focused, it's also very tempting to just start repeating my CV instead of talking about why I'm a good fit for the company. Every cover letter I write goes through at least three revisions, which can be exhausting if you are spamming job applications.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 01:01:09 PM »

When I apply for jobs without any prior connections, my success rate at getting an interview is about 3%. It would be a remarkable waste of time to write a cover letter for each one, and if anything I've been less successful with the ones where I've had to write a cover letter.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 01:08:51 PM »

What exactly is a cover letter? From reading this thread, I guess you split the resume into two parts and the front part is called a cover letter? I don't switch jobs a lot. This is either an American thing or a white collar thing (I'm neither).
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »

it took a long time to figure out the correct way to write a cover letter when you are still early on in your career. And as someone who is very fact- and merit-focused, it's also very tempting to just start repeating my CV instead of talking about why I'm a good fit for the company.

True dat.

The cover letter is not supposed to rehash your skill-set.  That is what the resume is for.

The purpose of the cover letter is to immediately grab the attention of the hiring official(s).  And it should not be over 200 words.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 02:11:46 PM »

Imagine applying for jobs instead of just using your dad's trust fund money. Why haven't you guys thought of that?
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 10:39:34 PM »

Idk how to write a cover letter
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 03:48:44 PM »

Why would I need a cover letter?  People are supposed to ask you to put in for a job
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 06:55:39 PM »

Yes, if anything, I'd be suspicious of really good cover letters.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 08:04:55 AM »

Yes, if anything, I'd be suspicious of really good cover letters.

Even more of a reason why cover letters are important.

Using context clues (and comparing it with the resume), you can easily tell if the cover letter is actually the applicant's own words, whether it was lifted from the internet, or if the person is functionally illiterate. 
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 09:24:43 AM »

Of course someone from NOVA started this thread lmao.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »

I spent all of last summer applying for jobs/studentships, and I wrote three boilerplate cover letters, and then basically used edited versions for each application.

I'd never apply without one.

Especially in your early 20s, when you're lacking in experience, it's a chance to get as much of yourself across as possible. Especially given how short CVs are supposed to be in most of these applications.

I loathed every word of the self-promotion, but it was vastly preferable to spending additional months stuck at home, unemployed.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »

^^^^^^^

It depends; many positions I see posted only want a resume-nothing more.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 02:37:08 PM »

Sure, if it's not a "qualified" job then it's just kissing butt to write one imo.

I got my current job without having submitted one.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 02:40:23 PM »

When I apply for jobs without any prior connections, my success rate at getting an interview is about 3%. It would be a remarkable waste of time to write a cover letter for each one, and if anything I've been less successful with the ones where I've had to write a cover letter.

Exactly

I generally just have one letter I'll make very slight modifications to if necessary for when I apply.

Unless it's your dream job, you look like a suck up if you write a personalized one for every job.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »

^^^^^^^

It depends; many positions I see posted only want a resume-nothing more.

That's increasingly the case. Given I have my one size fits all letter, i usually send one regardless because why not, but employers know that 95% of the time the stuff in there is worthless and all that matters is on your resume.

They don't gain anything from demanding one and if anything probably lose out on some better applicants who wouldn't have applied for the job of they had to write one.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 02:52:15 PM »

Europe does lots of weird s**t that will never fly in the US due to potential discrimination complaints, like requiring a photo with your resume. 
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 04:10:24 PM »

I hate writing cover letters and I think they are a waste of time. If and when I am hiring an associate, I would consider a cover letter, but it will be among the last things I care about when looking for a good applicant.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 04:39:27 PM »

It's unfortunate that there isn't a better way for an applicant to demonstrate that they know how to write in this low-trust nation of ours.

Do you know who is completely incapable of writing in a short, concise manner that flows and provides a real glimpse into what the reader should expect? Whoever writes >90% of job listings, which often run to hundreds of words for the sake of filtering to people fluent in highly precise dialects of bullsh!t.

Must Be Able To:

- Concisely convey information to clients with ease and efficiency
- Engage professionally with team members
- Attend to clients' individual needs on a regular basis
- Demonstrate proficiency in both verbal and written forms of intra-departmental communication
- Adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment and master new and dynamic skills
- Organize, maintain, and update all relevant databases, case files, accounts, directories, contact lists, address books, catalogues, and requisition orders
- Grovel on demand
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies