FT 19.05 Frémont Response to the Mexico City Policy Act (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:56:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 19.05 Frémont Response to the Mexico City Policy Act (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 19.05 Frémont Response to the Mexico City Policy Act (Vetoed)  (Read 645 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2021, 11:54:24 PM »
« edited: March 19, 2021, 11:29:51 PM by Anna Komnene »

AN ACT
to revise the Preventing Atlasian Anti-Choice Coercion Act

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be "Frémont Response to the Mexico City Policy Act"

Section 2 (Text)
i. Whenever the Republic of Atlasia should restrict its expenditures according to the so-called "Mexico City Policy", the Commonwealth of Frémont shall be able to make its own funds available to those organisations affected by the aforementioned restriction, if the House of Commons should find such appropriate, not exceeding $500 million annually.

Section 3 (Repealed Acts)
i. The Preventing Atlasian Anti-Choice Coercion Act and the PAACCA Funding Act are hereby repealed.
Sponsor: Battista Minola

The floor is open for debate.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 05:28:59 AM »

I am not a fan of the gag rule, but I believe the language of the original act almost felt like a reverse gag rule. This is a revision.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 06:58:59 PM »

This is the original bill for reference to everyone:

Preventing Atlasian Anti-Choice Coercion Act

Section 1. Whenever the Republic of Atlasia should deign to restrict its expenditures according to the so-called "Mexico City Policy," the Commonwealth of Frémont shall make its own funds available to those organisations affected by the aforementioned restriction.

Section 2. The total sum expended according to the mandate of Section 1 shall be as near to the total sum withdrawn by the Republic of Atlasia under the so-called "Mexico City Policy" as the House of Commons may find appropriate, not exceeding $600 million annually, nor less than 50% of the total sum withdrawn.

Section 3. During such times, the Commonwealth of Frémont may withdraw funding from and levy taxes on so-called "Crisis Pregnancy Centers" in order to partially or fully balance the costs incurred.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 07:02:21 PM »

So the main changes are removing section 3 and changing the allocation threshold to $500 million? Or is the intent also to make the allocation contingent on parliamentary approval?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 07:06:54 PM »

So the main changes are removing section 3 and changing the allocation threshold to $500 million? Or is the intent also to make the allocation contingent on parliamentary approval?

Both of that (the change to the allocation threshold is not crucial, I just like rounder numbers).
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 07:11:50 PM »

Unfourtanetly, last president to revoke the Mexico City Policy was tmth, which was 2 years ago, so this bill is moot point for the time being.

I'd repeal this bill immediately as I defunded it as FM and voted against bringing it back several months later but I don't see this legislature doing such.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 07:31:49 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 12:59:49 AM by Anna Komnene »

You never know when a future president might do something, so I don't think it's a moot point to consider the response.

I'm not a fan of sanctions, so I would definitely support getting rid of section 3 from the original bill. I am leaning toward support for the rest, but I'll have to think it over some more.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 10:26:35 PM »

I am not in favor of the changes proposed by this legislation, obviously, and I would not sign such a bill. The purpose of PAACCA is to render any decision which a sitting or future president regarding instating the Mexico City Policy moot, and dispel any uncertainty that these global organizations will have the financial support they need to continue their vital work, by stating up front that Frémont will provide whatever Nyman withholds. Making such contingent on a vote of this body introduces uncertainty, and renders the deterrent of the original bill ineffective. I find the suggestion that PAACCA somehow represents a "reverse gag rule" bizarre, and cannot imagine how it could be so construed, unless perhaps you are referring  exclusively to §3. The reverse of a gag is freedom of speech, which I am happy to say PAACCA supports.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 04:50:43 PM »

I don't really have a good sense of where some members stand on this bill. Would you like to have a final vote Battista or do you want to advocate some more?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 07:54:04 PM »

I don't really have a good sense of where some members stand on this bill. Would you like to have a final vote Battista or do you want to advocate some more?

I would like to have a final vote, even though I really doubt this bill will pass.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 12:18:55 AM »

Alrighty. I'll motion for a final vote then. 24 hours for objections.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 01:53:03 AM »

Seconded. While I respect the motives of the honorable member from New Mexico, for the reasons previously given, I ask the house to defeat this bill.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 12:32:25 AM »

With no objection, we'll have a final vote on this bill. Members please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be "Frémont Response to the Mexico City Policy Act"

Section 2 (Text)
i. Whenever the Republic of Atlasia should restrict its expenditures according to the so-called "Mexico City Policy", the Commonwealth of Frémont shall be able to make its own funds available to those organisations affected by the aforementioned restriction, if the House of Commons should find such appropriate, not exceeding $500 million annually.

i. The Preventing Atlasian Anti-Choice Coercion Act and the PAACCA Funding Act are hereby repealed.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 12:36:18 AM »

Aye.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 01:20:40 AM »

Abstain.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 02:08:24 AM »

Aye? Don't really understand the changes vs PAACCA and don't care anyway.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 09:32:57 AM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 05:15:15 PM »

Nay!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 11:34:12 PM »

I don't really have a good sense of where some members stand on this bill.
It seems they don't either. Tongue
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 07:12:32 PM »

Abstain
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 07:14:48 PM »

With 4 votes in favor, 1 against, and 2 abstentions, this bill passes the Frémont Parliament.

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

Section 2 (Text)

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 4-1-2 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 08:04:58 PM »

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

Section 2 (Text)

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 4-1-2 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

VETO
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies