How did Bobby Jindal (LA) and Nikki Haley (SC) get elected in such rightwing states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:54:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How did Bobby Jindal (LA) and Nikki Haley (SC) get elected in such rightwing states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did Bobby Jindal (LA) and Nikki Haley (SC) get elected in such rightwing states?  (Read 1119 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »

Both are South Asian Americans, elected in a era where Republicans are seen as the party of resentful middle class white people, how did two South Asian conservatives get elected in states like Louisiana and South Carolina, poverty-striken states with high racial resentment?

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 06:57:03 PM »

By being right-wing. Jindal especially had built a very strong reputation as one of the nation's master deficit concern trolls.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:57:25 PM »

Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:13:06 PM »

Because they're right wing. End of discussion.

And same reason why Tim Scott, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz were elected in South Carolina, Florida, and Texas respectively.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 09:25:26 PM »

I seem to remember Bobby Jindal in particular being talked about as one of the most over-the-top right wingers in the country in the aftermath of the Tea Party wave.
lisaexample
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »

Let's not forget though, that Jindal lost a lot of usually very Republican rural parishes in 2003. He LOST LaSalle, Cameron, and West Carroll Parishes. And he didn't even break 60% in Livingston and Ouachita.

TBF, Blanco definitely was a trusted politician by many, (obviously not just any democrat could beat Jindal there), but I think there was an uncomfortable reason for such a big swing in those areas.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »

You can't overestimate how much of an albatross Katrina was for the Blanco administration, even if the fault lies more with the federal government. Any Republican was going to get elected after that.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 04:23:47 PM by TheElectoralBoobyPrize »

Let's not forget though, that Jindal lost a lot of usually very Republican rural parishes in 2003. He LOST LaSalle, Cameron, and West Carroll Parishes. And he didn't even break 60% in Livingston and Ouachita.

TBF, Blanco definitely was a trusted politician by many, (obviously not just any democrat could beat Jindal there), but I think there was an uncomfortable reason for such a big swing in those areas.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Jindal was not a good fit for rural areas even if he had been white because he was seen as an elitist and as an outsider. Ivy League education, spent most of his adult life outside the state, hadn’t been elected to anything, talked funny, etc. And yeah it helped that Blanco wasn’t a bad fit for these areas.
whale
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 02:41:24 PM »

For Haley, I think I remember that the primary field was split and Haley came from behind after an endorsement by Palin who had considerable political clout at the time
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 03:14:31 PM »

Because they're right wing. End of discussion.

And same reason why Tim Scott, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz were elected in South Carolina, Florida, and Texas respectively.

Not because of their race, since Republicans are racist?
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 03:16:56 PM »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Jindal was not a good fit for rural areas even if he had been white because he was seen as an elitist and as an outsider. Ivy League education, spent most of his adult life outside the state, hadn’t been elected to anything, talked funny, etc. And yeah it helped that Blanco wasn’t a bad fit for these areas.

Wasn’t Blanco catholic as well?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 04:09:35 PM »

Yes.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »

Yes.

Might’ve been what helped her in some of the southern Louisiana catholic parishes that are typically very republican now.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 04:34:11 PM »

Jindal and Haley are very right-wing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies