SB 28-24: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Voting)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:34:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 28-24: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Voting)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 28-24: Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act (Voting)  (Read 1217 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2021, 06:45:17 AM »
« edited: March 21, 2021, 07:54:27 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

AN ACT
To assist impoverished Atlasians and secure a better future for our posterity.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title
i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) with over 500,000 residents as of the most recently completed Census.
ii. Underperforming public schools are defined as publicly funded schools in the bottom twentieth percentile, as defined by the state they are located in.

Section III. Creation of Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Regional and local governments may apply to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for urban areas or designated portions of urban areas to be designated as Urban Economic Action District (UEAD).
     a. For an area to be designated a UEAD, the median household income must be below the national median household income, and the percentage of households receiving federal assistance such as SNAP (Supplemental nutrition Assistance Program) must exceed 20%.
     b. Once designated, a UEAD retains its status for five years.
     c. A UEAD may be renewed if it still meets the requirements after five years, however The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall launch an inquiry to determine why renewal was necessary.
ii. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall work with financial institutions to create loan programs to benefit UEADs.

Section IV. Programs for Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive a 3% federal corporate tax rebate, exclusive to the UEAD, for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Small businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive a 5% reduction in federal income tax for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving the aforementioned tax incentives shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

Section V. Food Desert Prevention Program for Healthy Kids
i. Full-service grocery stores within UEADs can offer a 25% reduction to SNAP and WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) beneficiaries to be reimbursed by the federal government.
ii. A package of pots, pans, utensils, measuring cups, and a cookbook will be offered to all SNAP and WIC beneficiaries.
     a. The Department of Agriculture will sponsor cooking classes in UEADs every two months.

Section VI. Deconstruction of Blighted Areas
i. UEADs may apply for grant funds to be used for the purpose of deconstructing and rebuilding blighted areas, with the consent of current residents of the affected blighted areas.
     a. UEADs may apply for grant funds to create public parks and housing developments in formerly blighted areas.
ii. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Housing and Urban Development oversight.

Section VII. Public School Improvements
i. Underperforming public schools can offer up to 33% higher pay to new teacher hires to be covered by the federal government.
     a. The 33% shall apply to the standard starting salary for the school district at the time of the UEAD designation.
ii. Underperforming public schools more than twenty years old may apply for grant funds for school improvements.
     a. Grant funds may be used for classroom remodels, new equipment, or other maintenance or improvements.
     b. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Education oversight.

Section VIII. Appropriations
i. $200 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
ii. $150 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Agriculture.
iii. $40 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Education.
iv. Additional funding can be allocated upon request, at Congress' discretion.

By a vote of 8-0-0-1, this bill passes the House.
X SevenEleven
Sponsor: Debating
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:45:17 AM »

I can sponsor.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 11:51:52 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the sponsorship of FalterinArc.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 01:51:43 AM »

Falterin is now sponsor.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 02:11:42 AM »

Thank you.

As my colleague from Fremont stated when he introduced this bill in the house, our poorest citizens in urban areas are unfortunately underserved. Through this bill we can create these "Urban Economic Action Districts" which can address the problem at the source by targeting specific regions for economic aid. These improvements will improve the lives of children in these districts in particular through the Public School improvements and the Food Desert preventation program. I fully support every aspect of this bill as a positive step forward in reducing poverty in Atlasia.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 06:08:13 PM »

This looks like a comprehensive bill and one that could make a huge difference- my only question would be with the large amounts of spending whether tax incentives are the best option, rather than more direct relief?

I know that tax relief isn't the only element of the bill but it seems like a large part of it.#

Edit: I'm very open minded on this but was just something that came to my mind.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 03:41:10 PM »

This is an excellent bill to expand our transportation grid and privileges for our people.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 05:46:02 PM »

This looks like a comprehensive bill and one that could make a huge difference- my only question would be with the large amounts of spending whether tax incentives are the best option, rather than more direct relief?

I know that tax relief isn't the only element of the bill but it seems like a large part of it.#

Edit: I'm very open minded on this but was just something that came to my mind.
This is a fair point but I think that the tax incentives are the best options for the businesses specifically. I think it's a better way to encourage them to invest in these districts rather than more direct compensation of the businesses if that''s what you had in mind? In any case I would be very open to supporting amendments on this if anyone has ideas on how to improve the bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 11:21:41 AM »

So whats next here? Amendments from Blair perhaps?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »

I'm largely happy with it as it is!
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 08:32:35 AM »

We can go to a final vote I think.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 09:09:03 PM »

I PMed Falterin about this one also.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 09:10:47 PM »

A vote is now open on this bill.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 11:27:45 PM »

Aye.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 11:31:10 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 07:55:30 PM »

I edited the op to reflect the vote.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 03:38:35 AM »

aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »

Abstain
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 07:29:53 PM »

Aye
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 01:07:34 AM »

Aye
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »

This bill passes 5-0-1-0

Aye: SevenEleven, FalterinArc, Blair, Spark, Pericles
Nay:
Abstain: Yankee
Didn't Vote:
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »

AN ACT
To assist impoverished Atlasians and secure a better future for our posterity.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title
i. The long title of this bill shall be the "Urban Investment and Redevelopment Act."

Section II. Definitions
i. Urban area is defined as a MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) with over 500,000 residents as of the most recently completed Census.
ii. Underperforming public schools are defined as publicly funded schools in the bottom twentieth percentile, as defined by the state they are located in.

Section III. Creation of Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Regional and local governments may apply to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for urban areas or designated portions of urban areas to be designated as Urban Economic Action District (UEAD).
     a. For an area to be designated a UEAD, the median household income must be below the national median household income, and the percentage of households receiving federal assistance such as SNAP (Supplemental nutrition Assistance Program) must exceed 20%.
     b. Once designated, a UEAD retains its status for five years.
     c. A UEAD may be renewed if it still meets the requirements after five years, however The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall launch an inquiry to determine why renewal was necessary.
ii. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall work with financial institutions to create loan programs to benefit UEADs.

Section IV. Programs for Urban Economic Action Districts
i. Businesses that open new locations within UEADs shall receive a 3% federal corporate tax rebate, exclusive to the UEAD, for the new location for up to three tax years.
ii. Small businesses within UEADs owned by residents of the UEAD are eligible to apply to receive a 5% reduction in federal income tax for up to three tax years.
iii. Businesses receiving the aforementioned tax incentives shall also be exempt from employer-paid payroll taxes on new hires that are residents of the UEAD for up to one tax year.

Section V. Food Desert Prevention Program for Healthy Kids
i. Full-service grocery stores within UEADs can offer a 25% reduction to SNAP and WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) beneficiaries to be reimbursed by the federal government.
ii. A package of pots, pans, utensils, measuring cups, and a cookbook will be offered to all SNAP and WIC beneficiaries.
     a. The Department of Agriculture will sponsor cooking classes in UEADs every two months.

Section VI. Deconstruction of Blighted Areas
i. UEADs may apply for grant funds to be used for the purpose of deconstructing and rebuilding blighted areas, with the consent of current residents of the affected blighted areas.
     a. UEADs may apply for grant funds to create public parks and housing developments in formerly blighted areas.
ii. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Housing and Urban Development oversight.

Section VII. Public School Improvements
i. Underperforming public schools can offer up to 33% higher pay to new teacher hires to be covered by the federal government.
     a. The 33% shall apply to the standard starting salary for the school district at the time of the UEAD designation.
ii. Underperforming public schools more than twenty years old may apply for grant funds for school improvements.
     a. Grant funds may be used for classroom remodels, new equipment, or other maintenance or improvements.
     b. All uses of grant funds shall be subject to Department of Education oversight.

Section VIII. Appropriations
i. $200 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
ii. $150 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Agriculture.
iii. $40 billion of initial funding is provided to the Department of Education.
iv. Additional funding can be allocated upon request, at Congress' discretion.

By a vote of 8-0-0-1, this bill passes the House.
X SevenEleven
People's Regional Senate
Passed 5-0-1-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies