Is Michigan moving R faster than PA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:41:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Michigan moving R faster than PA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Michigan moving R faster than PA?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Is Michigan moving R faster than PA?  (Read 2633 times)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:58:10 PM »

It clearly is. Trends in Wayne are real bad for dems as in Saginaw, Monroe, Bay, Muskeon, Eaton. So many WWC areas moving R.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:05:15 PM »

Michigan trended to the left by just under a point in 2020, while Pennsylvania trended half a point to the right. Plus Biden's margin in Michigan was better than in Pennsylvania. Compared to 2012, Michigan has trended 7 points to the right, while Pennsylvania has only moved about 5 points to the right, maybe that is what you meant. Still, it seems that Trump's 2016 win in Michigan was a bit more random luck than his wins in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania were.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 08:12:22 PM »

The state with two multi-million metro areas is moving to the left relative to the state with one multi-million metro area, yes.

Curiously PA and MI aren't too different in terms of bachelors attainment (30.1% vs 28.1%) or advanced degree holders (11.8% vs 11.0%) although in terms of rank they are somewhat distinct (24 vs. 34 for BS and 19 vs 22 for advanced degrees).
EastwoodS

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:43:38 PM »

Even though PA looks more favorable according to 2020 results, it seems like it may be a giant tease for a while, Michigan definitely looks more promising, for sure.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:49:44 PM »

I think so considering population shifts. The Detroit area is losing population relative to the rest of the state, which is not true for the Philadelphia area.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 08:52:08 PM »

Longterm I think PA is much more favorable to Democrats than Michigan.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 09:23:23 PM »

I used to think so, but not anymore. Except for 2016 and 2008, MI has voted 2-4% to the left of PA since 1996.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 09:41:37 PM »

Appalachia and the Ohio River Valley are a giant death zone for the Democrats. Western PA outside of Pittsburgh is turning into WV. Michigan has lots of WWC but it is not part of Appalachia. Michigan long term is more likely to stick with the Democrats.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 09:44:20 PM »

Dems are doing a better job appealing to rural voters in MI, Biden made big gains in rural northern MI. Democrats have further room to erode in western MI outside of Pittsburgh.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 11:12:46 AM »

Dems are doing a better job appealing to rural voters in MI, Biden made big gains in rural northern MI. Democrats have further room to erode in western MI outside of Pittsburgh.

Western PA's population is declining though whereas the Philly burbs+Lehigh Valley are growing. That population growth is what flipped Northampton County for Biden and caused Lehigh/Monroe/Northampton to trend blue. In addition, Casey won by double digits in a D+8 national environment, which demonstrates how the GOP needs super-heated rural turnout to even have a shot.

What's interesting is PA was the only state to have both a D-congressional district where Trump won the popular vote (Cartwright) and an R-congressional district where Biden won (Fitzpatrick)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »

I do think that the Democrats have a brighter future in Pennsylvania than they do in Michigan. If you look at population trends, the R-trending areas (Western and central PA) are bleeding in population while the more D-trending areas (Philly collar, Lehigh Valley, State College area) are gaining.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 11:36:32 AM »

I expected this was the case, but then Biden really overperformed in Michigan vs. what happened in all the other competitive states.  On top of that, Biden likely had some home state advantage in PA and still only won by 1%.  It's enough to make me wonder if PA is gone outside of 2008 style blowouts going forward?
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 12:22:01 PM »

Cautiously no, based on 2020 results, but I do think Dems have more room to fall in Michigan than in PA.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 12:33:42 PM »

This is in SN thread, he had John James winning twivmce and he was wrong about

New York Express and Snowlabrador still thinks John James is gonna win and be Gov in 2022
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 01:11:07 PM »

Cautiously no, based on 2020 results, but I do think Dems have more room to fall in Michigan than in PA.

It does seem like a state that could turn into a 10 point R win on a dime like Ohio did.  Let's see how the governor's race goes.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 02:52:17 PM »

Wayne County has lost a million people since its prime. Philidelphia has lost 600K.
Nyssus
Misteeer
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »

Currently? Michigan is not trending Republican faster than Pennsylvania, quite the opposite, in fact. However, extrapolating the trends we've seen in other parts of the Rust Belt, I think it's quite probable that this could become the case in the near future.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 08:40:18 PM »

There's a lot more room to fall in rural MI than PA. If John Moolenaar's district starts voting like John Joyce's, then the Dems will have a problem.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 11:27:10 PM »

I'd say they're moving about the same.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 10:05:23 AM »

Longterm I think PA is much more favorable to Democrats than Michigan.

This. Republicans are more rapidly maxing out in the PA rurals where they still have more to drop in the suburbs.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 12:13:14 PM »

They're both favorable for Republican growth moving forward.  They were both left-leaning states until 2016, and with the loss of white working class support, I expect they will continue to shift right in upcoming elections.  Pennsylvania has two major metros, whereas Michigan only has one, which is shrinking rapidly, but Michigan also has several smaller majority black cities and Ann Arbor.  Despite Pennsylvania leaning slightly farther to the right in recent presidential elections, I give them both a tossup rating for 2024, with similar odds of flipping. 

Michigan:
2004  +3.4 D   (+5.8 more D)
2008  +16.4 D  (+9.2 more D)
2012  +9.5 D  (+5.6 more D)
2016  -0.2 R  (-2.3 more R)
2020  +2.8 D  (-1.6 more R)

Pennsylvania:
2004  +2.5 D  (+4.9 more D)
2008  +10.3 D  (+6.1 more D)
2012  +5.4 D  (+1.5 more D)
2016  -0.7 R  (-2.8 more R)
2020  +1.2 D  (-3.2 more R)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 12:59:06 PM »

The Rs have just as much chance in MI, PA and WI as D's have in FL, TX, Abbott and DeSantis arent losing and Evers and Whitmer are losing

Retread John James is running, for Gov what fun

As far as WI goes, Hillary was the only D to lose it aside from McGovern and Mondale, it voted for Jimmy Carter and Dukakis, and Jim Doyle was a D Gov 2003-2011

WI isnot an R state, its a purple state
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 07:04:09 AM »

The Rs have just as much chance in MI, PA and WI as D's have in FL, TX, Abbott and DeSantis arent losing and Evers and Whitmer are losing
Oh, but I see how Susan Collins winning ME pretty much convincingly turned out to be great for Donald Trump chances upballot in Maine.

Stop linking all those races together. Your takes are absolutely horrible.

Also none of these are on the ballot in 2024.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2021, 07:42:32 AM »

Oh, but I see how Susan Collins winning ME pretty much convincingly turned out to be great for Donald Trump chances upballot in Maine.

Stop linking all those races together. Your takes are absolutely horrible.

Also none of these are on the ballot in 2024.

As I told you before stop thinking you are a moderator, you are just another user as I am

It's a free website, you can post anything political, it's a mock Election not real life voting, if I was voting in real life of course my predictions would be more accurate
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 11:14:11 PM »

If you asked me this question circa 2017 I would have had an affirmative response. But now, I'd say PA is more R than MI.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies