Neera Tanden OUT as OMB nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:33:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neera Tanden OUT as OMB nominee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Neera Tanden OUT as OMB nominee  (Read 2162 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 08:06:15 PM »

Imagine thinking the term "South Asian Americans" means anything from an identity standpoint (let alone "Asian Americans").

Isn't it just a more PC term for "Desi"?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »

Imagine thinking the term "South Asian Americans" means anything from an identity standpoint (let alone "Asian Americans").

Isn't it just a more PC term for "Desi"?

plz just call me desi lol
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 08:13:48 PM »

Well, it's official - Manchin is willing to act alone in a decisive way. Condolences to brucejoel99

There’s no reason to believe that Manchin acted alone. For all we know, the vast majority of the Dem caucus wanted her gone (quite likely given how many people she insulted), and Manchin acted as the fall guy.

Stop, STOP! Your rational reasoning, it may be too inconvenient!!

Bruce my man, this is not my argument with you and we are not going to do it in this thread, but just some advice, sometimes you just gotta learn the art of taking the L man.

Bagel, you're one to give advice when you've consistently shown an inability to ever listen to any advice the Mods give you.

In any event, I take L's when they're deserved, & you evidently know that, given that I seem to recall you yourself even thanking me for when I openly took the L for all of last year's sh*t (no thanks to your previous - & seemingly still often ongoing - behaviors that helped result in your needing to be given "advice" by the Mods in the 1st place). Given that there were probably a million moving parts here & none of us are exactly privy to the private internal deliberations of the Senate Democratic Caucus, this just isn't such a case thereof for the time being.

So in the meantime, given your own evident previous history with "advice," might I suggest you learning the art of understanding that "do as I say, not as I do" isn't exactly a worthy concept for you to preach?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2021, 08:18:31 PM »

Well, it's official - Manchin is willing to act alone in a decisive way. Condolences to brucejoel99

There’s no reason to believe that Manchin acted alone. For all we know, the vast majority of the Dem caucus wanted her gone (quite likely given how many people she insulted), and Manchin acted as the fall guy.

Stop, STOP! Your rational reasoning, it may be too inconvenient!!

Bruce my man, this is not my argument with you and we are not going to do it in this thread, but just some advice, sometimes you just gotta learn the art of taking the L man.

Bagel, you're one to give advice when you've consistently shown an inability to ever listen to any advice the Mods give you.

In any event, I take L's when they're deserved, & you evidently know that, given that I seem to recall you yourself even thanking me for when I openly took the L for all of last year's sh*t (no thanks to your previous - & seemingly still often ongoing - behaviors that helped result in your needing to be given "advice" by the Mods in the 1st place). Given that there were probably a million moving parts here & none of us are exactly privy to the private internal deliberations of the Senate Democratic Caucus, this just isn't such a case thereof for the time being.

So in the meantime, given your own evident previous history with "advice," might I suggest you learning the art of understanding that "do as I say, not as I do" isn't exactly a worthy concept for you to preach?

Legit tryna just give you friendly advice from experience here bro, it's up to you ofc, just tryna help.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »

How embarrassing for her. It's obvious that women, especially women of color, are held to much higher standards than any man or Republican, but it must be an awful feeling to know you've lost your only chance at serving in a presidential cabinet because of something completely preventable (aka not personally tweeting nonstop for years about the very people who you need to vote to confirm you)

Neera Tanden punched a reporter in the chest for questioning the Iraq War and called an underaged Bernie supporter a c*cksucker...

And yet neither of these things are what she's mainly being criticized for: she's being criticized for tweeting her thoughts on Senators, most of which tweets are extremely tame in comparison to the GOP leader's tweeted thoughts on the same Senators. I don't like her at all as a person, and like I've posted before I think she was an awful pick and probably doomed from the start. But if she were a man, she would've likely been confirmed.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 09:27:08 PM »

How embarrassing for her. It's obvious that women, especially women of color, are held to much higher standards than any man or Republican, but it must be an awful feeling to know you've lost your only chance at serving in a presidential cabinet because of something completely preventable (aka not personally tweeting nonstop for years about the very people who you need to vote to confirm you)

Neera Tanden punched a reporter in the chest for questioning the Iraq War and called an underaged Bernie supporter a c*cksucker...

She also named an anonymous victim of sexual harassment during a meeting. Don't forget that.

Fwiw, I follow politics pretty darn closely, and until the above posts in this thread, I did not know what people hated her for beyond "nasty tweets."

I can hardly blame you. The media relished the opportunity to make this about Twitter drama.

A vile, disgusting, and genuinely evil person.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2021, 09:31:29 PM »

Excellent news.
Roblox

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2021, 09:48:26 PM »

It's pretty funny that Wolf Blitzer was asking Bernie if he'd vote for her confirmation like 20 minutes before this news dropped lol.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2021, 09:56:36 PM »

Joe Manchin does what Bernie Sanders could never do

(slightly sarcastic)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2021, 10:06:00 PM »

Worth noting that Bernie said he knew he didn't have the votes and was still refusing to publicly commit to a vote.

Which is absolutely great. If you want a job, maybe you shouldn't blame the guy interviewing you for a COVID outbreak.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2021, 10:09:46 PM »

It's a little surprising it took that long. Picking her was an odd look for a Biden Administration selling itself as a return to normalcy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2021, 10:12:14 PM »

It's a little surprising it took that long. Picking her was an odd look for a Biden Administration selling itself as a return to normalcy.

Yea, a pick that has insulted many of the Senators needed for confirmation is certainly a return to normalcy.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2021, 10:12:39 PM »

You have to appreciate the dark humor in it, though. We're all worried about ideological concerns and then he picks the one candidate who would be a bigger slap in the face to the party's left wing.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2021, 10:15:19 PM »

Personally, I'd like to see Biden pick someone who knows a bit more about the Federal Budget as his new nominee.

Maybe Austan Goolsbee?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2021, 10:18:39 PM »

Neera Tanden didn't matter, this was a pointless fight. Manchin has done some minor damage by not being on board with removing the filibuster already. However I expect him to be with Biden on major legislation, and perhaps even on changing the filibuster (not necessarily outright removal, but whatever Biden can't do without in the circumstances). Maybe he'll be a bit more independent and disappointing, but he's still infinitely superior to a Republican Senator from West Virginia supporting Majority Leader McConnell obstructing everything.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2021, 10:22:09 PM »

As someone who had a pet position of "The Berners aren't being treated fairly compared to the establishment" nothing brings me more schadenfreude than seeing her face the accountability she tried to dodge.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2021, 10:51:20 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2021, 10:52:55 PM »

Ngl, I'd gain so much respect for Tanden if she tweeted out tonight, "Oh, if you thought my tweets were bad BEFORE..."
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2021, 12:46:01 AM »

Good. I have no idea what the controversy was over (at this point I don't care) but it would've been a bad look having a Dem senate reject a Dem cabinet nominee, which seemed the only reasonable outcome if she came to a vote.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2021, 12:56:11 AM »

Evil has been defeated? Stories like these are rare in politics these days, so it’s always great whenever it happens.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2021, 12:59:45 AM »

RIP hottie
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2021, 01:05:05 AM »

Biden should appoint one of the Krassenstein brothers in her place.
LM Brazilian Citizen
100% antiS, 100% Freedom
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -1.91

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2021, 01:25:53 AM »

Well, it was a necessary evil, now we’ll see if Biden will go for someone who is really progressive and doesn’t tweet wishing blood to get oil and blaming others for her own failures and who can really care a bit about the American people, or if that nominee will end up being more of a cesspool rat again.
compucomp

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2021, 09:03:18 AM »

it's really patronizing when anyone speaks for an entire minority group

Not only that, this is the caricature of silly identity politics that Republicans like to run against and it's very ineffective politics at that. If Democrats really wanted to appeal to South Asians they should fix the issues with H-1B visas and the green card queue.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2021, 09:10:59 AM »

But she's a woman of color and held to a higher standard, you see.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies