What was the prevailing reason for how people voted in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:56:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What was the prevailing reason for how people voted in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which did most people base their vote in 2020 on?
Party

Personality

Policy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: What was the prevailing reason for how people voted in 2020?  (Read 789 times)
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »

I just came up with an idea, that in American elections there are three core reasons why someone chooses to vote for a candidate. They either vote by party, by personality, or by policy. Which was 2020 based on?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 12:24:32 PM »

Personality. This election was a referendum on Trump.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »

Remember Covid was bottoming out and ACB nomination gave Trump I'm polls pre Insurrectionists, then Trump bottomed out again with WC females and Minorities after Insurrectionists
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 03:30:05 PM »

Party, along with all other recent American elections.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »

This was before the insurrection but people came out to vote due to Trump indifference to Covid, that's why Trump and DeSANTIS whom won't have a difficult time winning FL will have a difficult time winning the Rust Belt. They both memorialized Rush Limbaugh, last Monday while Leader Mccarthy and McConnell were in DC memorializing Covid victims. Where Females and AA are in Nursing homes taking care of the Covid victims.

This includes OH due to fact 12 percent AA are mainly in Mahoning and Cuyohoga County and Mahoning County isn't gonna vote R again

Rs only overperformed due to fact ACB nomination came at the right time for them, when RBG whom knee she had cancer and couldn't sit thrylu cases should of retired in 2015, but she thought Hillary was gonna win Prez

Cancer advances suddenly and it kills quickly just like any Immunal disease, you can be fine one day and then come down with pneumonia and be dead
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 06:50:14 PM »

I would say personality for the most part. If Trump had just kept up payments during the pandemic, I have no doubt he would’ve won. He just would’ve needed ~43,000 votes across the three closest states. Trump just needed to shut up and send people money. He couldn’t do that. Sad!

I’m sure that Sara Gideon would beg to differ.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 07:53:13 PM »

Personality. This election was a referendum on Trump.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 07:58:00 PM »

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 08:00:14 PM »

Most people vote based on party, but they identify with that party because of policy or at least their general impression of what the party stands for. So it's a tough one but I think people vote based on policy. The election was even more personality focused than most US elections, and I'd say swing voters voted based on personality. So Biden got the tipping point votes he needed by having a better, more appealing personality than Trump.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 09:26:14 PM »

I would say personality for the most part. If Trump had just kept up payments during the pandemic, I have no doubt he would’ve won. He just would’ve needed ~43,000 votes across the three closest states. Trump just needed to shut up and send people money. He couldn’t do that. Sad!

I’m sure that Sara Gideon would beg to differ.
You misunderstand me. In almost every election, A majority of Democrats vote for the Democratic candidate. Same with a majority of republicans. Your Personality or Policy don't have as much of an influence on how you vote as your political party.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:50:57 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2021, 04:02:04 AM by slimey56 »

None of the above. The single most important determinant in voting preference is ideology. Liberals and conservatives both experienced slightly higher partisanship, breaking 90-10 for Biden and 85-15 for Trump respectively.  The decisive factor was Biden increased the Democratic advantage with moderates from the historical average of 15-20 points to 30. That's actually higher than the 22 point advantage Obama netted in 08, however the election remained close because conservatives made up a higher percentage than usual of the 2020 electorate.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 07:52:50 AM »

None of the above. The single most important determinant in voting preference is ideology. Liberals and conservatives both experienced slightly higher partisanship, breaking 90-10 for Biden and 85-15 for Trump respectively.  The decisive factor was Biden increased the Democratic advantage with moderates from the historical average of 15-20 points to 30. That's actually higher than the 22 point advantage Obama netted in 08, however the election remained close because conservatives made up a higher percentage than usual of the 2020 electorate.

Plus the current EC alignment makes his 4.5 NPV win look less impressive than say Obama's 2012 win where he actually did slightly worse in the NPV. Very good points though, and it's important to remember just how strong Republican turnout was this election; some estimates have it in the 90s!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »

They didn't like Trump indifference to Covid and we know why, him and DeSantis memorialized Limbaugh instead of memorializing Covid victims and females and AA are in Nursing homes suffering from Covid

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies