How do neopagans vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:22:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How do neopagans vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do neopagans vote?  (Read 810 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »

On the one hand as a non-Christian religious minority you'd be inclined to think they'd be overwhelmingly Democratic. At the same time I've read (and even heard directly from Pagans I talked to) that the community has a significant problem with racism and alt-right members.

I also remember a hilarious article I read years ago about a neopagan city councilman in Queens who ran as a Republican and claimed to be pro-life (probably just to get the conservative party ballot line) but later old posts of his from a Yahoo neopagan forum emerged where it was revealed that he was so pro-choice he practically supported infanticide which he'd justified as being in line with neopagan beliefs.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:44:15 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2021, 11:06:05 AM by Daughter of Cybele »

There's indeed an unfortunate contingent of far-right pagans who see their faith as a component of racial identity and can be quite deranged and militant about it, most of us are hippies, as one would expect from a people heavily defined by our love of nature. Demographic studies have shown that most American pagans are white, middle or upper-middle class, urban or suburban, and college-educated, which all points towards a solid Democratic lean in current alignments, and most pagan faiths besides the Nazi-flavored ones encourage libertarian social attitudes. However, as plenty of pagans such as myself also skew heavily left-wing and rather outside of the American Overton window, I'm sure there are plenty of third-party voters among us, mainly Green (as I tend to vote) but perhaps especially in some of the more explicitly politicized strains such as Reclaiming you'd find support for more radical groups such as PSL and their ilk. I'd be quite interested in doing more in-depth study on this topic.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »

Hitler was neopagan and I read in this forum that many german americans in the midwest voted against FDR in 1940 and 1944
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 12:46:17 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2021, 12:55:12 PM by PSOL »

There's indeed an unfortunate contingent of far-right pagans who see their faith as a component of racial identity and can be quite deranged and militant about it, most of us are hippies, as one would expect from a people heavily defined by our love of nature. Demographic studies have shown that most American pagans are white, middle or upper-middle class, urban or suburban, and college-educated, which all points towards a solid Democratic lean in current alignments, and most pagan faiths besides the Nazi-flavored ones encourage libertarian social attitudes. However, as plenty of pagans such as myself also skew heavily left-wing and rather outside of the American Overton window, I'm sure there are plenty of third-party voters among us, mainly Green (as I tend to vote) but perhaps especially in some of the more explicitly politicized strains such as Reclaiming you'd find support for more radical groups such as PSL and their ilk. I'd be quite interested in doing more in-depth study on this topic.
I would assume Anarchism would be where most leftist Neopagans would find a home in. I’ve never heard of the PSL or any Marxist-oriented party attracting such a religious demographic; most of the time they attract Buddhists and second generation Muslims.

I’m more interested which strains of paganism vote as well. I assume the male-dominated followers of the Norse and Germanic religions lean R while Santa Muerte followers, when they do vote, vote overwhelmingly for the Green Party.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »

I would assume Anarchism would be where most leftist Neopagans would find a home in. I’ve never heard of the PSL or any Marxist-oriented party attracting such a religious demographic; most of the time they attract Buddhists and second generation Muslims.

I'm not aware of as much either, and not too familiar in general with the supporters of that ecosystem of Marxist/Trotskyist/etc parties, but I speculate that some, especially those in traditions that emphasize political involvement like I mentioned, might view them as the closest-aligned to their convictions to support them to some degree. Out of personal shyness and contrarianism I'm not really involved in any political or religious organizations and could be better-informed on their practices. I do personally consider my ideology primarily aligned with green anarchism.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 07:08:10 AM »

me too, let me know if you do end up exploring it further
SAAuthCapitalist
Rookie
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 12:16:36 AM »

Many neopagans like Varg Vikernes straight up don't vote. They view both parties are corrupt and being "Zionist controlled".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies