What could be the biggest state surprises in the apportionment/population data ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:48:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What could be the biggest state surprises in the apportionment/population data ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What could be the biggest state surprises in the apportionment/population data ?  (Read 854 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2021, 12:11:29 PM »

Which are out in 2-4 weeks ...

Will CA report more than 40 million and TX more than 30 million (after estimates being slightly below) ?

Will NC actually come out ahead of GA ?

MI above 10 million again ?

WA above 8 million already ?

Did CO overtake WI ?

OK at 4+ million ?

Has NV passed IA ?

Is WV closer to 1.7 than 1.8 million ?

DE above 1 million ?

Does MT get a 2nd seat ?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 01:49:17 PM »

The biggest surprise, almost by definition, is who wins the photo-finish race for the last seat, NY-26 or AL-07. It's going to affect both states maps quite a bit whether NY loses 2 and AL loses none or whether they both lose one.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 02:03:24 PM »

The biggest surprise, almost by definition, is who wins the photo-finish race for the last seat, NY-26 or AL-07. It's going to affect both states maps quite a bit whether NY loses 2 and AL loses none or whether they both lose one.
The biggest surprise would be neither of those states getting the 435th seat.
Pink Panther

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 07:54:38 PM »

The biggest surprise I see that is possible is Minnesota keeping it's 8th seat, due to its citizens known for turning out more than most of the country.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 02:31:28 PM »

ID pulls an upset and gets a 3rd seat. Considering how small the state is and how fast it's been growing, it doesn't take as big of an error as you might think.
kwabbit

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 09:04:59 PM »

ID pulls an upset and gets a 3rd seat. Considering how small the state is and how fast it's been growing, it doesn't take as big of an error as you might think.

This would be a pleasant surprise of the redistricting cycle. I don't think I can wait another decade for Idaho to get its third seat lol. In all seriousness, however, Idaho's 2 seats will probably be ludicrously overpopulated by 2030. They'll be over 1.1 million people each in all likelihood.

In a fair 3 district map, the Boise seat could be competitive as soon as 2022 and could become increasingly blue and swingy as the decade goes on.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 05:00:00 AM »

This would be a pleasant surprise of the redistricting cycle. I don't think I can wait another decade for Idaho to get its third seat lol. In all seriousness, however, Idaho's 2 seats will probably be ludicrously overpopulated by 2030. They'll be over 1.1 million people each in all likelihood.

In a fair 3 district map, the Boise seat could be competitive as soon as 2022 and could become increasingly blue and swingy as the decade goes on.
2022 is...quite a bit early for a Boise CD to be competitive. NV-02 might sooner elect a Dem than a compact Boise district.
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=416549.msg7811978#msg7811978
kwabbit

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 12:22:16 PM »

2022 is...quite a bit early for a Boise CD to be competitive. NV-02 might sooner elect a Dem than a compact Boise district.

Not that it would be competitive always, but where Dems could occasionally have some fluky wins, like OK-5 or NM-2. Essentially where the Republicans couldn't do whatever they wanted and still win.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 02:13:08 PM »

Not that it would be competitive always, but where Dems could occasionally have some fluky wins, like OK-5 or NM-2. Essentially where the Republicans couldn't do whatever they wanted and still win.
Ok, I suppose that is true. Not all kinds of competitive come in the same flavor after all.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 08:03:03 AM »

Ok, I suppose that is true. Not all kinds of competitive come in the same flavor after all.

Idaho has a redistricting commission in its state constitution, so it is very likely that an all-Boise area district will be drawn whenever it gets a 3rd seat. 
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 01:35:51 AM »

Montana gaining a second seat would be a non-surprise to me.  I would be surprised, however, if ID-3 came into being a decade early.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 04:13:22 PM »

Idaho has a redistricting commission in its state constitution, so it is very likely that an all-Boise area district will be drawn whenever it gets a 3rd seat. 

The way the Republican Party is going, it's more likely that the thing being drawn when the state gets a third seat will be a constitutional amendment.

They're going to spiral the districts out of Boise, like what's probably going to happen in Oklahoma (even though Oklahoma County is exactly the perfect size for a district right now).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 07:17:12 PM »

The way the Republican Party is going, it's more likely that the thing being drawn when the state gets a third seat will be a constitutional amendment.

They're going to spiral the districts out of Boise, like what's probably going to happen in Oklahoma (even though Oklahoma County is exactly the perfect size for a district right now).

Any amendment repealing the commission would have get a 2/3rds majority in both chambers and then pass a statewide referendum.  In a world where Boise has moved far enough left that a competitive ID-03 is viable, they will likely lose the 2/3rds majority by then (remember, the existing state legislative districts will be commission drawn).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies