L.C. 10.8 Minor Constitutional Reforms Omnibus Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:43:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L.C. 10.8 Minor Constitutional Reforms Omnibus Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: L.C. 10.8 Minor Constitutional Reforms Omnibus Amendment  (Read 894 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:04:47 PM »
« edited: March 15, 2021, 02:07:38 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Minor Constitutional Reforms Omnibus Amendment

Article I of the Lincoln Constitution is amended as follows:

4. The Council shall have the power to determine its own methods of proceedings, to elect its Speaker and other officers, and to judge the qualifications of its members. No councilor shall serve simultaneously as Speaker and as Chancellor.

6. Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governor. If they approves of it,they should sign it and it will become law; but if they disapprove they may refer the bill to a general referendum. The Council may override the reference of the governor by three-fifths two-thirds vote of all elected MCs. If the governor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law. a) The governor may instead choose to return a redrafted version of the bill to the Council. The Council shall then vote by simple majority on whether or not to accept the redraft. Should the Council accept, then the redrafted version shall be enacted into law; however, should the Council reject the redraft, the original version shall again be presented to the governor, who must then choose either to sign the bill or send it to referendum.

15. Early elections for the Council may be called by the governor as long as the snap election does not occur less than a month two weeks before a regular election if they determines that no government can be formed, following the failure of a confidence vote at the beginning of a new parliamentary term or the failure of any councilor to produce a government as described in Section 6 of Article II or following a successful vote of non-confidence in the government and failure of the successive confidence vote to produce a government. In addition, the Governor may call a snap election at the request of the Chancellor, be it that the snap election does not occur less than a month two weeks before or after a regularly scheduled election.

Article 5 of the Lincoln Constitution is amended as follows:

5. Candidates for governor, Council and federal Senate must declare their candidacy in the appropriate thread at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled start of any regularly scheduled election and at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled start of any special election in order to appear on the ballot. Party identification of gubernatorial candidates may not be displayed anywhere on the ballot. Party identification for candidates for any other office may be displayed below their name.

Sponsor: S019
Occupying: Government Slot 3 of 6

Sponsor, please advocate for your amendment.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 10:35:38 AM »

So this makes some minor reformat that I've wanted to.make.for some time like raising the veto threshold and allowing the same person to serve as Chancellor and Speaker. It also removes the no  party identification on Governor ballots, which I believe hasn't been enforced since Peanut left.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »

I'm prepared to support this. While I still believe we must repeal the Philadelphia Plan in full, a topic we will turn to after the special and this bill have been dispensed with, we must also not object to meaningful smaller steps when they arise. Restoring a 2/3 veto threshold is a major step in the right direction, as is reducing the number of people that have to be active for government to function. There's nothing wrong with having a 3 person apparatus running this (gov, chancellor, speaker) when it works, but there should be flexibility for those times when such is not possible. I believe the other changes are largely technical and non-consequential.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 04:22:37 PM »

Does anyone have any concerns with this, because if there are no concerns, I'd rather not debate it that much.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 12:31:46 AM »

moving for a final vote
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »

I am certainly fine with moving to a final vote if the Speaker is going to insist on it, so do not take this as an objection, but I will say I intend to vote against the bill so long as it includes the provision allowing a member to serve as both Chancellor and Speaker. I recognize that in the past we have had trouble filling both slots, but I still feel it is important that the two offices be separate- one leading the government and the other serving as the presiding officer. If that prohibition was retained, I would support the plan as I think it is generally reasonable and even-keeled, but I do not support it in the current form.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 10:31:28 AM »

No objections
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »

Withdrawing the motion.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 02:41:39 PM »

Amendment:

4. The Council shall have the power to determine its own methods of proceedings, to elect its Speaker and other officers, and to judge the qualifications of its members. No councilor shall serve simultaneously as Speaker and as Chancellor.

We need a 2/3 vote to do constitutional amendments and idk where IBNU falls on this, so to ensure something passes here I'll reluctantly support keeping the Speaker Chancellor separation.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 05:04:55 PM »

For now, I will withdraw the Amendment to avoid 24 hours elapsing on it, to allow IBNU to contribute to the debate.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 09:32:35 PM »

Oppose the pointless removal of the historical accurate provedence plantations which has no racial reasoning behind the naming but supports the increase in required vote share.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 09:35:08 PM »

Oppose the pointless removal of the historical accurate provedence plantations which has no racial reasoning behind the naming but supports the increase in required vote share.
Do you care at all about whether the same person can be Speaker and Chancellor?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 01:01:17 AM »

Do you care at all about whether the same person can be Speaker and Chancellor?
In light of the current numbers I don't see the point of keeping the roles distinct.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 02:14:13 AM »

All right. Offering Amendment to restore Rhode Island's full name, 24 hours to object.

Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »

All right. Offering Amendment to restore Rhode Island's full name, 24 hours to object.

Rhode Island and Providence Plantations

Adopted and OP updated accordingly.

Appears we can keep the speaker-chancellor combination provision in and get 3/4 votes for this, so no need to offer anything further.

Moving for a final vote.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 01:58:25 PM »

Question is on passage of the constitutional amendment. Pursuant to the Lincoln Constitution, a 2/3 majority of the 4 sitting Councillors is required. Please cast your vote.

Aye
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »

Nay
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 02:03:52 PM »

AYE
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 04:42:27 PM »

Aye
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 08:20:15 PM »

The vote is 3-1. Two thirds of all sitting Councillors having voted in favor, the Amendment passes the Council step.

A referendum will be held beginning March 19.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 08:28:38 PM »

For use by the Election Administrator:

Minor Constitutional Reforms Omnibus Amendment

Article I of the Lincoln Constitution is amended as follows:

6. Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governor. If they approves of it,they should sign it and it will become law; but if they disapprove they may refer the bill to a general referendum. The Council may override the reference of the governor by three-fifths two-thirds vote of all elected MCs. If the governor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law. a) The governor may instead choose to return a redrafted version of the bill to the Council. The Council shall then vote by simple majority on whether or not to accept the redraft. Should the Council accept, then the redrafted version shall be enacted into law; however, should the Council reject the redraft, the original version shall again be presented to the governor, who must then choose either to sign the bill or send it to referendum.

15. Early elections for the Council may be called by the governor as long as the snap election does not occur less than a month two weeks before a regular election if they determines that no government can be formed, following the failure of a confidence vote at the beginning of a new parliamentary term or the failure of any councilor to produce a government as described in Section 6 of Article II or following a successful vote of non-confidence in the government and failure of the successive confidence vote to produce a government. In addition, the Governor may call a snap election at the request of the Chancellor, be it that the snap election does not occur less than a month two weeks before or after a regularly scheduled election.

Article 5 of the Lincoln Constitution is amended as follows:

5. Candidates for governor, Council and federal Senate must declare their candidacy in the appropriate thread at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled start of any regularly scheduled election and at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled start of any special election in order to appear on the ballot. Party identification of gubernatorial candidates may not be displayed anywhere on the ballot. Party identification for candidates for any other office may be displayed below their name.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies