FT 19.01 Frémont National Guard Act of 2021 (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:34:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 19.01 Frémont National Guard Act of 2021 (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 19.01 Frémont National Guard Act of 2021 (Statute)  (Read 472 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:31:12 PM »
« edited: March 04, 2021, 05:05:37 PM by Anna Komnene »

AN ACT
to organize command of the Frémont National Guard

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Frémont National Guard Act of 2021."

Section 2 (Command structure)
i. The army and air national guards, naval and other defense forces of the constituent states of Frémont shall henceforth be organized as a single cohesive Frémont National Guard.
ii. The national guard shall be under the overall command of the adjutant general whom the first minister shall appoint, and whom shall serve at their pleasure.
iii. The adjutant general shall have the rank of major general and shall report directly to the first minister.
iv. All other officers of the national guard having the rank of lieutenant colonel or above shall have their commissions from, and serve at the pleasure of, the first minister.

Section 3 (Ministry of Defense)
i. The ministry of defense (MoD) is established to coordinate and supervise all agencies having to do with the internal and external security of Frémont and the Frémont National Guard.
ii. The ministry shall be led by the minister of defense, whom the first minister shall appoint, and whom shall serve at their pleasure.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman

The floor is open for debate on this legislation.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 09:12:12 PM »

My thanks to the speaker.

When I was preparing to mobilize the national guard as part of the government's vaccine rollout initiative, I discovered an alarming fact, namely that there is no Frémont National Guard! While we have always presumed the first minister to have inherited the powers granted to the state governors as commanders-in-chief of their states militias (and I believe that legally and constitutionally this is a solid presumption), in fact those militias—the army and air national guards, naval and other defense forces of twenty-two states—in fact remained organized as state national guards, each with their own adjutant general appointed by the governors of those states. This of course raises the troubling question of whether a governor could refuse to follow orders from the first minister, not to mention the logistical nightmare of coordinating the efforts of twenty-two independent national guards. This is not an area where we want decision-making power to be decentralized or responsibility murky. I am therefore proposing to reorganize the twenty-two state national guards as one cohesive Frémont National Guard, under the command of an adjutant general appointed by the first minister. In effect, this transfers the authority previously conferred on the state governors to the first minister in accordance with Article II of the constitution.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 12:10:48 AM »

This does seem like a pretty important power for the FM to have, especially for assisting in domestic emergencies. Looks good to me so far.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 02:04:11 AM »

I think this would be good to have, however, I am concerned with some of the wording of this bill, as it might suggest an outright abolition of state national guards, which we should keep for small emergencies that are limited to particular states.

Offering this amendment:

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. The army and air national guards, naval and other defense forces of the constituent states of Frémont shall henceforth be organized as a single cohesive in the Frémont National Guard.
ii. The national guard shall be under the overall command of the adjutant general whom the first minister shall appoint, and whom shall serve at their pleasure.
iii. The adjutant general shall have the rank of major general and shall report directly to the first minister.
iv. All other officers of the national guard having the rank of lieutenant colonel or above shall have their commissions from, and serve at the pleasure of, the first minister.
v. All command structures that already exist within the defense forces of the states remain otherwise intact. Commanders retain their authorities within their respective states until given specific orders by the Frémont National Guard.

i. The ministry of defense (MoD) is established to coordinate and supervise all agencies having to do with the internal and external security of Frémont and the Frémont National Guard.
ii. The ministry shall be led by the minister of defense, whom the first minister shall appoint, and whom shall serve at their pleasure.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 02:22:11 AM »

Amendment is unfriendly. The purpose of this bill is in fact to replace the twenty-two separate state national guards with a single, cohesive Frémont National Guard. In an Atlasian context, this is the equivalent of having county national guards. There is no reason why a FNG could not effectively respond to small, localized emergencies like what the member from Minnesota describes.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 02:49:08 AM »

Ah, thanks. I withdraw the amendment, as I don't want to change a bill via an amendment that is in total opposition to the sponsor's intention.

However, my concerns still remain. I don't think that the analogy the First Minister employs fits perfectly here, as states are still states, and counties are still counties. The structural and geographical conditions still remain. I also think that some decentralization of command structures can lead to quicker decisions which are sometimes necessary in case of emergency.

That being said, I also think the creation of a single regional force is an important goal and would be important enough for me to vote in favor of the original bill. I would be more comfortable if there was a solution that would appease my concerns, however, the headache that this bill causes me are not strong enough to want me to oppose this.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 10:16:18 PM »

Did we really not have a national guard? I recall dealing with this right at the end of my time as FM when fhatgn and dfw did their crap.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »

Did we really not have a national guard? I recall dealing with this right at the end of my time as FM when fhatgn and dfw did their crap.

Yeah, shortly into my first term as First Minister doof did his Alaska secessionist crap that was quickly thwarted, mainly by the federal government because Frčmont did not have an organized national guard at that time. But I do believe one was established shortly afterwards.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 10:48:28 PM »

It appears we funded a National Guard but never actually organized one. If that's the case, this legislation is probably necessary.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »

I agree that a single cohesive National Guard is good to have to deal with domestic emergencies like COVID, and I think it would be rather a good thing to, well, actually establish something we had appropriated $2 billion for.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 10:42:05 PM »

I motion for a final vote on this bill since it's fairly time sensitive. 24 hours for objections.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 10:55:07 PM »

I suppose that by funding a national guard it was by extension established but this bill goes further and that’s ok.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 11:11:29 PM »

Seeing no objections, we'll now have a final vote on this bill. Members please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. The army and air national guards, naval and other defense forces of the constituent states of Frémont shall henceforth be organized as a single cohesive Frémont National Guard.

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 11:54:05 PM »

Aye.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 12:11:17 AM »

Aye!
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 01:20:12 AM »

Aye.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 05:00:09 AM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 05:34:46 PM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 11:45:47 PM »

With 6 votes in favor and 1 not voting, this bill passed the Frémont Parliament.

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 6-0-1 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 04:20:00 PM »

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 6-0-1 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies