Next NYC Borough to Produce a US President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:21:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Next NYC Borough to Produce a US President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Brooklyn

the Bronx

Staten Island

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Next NYC Borough to Produce a US President  (Read 3487 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2021, 05:50:48 PM »

Theodore Roosevelt was born in Manhattan and maintained a residence there for most, if not all of his life. Donald Trump was born in Queens and lived in Manhattan for most of his life. Which of the other New York City boroughs will be the next to produce a US President?
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.45, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 08:03:33 PM »

Brooklyn is the obvious answer, with a population more than the other two combined.
Independents for George Santos
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 09:37:20 PM »

Everyone selling Staten Island short is going to have egg on their face when President Ghostface Killah is inaugurated in 2036
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 12:00:07 AM »

The Bronx, only because AOC is the present day New Yorker I see that's most likely to run for higher office at some point in the future.
kaikea1
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 11:58:39 PM »

Staten Island
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 03:17:14 AM »

The Bronx, only because AOC is the present day New Yorker I see that's most likely to run for higher office at some point in the future.

pretty sure she lives in the Queens part of the district though.

That said - Bowman sure seems like a talent, huh?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »

Brooklyn - Tish James or Hakeem Jeffries could be potential nominees in '24 or '28
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 02:16:35 PM »

Brooklyn is the obvious answer, with a population more than the other two combined.

It is the obvious most likely answer, although "more than the other two combined" isn't that impressive when one of the other two is Staten Island.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 04:24:09 PM »

I don’t know why but I have a gut feeling there’s gonna be a Staten Island president relatively soon
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 09:44:52 PM »

Ritchie Torres strikes me as a dark horse candidate. Legitimately progressive, but not seen as a Squad type who attracts controversy. He'll be a top tier voice in the 2030s, I think.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 02:43:07 PM »

That's the least likely to produce a president, for this reason. NYC is blue and NY is blue. Staten Island is red. So, a Republican might be able to win in Staten Island, and they might be able to became a US Representative (Nicole Malliotakis), but farther advancement (holding statewide office, or becoming a senator) is impossible because the rest of the city and the rest of the state is very liberal. So unless they are able to pull off a massive upset and win higher office, or they are a high-ranking Representative (like, say, House Minority Leader), they will be unable to become president. And if you're a Democrat you'll need to catapult into higher office or pull off an upset, since Staten Island isn't very receptive to Democrats. So, the most likely scenario is a Democrat from Brooklyn or the Bronx, since both areas, and the rest of the state, are very liberal, making it quite possible to have a conventional career that begins with winning some type of local office in Brooklyn/Bronx and in which the person in question slowly climbs up the ladder of power, ultimately possibly even becoming president. Trump, if you notice, didn't have a political career at all, and won as a political 'outsider', which is just about the only way a Republican from NYC can become president. Not too likely; it's probably much likelier a Democrat from Brooklyn/Bronx will follow the conventional path above detailed. I mean, for example, I could see a future for AOC (of the Bronx); if she can advance to higher office, like governor or senator or something, she could very well win the Democratic nomination by winning all the progressives and having decent appeal with more moderate Democrats, and then win the general election.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 05:21:49 PM »

That's the least likely to produce a president, for this reason. NYC is blue and NY is blue. Staten Island is red. So, a Republican might be able to win in Staten Island, and they might be able to became a US Representative (Nicole Malliotakis), but farther advancement (holding statewide office, or becoming a senator) is impossible because the rest of the city and the rest of the state is very liberal. So unless they are able to pull off a massive upset and win higher office, or they are a high-ranking Representative (like, say, House Minority Leader), they will be unable to become president. And if you're a Democrat you'll need to catapult into higher office or pull off an upset, since Staten Island isn't very receptive to Democrats. So, the most likely scenario is a Democrat from Brooklyn or the Bronx, since both areas, and the rest of the state, are very liberal, making it quite possible to have a conventional career that begins with winning some type of local office in Brooklyn/Bronx and in which the person in question slowly climbs up the ladder of power, ultimately possibly even becoming president. Trump, if you notice, didn't have a political career at all, and won as a political 'outsider', which is just about the only way a Republican from NYC can become president. Not too likely; it's probably much likelier a Democrat from Brooklyn/Bronx will follow the conventional path above detailed. I mean, for example, I could see a future for AOC (of the Bronx); if she can advance to higher office, like governor or senator or something, she could very well win the Democratic nomination by winning all the progressives and having decent appeal with more moderate Democrats, and then win the general election.

Not to mention, Democrats will most likely preemptively gerrymander your district.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 07:07:01 PM »

Not to mention, Democrats will most likely preemptively gerrymander your district.

You mean NY11?
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 07:14:59 PM »

You mean NY11?

Yep.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 07:30:32 PM »

You mean NY11?

Yep.

Well, I agree. Democrats barely have any redistricting power and get shoved around by the GOP, who gerrymander the big states like TX in their favour and reject any type of reform like the For the People Act. Since they won't play fair, I want Democrats to go hardball, too, and give the GOP a taste of their own medicine. They should pull no punches. Since CA is controlled by an independent redistricting commission, NY is the biggest state Democrats can actually gerrymander. They should redistrict Malliotakis out and also do something about John Katko. Katko's definitely an FF but I think shifting his district boundaries to put him in blue-leaning but unfamiliar territory might do the trick. They have a lot of lean Republican seats which can probably be gerrymandered to put a few other Republicans out of office. For instance, I think NY02 could also be fiddled with to make Garbarino a one-termer. They could farther shore up Antonio Delgado of Rhinebeck, who I think may be the most vulnerable, since his is an R+3 district that just barely went for Biden. All this sounds hard, but I think it can be done by cracking NYC into more districts and spreading its political power.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 08:25:50 PM »

You mean NY11?

Yep.

Well, I agree. Democrats barely have any redistricting power and get shoved around by the GOP, who gerrymander the big states like TX in their favour and reject any type of reform like the For the People Act. Since they won't play fair, I want Democrats to go hardball, too, and give the GOP a taste of their own medicine. They should pull no punches. Since CA is controlled by an independent redistricting commission, NY is the biggest state Democrats can actually gerrymander. They should redistrict Malliotakis out and also do something about John Katko. Katko's definitely an FF but I think shifting his district boundaries to put him in blue-leaning but unfamiliar territory might do the trick. They have a lot of lean Republican seats which can probably be gerrymandered to put a few other Republicans out of office. For instance, I think NY02 could also be fiddled with to make Garbarino a one-termer. They could farther shore up Antonio Delgado of Rhinebeck, who I think may be the most vulnerable, since his is an R+3 district that just barely went for Biden. All this sounds hard, but I think it can be done by cracking NYC into more districts and spreading its political power.

Well the California 'Citizen's Commission' is not impartial at all. Still, they'll probably stay with the current situation minus getting rid of Mike Garcia. The good news is 2010 was so bad Democrats won't be nearly as screwed because the Republicans can't really go any further without court intervention, which as seen in NC is not as Republican leaning as they could have gotten away with.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 11:34:55 PM »

LOL, who voted Staten Island?  I'd be happy if it just produced someone with a national platform who wasn't on a Jersey Shore type show.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies