How was Japan viewed in the 1980s? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:57:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How was Japan viewed in the 1980s? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How was Japan viewed in the 1980s?  (Read 2288 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« on: February 25, 2021, 06:19:49 PM »

You would think that 1980s Americans would at least be grateful to those who gave us video games.

Given that the Japanese revitalized the American video game market after American companies blew all their goodwill making countless nearly-identical consoles and ridiculous abominations like E.T., Custer's Revenge, and the Atari 2600 adaptation of Pac-Man, I imagine there was a fair bit of resentment there just as there was over the automotive industry.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »

You would think that 1980s Americans would at least be grateful to those who gave us video games.

Given that the Japanese revitalized the American video game market after American companies blew all their goodwill making countless nearly-identical consoles and ridiculous abominations like E.T., Custer's Revenge, and the Atari 2600 adaptation of Pac-Man, I imagine there was a fair bit of resentment there just as there was over the automotive industry.

Not only did they make such ridiculous abominations, but after realizing those didn't sell at all, they had the galaxy brain idea to bury the physical copies in an Alamogordo dump.

The reputation of video games in the American market was so tarnished by the events of 1983 that Nintendo made the American NES look like a VCR and invented R.O.B. to go with it so that it wouldn't seem like a video game, the sort of thing that became associated with market bubbles and New Mexico dumps in the public consciousness.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies