Which mental conditions have presidents possibly suffered from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:05:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which mental conditions have presidents possibly suffered from?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which mental conditions have presidents possibly suffered from?  (Read 425 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2021, 11:09:46 PM »

Lincoln suffered from bouts of depression as did TR. From what I've read about TR he also seemed to display traits of ADHD as did JFK. If any presidents have been on the Autism Spectrum I could see Wilson, Adams, Hoover and Jefferson as possibilities. Also probably a decent chunk of them (and a decent chunk of politicians in general) have probably had Narcissistic and/or Histrionic Personality Disorder.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »

The 1960s had a run of three Presidents in a row for whom Cluster B personality disorders wouldn't surprise me.

Hoover's immediate post-presidency involved both depressive and manic behaviors.
wimp
themiddleman
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 06:37:01 PM »

There were rumors that Bush Jr. might have had dyslexia.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 08:12:27 PM »

Adams, Teddy, & LBJ (who also suffered from anxiety) are all believed to have had bipolar, while Madison, Quincy Adams, Pierce (who was also an infamous alcoholic), Hayes, Wilson (who also suffered from anxiety), Coolidge, & Eisenhower are all believed to have suffered from depression. Hoover also definitely showed the signs of depression, but I've never heard of him having displayed any of the manic episodes which Nathan brought up, which - in combination with his depression - could obviously indicate bipolar if true.

Also, there's obviously Biden with his stutter, which is definitionally a mental condition as it stems from the neural processing area of the brain that controls speech.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 08:13:56 PM »

I've seen speculation Jackson had PTSD.  Given his childhood I imagine he had something going on.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 04:08:49 PM »

Funny that there's been no mention of Trump yet in this thread. (I know this is a history forum, but Trump's presidency is now, thankfully, history.)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »

Funny that there's been no mention of Trump yet in this thread. (I know this is a history forum, but Trump's presidency is now, thankfully, history.)

So thankfully historical that I try to hide & deny my feelings of it having ever happened in the 1st place, just like how his doing so with the shame that he received from his father in lieu of love turned him into the narcissistic monster that he is today.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 04:26:17 PM »

JFK suffered from horndoginess. 
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »

Nixon was obviously extremely paranoid to the point that it’s probably fair to classify it is a mental illness. He apparently also suffered from depression and abused prescription drugs and alcohol.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 06:22:29 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Nixon was on the Autism Spectrum.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 11:43:25 PM »

Jefferson has always been described as odd in ways that are rather consistent with his having some form of autism.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2021, 01:43:02 PM by Away, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe! »

Also, there's obviously Biden with his stutter, which is definitionally a mental condition as it stems from the neural processing area of the brain that controls speech.

I've suspected for a while that Dubya as well might have a mild aphasia that produces some of the Bushisms. (Dyslexia, as themiddleman suggests, might also explain it.) I wonder if he was less prone to malapropisms before his struggle with alcoholism.

It doesn't show up in writing and thus not in my posts on this forum, but I suffered some blows to the head a few years ago and ever since then I've had a tendency to Bushlike flubbed idioms and mixed-up lexical items when I speak.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies