HB 28-15: Filling Congressional Vacancies Fairly Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:06:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 28-15: Filling Congressional Vacancies Fairly Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: HB 28-15: Filling Congressional Vacancies Fairly Amendment (Failed)  (Read 1014 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 04:03:43 AM »

I think "major party" would ultimately be punted to the courts, not Peebs. Not good regardless.

I will probably draft a bill tomorrow to sort this whole thing out and ask one of you people to introduce it.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 04:31:46 AM »

Pretty sure I know how this happened and some laborcord search-bar sleuthing has confirmed my suspicions. From the beginning the plan was to move the somewhat awkwardly placed major party definition into the Census Act from the FEA, hence its exclusion from FEA 2019.

The Census Act ended up taking a lot longer than the FEA since I was busier at the time (while I blitzed out the FEA in like a day or something), and somehow this bit got lost in the crossfire. There may have been an argument at some point about whether or not the definition should be changed and so that also caused me to punt on it. Ironically, the census act lists "organized party" in several points without defining it.

Anyway this can be fixed quickly by adding a single clause to §6 of the Census Act, which I encourage congress to do.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 12:24:02 PM »

The bill is unanimously rejected.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2021, 02:29:07 PM »

Would have been nice if these concerns were raised before the House passed this 6-1 the first time on essentially the same concept but with fewer restrictions and a shorter time frame.

Also because this has failed, the original unamended version passed 6-1 by the House needs to go back to the Senate again for a vote and be voted down for this to be killed off completely.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies