Will the Democrats nominate someone as moderate as Biden again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:44:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the Democrats nominate someone as moderate as Biden again?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the Democrats nominate someone as moderate as Biden again?  (Read 822 times)
Pink Panther

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »

I'd consider Biden to lean a little bit more towards the Manchin/Sinema/Kind wing of the party than the party establishment, and will these types of Dems ever get nominated for president again?
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 06:22:22 PM »

He is not a Manchin/Sinema type, and he literally is the establishment. So yes, democrats will nominate someone as moderate as him in the future.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 07:16:57 PM »

I dont see Sinema winning a national primary for the same reason I cant see nikki haley.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:55:33 PM »

As long as the current Democratic establishment is dominated by a desire to raise as much money as possible from special interest donors, then this scenario is highly likely to recur.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 01:50:57 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2021, 01:55:57 AM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

The Democratic Party coalition has generally shifted from cities and rural areas to cities and their suburbs.  Given the suburban vote (as well as minorities) asserts a moderating influence on the more militant wing of the party, I think it a strong possibility that we will be nominating relatively moderate candidates into the foreseeable future.  

Though given the shifting Overton Window, any candidate we do nominate will still be far more liberal than those we have nominated from within the past three decades.  
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 09:11:46 AM »

I'd consider Biden to lean a little bit more towards the Manchin/Sinema/Kind wing of the party than the party establishment, and will these types of Dems ever get nominated for president again?
What?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »

My answer would be no but also that I don't think Biden is significantly more moderate than many of his rivals in the primary (Buttigieg, Harris, Klobuchar).

Biden is the Democratic establishment. The idea that he's moderate is a product of his flowery rhetoric around unity and his long record in the Senate of voting for stuff liberals don't support today. He's whatever the party wants him to be, and he shifts with the party over time. He has no ideological grounding.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 10:43:39 AM »

I'd actually consider Biden to be the most left-leaning president the Democrats have nominated since maybe Carter or LBJ. He's not as left as Sanders or Warren, sure, but he's also much more progressive compared to Clinton and Obama.
SInNYC

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 10:47:19 PM »

Other than Bernie and Warren, all the serious candidates in 2020 were moderates (Harris is hard to classify since she didnt really have a coherent campaign). I'd personally consider Biden the least conservative of them, mainly because he listens to all wings while others 'know the right answer', which somehow always coincides with carefully crafted lobbyist talking points.

But regardless of what you feel about Biden vs the other conservatives in the field, the overwhelming majority of serious candidates in 2020 were moderate, and there is no reason to think that future elections will be any different. With caucuses likely dying, it helps moderates even more.
AlterEgo

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 01:34:50 PM »

I'd actually consider Biden to be the most left-leaning president the Democrats have nominated since maybe Carter or LBJ. He's not as left as Sanders or Warren, sure, but he's also much more progressive compared to Clinton and Obama.

A lot of that is based on campaign rhetoric, though. And both Clinton and Obama actually ended up governing far more conservatively than their campaign rhetoric suggested.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 11:41:09 PM »

I disagree that Biden is like Manchin and Sinema. I think of him as being more liberal than them.

As I explained in this thread, I think of Biden as being a liberal who is close to the line of being a moderate. He is such a mainstream Democrat that it is easy to predict there will be more presidential nominees like him in the future.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 11:47:54 PM »

Yes, because we're gonna be nominating him again in 2024.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies