Romney says Trump will win in 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:03:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Romney says Trump will win in 2024
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney says Trump will win in 2024  (Read 1912 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:04:14 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-says-trump-win-120035918.html

Romney backs Trump 2024, we now know he isn't a Biden ally, Trump if he does run and win the nomination will lose a 413-126 Map to Biden or Harris
Motorcity

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 01:08:07 PM »

Romney backs Trump 2024, we now know he isn't a Biden ally, Trump if he does run and win the nomination will lose a 413-126 Map to Biden or Harris
Trump would beat Harris

I don't understand. Everyone here says Biden was the only one who could beat Trump. Well, I don't know what will change with Harris between 2020 and 2024
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »

He says he doesn’t support Trump further into the article.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »

Trump would beat Harris

I don't understand. Everyone here says Biden was the only one who could beat Trump. Well, I don't know what will change with Harris between 2020 and 2024

Romney said Trump would win the GOP primaries, he didn’t say anything about the general election.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 01:13:32 PM »

Trump would beat Harris

Romney said Trump would win the GOP primaries, he didn’t say anything about the general election.

Nothing like a sensationalized headline to get attention.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »

He doesn’t support Trump. He just said he thinks he’ll win the nomination.

There’s a difference between thinking someone will win and wanting someone to win.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 02:08:36 PM »

Romney is obviously right here, and I don't think stating that Trump would win GOP primaries indicates that Romney supports him.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »

His 2020 election prediction that Trump would win re-election and Republicans would easily hold the Senate ended up being wrong, but politicians including Mitt Romney say what they want for political reasons even if they don't neccessarily think it's true. The point Romney is trying to make is that Trump is still a force to be reckoned with in the Republican Party.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 03:45:41 PM »

“I’m pretty sure he will win the nomination,” the senator said, adding: “I look at the polls and the polls show that, among the names being floated as potential contenders in 2024, if you put President Trump in there among Republicans he wins in a landslide.”

However, Mr Romney was quick to note that “a lot can happen between now and 2024.”

Headline is misleading and he definitely doesn’t support Trump or say that he thinks he would win the general.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »

His 2020 election prediction that Trump would win re-election and Republicans would easily hold the Senate ended up being wrong, but politicians including Mitt Romney say what they want for political reasons even if they don't neccessarily think it's true. The point Romney is trying to make is that Trump is still a force to be reckoned with in the Republican Party.

That prediction wasn't off by much.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 05:01:54 PM »

Can't believe he admits he represents a "tiny wing" of the GOP. That says a lot.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 05:19:08 PM »

True, but he expressed pretty clear confidence the GOP would hold the Senate, a body in which they ended up losing by about 0.6% depending upon how you mark the tipping point. Then again, it really doesn’t matter what Romney’s electoral prediction history has been.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 09:35:55 PM »

I know this is an OC thread, but the thread headline is misleading. Romney said that Trump will win the nomination, he didn't predict he'd be re-elected as President. And even his prediction about is a bit muddled, he said he is "pretty sure" but then added a caveat at the end. Plus this is if Trump decides to run, maybe Romney thinks that Trump won't actually be a candidate (since he is predicting how it would go if Trump runs, technically not his general prediction).
“I’m pretty sure he will win the nomination,” the senator said, adding: “I look at the polls and the polls show that, among the names being floated as potential contenders in 2024, if you put President Trump in there among Republicans he wins in a landslide.”

However, Mr Romney was quick to note that “a lot can happen between now and 2024.”
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 09:46:46 PM »

True, but he expressed pretty clear confidence the GOP would hold the Senate, a body in which they ended up losing by about 0.6% depending upon how you mark the tipping point. Then again, it really doesn’t matter what Romney’s electoral prediction history has been.

If it weren't for Georgia requiring runoffs and Trump's whining, the GOP would have held the Senate. Perdue won the first round and almost avoided a runoff. For that matter, they did hold the Senate until January 20.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 12:12:24 AM »

Trump would beat Harris

Trump will be older (and likely in worse health) in 2024.  Plus, a statistically significant number of his supporters are going to be dead by then. (A number that will be larger because of his actions as President.)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 12:15:59 AM »

Trump would beat Harris

Trump will be older (and likely in worse health) in 2024.  Plus, a statistically significant number of his supporters are going to be dead by then. (A number that will be larger because of his actions as President.)

I think most important is that Biden or Harris likely wouldn't have to endure the kind of humiliating primary that destroys the Party's remaining credibility like in 2020. Incumbency is a big advantage.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »

Romney is finally accepting what has been true for some time - the party largely dislikes him and has rejected his brand of politics.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 09:59:05 AM »

Romney is finally accepting what has been true for some time - the party largely dislikes him and has rejected his brand of politics.

The party means the base in this case. Mainly because they were fed with lies, conspiracies and hateful rhetoric by certain media outlets that live in a parallel universe.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 11:40:06 AM »

If he runs, it is VERY hard to see anybody beating him in the primaries. He's probably the biggest primary favourite 4 years out in my lifetime (outside of incumbents, of course).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »

But Del Taco told me Trump would die out like Palin.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 09:40:35 PM »

He says he doesn’t support Trump further into the article.

This is Mitt Romney we're talking about, so he probably flip flopped a few more times.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 07:30:44 AM »

I believe before the 2020 election Romney also said that Trump would narrowly win the general election.  It was sort of self-serving in the sense that Romeny was trying to say that it is very hard to beat an incumbent as a way to excuse his 2012 defeat.
AlterEgo

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »

Trump would beat Harris

I think most important is that Biden or Harris likely wouldn't have to endure the kind of humiliating primary that destroys the Party's remaining credibility like in 2020. Incumbency is a big advantage.

Biden, no. As for Harris, that's not something that can be said with any absolute certainty. If Biden decides not to seek reelection, we'd be in pretty uncharted territory for the modern era.

I think it's probably mostly true that if things go well over the next 2-3 years that the field would be cleared for Harris if Biden doesn't run. Of course, that's with the caveat that things go well. If they don't, there's certainly room for a primary challenge.
AlterEgo

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 10:41:59 AM »

Trump would beat Harris

1) Return of normality and decency to the office of POTUS
2) Improving and robust economic recovery
3) Victory on the COVID front
4) Passage of a number of broadly popular pieces of legislation
5) Etc., etc.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 08:10:46 PM »

I believe before the 2020 election Romney also said that Trump would narrowly win the general election.  It was sort of self-serving in the sense that Romeny was trying to say that it is very hard to beat an incumbent as a way to excuse his 2012 defeat.

He was very close to being right.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies