HB 28-14: Olawakandi Day Act (FINAL VOTE) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:06:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 28-14: Olawakandi Day Act (FINAL VOTE) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 28-14: Olawakandi Day Act (FINAL VOTE)  (Read 2493 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« on: February 24, 2021, 01:14:34 AM »

Dems led by S Tim Ryan and S John Fetterman are going to beat cc Ron Johnson with S Rods Fiengolf for a 53-47 to pack the crts in the year 2022 with Kamala Harris as Veep.

My staff just Googled "John Fetterman" and informed me that the image results correspond to the official portrait of Governor R2D2. Is he running to beat "Ron Johnson" in a future election, whoever that is and whenever that may be?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 12:38:51 AM »

I think we can be a little more specific on the relevant jurisdictions than "Lake Michigan." Planning festivities is a logistical nightmare that we ought to strive to make as clear-cut as possible.

This is an objection unless the amendment is modified directly and the sponsor gives his assent.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 01:18:33 AM »

I think we can be a little more specific on the relevant jurisdictions than "Lake Michigan." Planning festivities is a logistical nightmare that we ought to strive to make as clear-cut as possible.

This is an objection unless the amendment is modified directly and the sponsor gives his assent.

Festivities CAN be celebrated in Lake Michigan, OC home is proof that HUMANS can live underwater now  Love  Love  Love we live in happier times, not like authoritarian 2016

As far as I am aware, OC is the only recorded person to live at the bottom of Lake Michigan. That's part of why we're here debating this! But we can't have a one-man parade, nor can a parade be organized by one man. Some state or another, or all of them, will have to claim jurisdiction for organizing it.

(Of course, we could always bump responsibility for organizing the festivities off to Lincoln itself. But that isn't explicitly stated in the amendment.)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 01:28:22 AM »

Festivities CAN be celebrated in Lake Michigan, OC home is proof that HUMANS can live underwater now  Love  Love  Love we live in happier times, not like authoritarian 2016

As far as I am aware, OC is the only recorded person to live at the bottom of Lake Michigan. That's part of why we're here debating this! But we can't have a one-man parade, nor can a parade be organized by one man. Some state or another, or all of them, will have to claim jurisdiction for organizing it.

(Of course, we could always bump responsibility for organizing the festivities off to Lincoln itself. But that isn't explicitly stated in the amendment.)

Can, or won't?

No offense but if everyone had your attitude, humans never would've developed the ability to do amazing things like walk

I firmly believe festivities that aim to celebrate the life and deeds of OC should be open to as many people as possible, and situating them at the bottom of Lake Michigan is counterproductive to that aim. As the only Congressman here with a vested interest in the wellbeing of my Lakeshore constituents, I will not be passing off all responsibility for organizing his own festivities to the man who we are supposed to honoring here; nor will I endanger the lives of my constituents by chucking them into the middle of Lake Michigan for festivities that could be celebrated perfectly fine onshore.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 02:32:08 AM »

My (very reasonable IMO) concern is then that the shoreline of Lake Michigan is split between multiple states and we should perhaps clarify in the amendment which states should have jurisdiction over the festivities (and if we are sidestepping that by delegating the region at large, that is theoretically fine too).
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 11:17:42 PM »

Indeed he is.

I will vote Aye as I have no philosophical objections to the spirit of the amendment. But expect a clarifying amendment from me once this passes (or fails, or whatever).
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 12:38:17 AM »

Offering an amendment.

Quote from: Amendment Offered
AN ACT
To honor an Atlas Forum hero

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Olawakandi Day Act.

Section 2. Establishment of Federal Holiday

1. In honor of the 15th anniversary of his initial registration on the Atlas Forum, Wednesday, the thirtieth of June, two thousand and twenty-one, is hereby designated "Olawakandi Day", to be celebrated across Atlasia as well as the Talk Elections Blog at large.
2. Olawakandi Day is established as a full federal holiday for the Republic of Atlasia, and will continued to be celebrated as such annually on the thirtieth of June.
3. Five days of festivities are to be held in Nyman beginning on Olawakandi Day and ending on the Fourth of July.
4. Annual festivities to honor Olawakandi will take place in the form of Sunbelt Celebrations to be organized and executed by regional governments, taking place in Los Angeles, Fremont and Lake Michigan, Lincoln.the following locations:
    a. Los Angeles, Frémont
   b. Localities surrounding Lake Michigan, Lincoln, including cities and towns in the states of Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana directly abutting on the Lake Michigan shoreline

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 11:54:42 PM »

Aye.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 12:11:10 AM »

If OC says he lives in Lake Michigan he lives there.

No part of my amendment contradicts that.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 12:02:04 AM »

Friendly reminder to the House that Lincoln has coronavirus restrictions in effect, so mass gatherings are highly discouraged

The bill is, ipso facto, designating Lincoln with the responsibility of organizing the festivities. I'm sure the Lincoln Council will manage to find a way to celebrate the life and deeds of olawakandi without violating COVID restrictions.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 11:56:10 AM »

Man, the House clerks deserve a raise for putting all this into the record.

Who is "rasmuseen" and why are they worse than "discord pollsters?" Who are "Goodwin Liu" and "Sri Srinivasan" and what old relic did the Southern region use to block attempts at racial integration that this "Manchin" fellow is obsessed with for some reason? Finally, why is Devout Centrist getting statehood and why would the court be packed with Windjammer vacating his seat?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 12:12:51 AM »

The gentleman from Alabama has urged the House in no uncertain terms to 🛑 playing.

In view of his thoughts on the matter, I will not vote Nay, but instead vote Abstain given my continued reservations with the bill.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 12:11:09 AM »

Finally, why is Devout Centrist getting statehood and why would the court be packed with Windjammer vacating his seat?

DC did get statehood after all! Or Statehood, to be precise.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 12:13:30 AM »

Also closing the vote.

By a vote of 5-1-1-2, with Ishan overriding Poirot’s earlier Nay vote, this bill passes.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 12:18:01 AM »

Quote from: Final House Text
AN ACT
To honor an Atlas Forum hero

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Olawakandi Day Act.

Section 2. Establishment of Federal Holiday

1. In honor of the 15th anniversary of his initial registration on the Atlas Forum, Wednesday, the thirtieth of June, two thousand and twenty-one, is hereby designated "Olawakandi Day", to be celebrated across Atlasia as well as the Talk Elections Blog at large.
2. Olawakandi Day is established as a full federal holiday for the Republic of Atlasia, and will continued to be celebrated as such annually on the thirtieth of June.
3. Five days of festivities are to be held in Nyman beginning on Olawakandi Day and ending on the Fourth of July.
4. Annual festivities to honor Olawakandi will take place in the form of Sunbelt Celebrations, taking place in Los Angeles, Fremont and Lake Michigan, Lincoln.
House of Representatives
Passed 5-1-1-2 in the People’s House of Representatives

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies