Martin Heinrich
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:04:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Martin Heinrich
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Martin Heinrich  (Read 512 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2021, 12:20:47 AM »

All trolling aside I think he'd be an interesting dark horse candidate. He's a scientist which I think would appeal to some segment of Democratic primary voters in the aftermath of COVID mismanagement and I think he'd also be able to sell some modified version of the Green New Deal beyond it's usual audience. I know he'd be an extremely long shot in a field with Harris as sitting VP but still would be interesting.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 03:42:51 AM »

As nice an idea this might be I think he'd fare the same or worse as many of the 'interesting' 2020 candidates, such as Inslee and Castro. I'm sure he, like them, would perform well in a debate but there isn't really any reason to vote for him particularly unless the field was completely wide open. The qualities you mentioned he would have to really drive home and then he still would be remembered for something else. He would make a great running mate and a better one than Tim Kaine at that.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 05:00:39 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2021, 05:04:43 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

As nice an idea this might be I think he'd fare the same or worse as many of the 'interesting' 2020 candidates, such as Inslee and Castro.[I'm sure he, like them, would perform well in a debate but there isn't really any reason to vote for him particularly unless the field was completely wide open. The qualities you mentioned he would have to really drive home and then he still would be remembered for something else. He would make a great running mate and a better one than Tim Kaine at that.

Every Senator who ran but Bennet got a decent amount of airtime. Heinrich is a really low-profile Senator but he'd have more access to relevant media in a primary than Castro and Inslee.

I think he is quite telegenic, which isn't usually decisive but can't be ignored.

In terms of policies, Heinrich appears to be on somewhat distinct from the party's establishment wing, having backed M4A and GND but also having a mixed record on gun rights.

He could be a formidable candidate but doesn't seem particularly interested in running for president.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:22:10 AM »

Certainly a potential VP pick for Harris, though I think there will be pressure to pick someone in a similar mold (read: young, white, male) but from a swingier state / region
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:34:08 PM »

I think he would be a strong general election candidate (either as the presidential nominee or as the VP nominee), but he would probably struggle to stand out in a crowded primary, and he would inevitably catch some flack for his record on gun issues.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 10:52:15 PM »

I agree that if Harris gets the nomination, Martin Heinrich is probably someone she will consider seriously.  This article from Business Insider had some insights into him:

Conversations and emails with ten New Mexico Democrats who have worked with the senator at various points in his political ascent produced a consensus view of the senator as a no-nonsense policymaker with ambiguous aspirations for higher office at best.

Heinrich's decision to avoid the spotlight has largely kept him off the long lists of Democrats itching to run against Trump in 2020.

"He has an excellent reputation here in New Mexico," Bernalillo County Democratic chairman Bill Peifer said. "However, I don't think that the junior senator from tiny (population-wise) New Mexico would do well on the national stage. I'm sure that if the 2020 nominee would ask him to run for vice president he'd agree, but that particular choice is usually dictated, in part, by who hails from a 'must win' state."

Several New Mexico Democrats acknowledged that although Heinrich was not the type of campaigner who feeds off energy in the rooms like former President Bill Clinton, his relationships with core Democratic constituencies in New Mexico has strengthened his campaign appearances.

"What happens in politics is your ambition evolves," [former Governor] Bill Richardson said. "He has the right stuff if he decides to run. He has the intellect, he has the boldness, he has the experience, he has the presence. The question is: Does he have the interest?"
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-martin-heinrich-isnt-running-for-president-2017-6
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 12:01:23 AM »

Harris (or anyone to the right of The Squad) is going to be railroaded into selecting AOC/Pressley/Tliab if she gets the nomination to be VP.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 07:12:24 AM »

As nice an idea this might be I think he'd fare the same or worse as many of the 'interesting' 2020 candidates, such as Inslee and Castro.[I'm sure he, like them, would perform well in a debate but there isn't really any reason to vote for him particularly unless the field was completely wide open. The qualities you mentioned he would have to really drive home and then he still would be remembered for something else. He would make a great running mate and a better one than Tim Kaine at that.

Every Senator who ran but Bennet got a decent amount of airtime. Heinrich is a really low-profile Senator but he'd have more access to relevant media in a primary than Castro and Inslee.

I think he is quite telegenic, which isn't usually decisive but can't be ignored.

In terms of policies, Heinrich appears to be on somewhat distinct from the party's establishment wing, having backed M4A and GND but also having a mixed record on gun rights.

He could be a formidable candidate but doesn't seem particularly interested in running for president.

It's kind of a shame, in some ways an economically left Democrat willing to take a more moderate line on some culture war issues would be the ideal presidential nominee.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies