Petition for a Constitutional Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:16:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Petition for a Constitutional Convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Petition for a Constitutional Convention  (Read 1680 times)
diptheriadan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2021, 03:44:11 PM »

Okay, so what exactly is the problem aside from just general one-party dominance creating uncompetitive elections? Or is that it?
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2021, 04:41:48 PM »

as a single-issue gulag voter, I support this motion

X. CalamityBlue
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2021, 05:52:35 PM »

x discovolante
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2021, 06:01:56 PM »

How will the delegates to the convention be selected if it happens?
Congress would have to adopt rules for delegate selection, as we did in 2015. Back then there was a mix of regional, party, and congressional (senatorial) delegates.
How would the composition of delegates be determined in a majority Labor congress?
I will be the sole appointed delegate and revise the constitution from my dungeon lair.

Truman by himself is the only constitutional convention I really trust, to be honest. I don't even trust myself that much
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »

1st to 2nd: The 1st constitution was a mess so awful that it lasted for less than 1 year. It was so bad that it has its own wiki page detailing why it was so bad

This is a goldmine.

''On its face, Article I, Section 3 makes little to no sense; It begins in Clause 1: "Upon impeachment, the Chief Justice of the Atlas Forum shall administer a poll to the public to impeach the person whom charges have been filed against..."

This is actually a brilliant line of cyclical argument: To paraphrase: In order to impeach an officer he must first be impeached. It could actually nullify the process of impeachment on the grounds of not making sense.
''

'the next point of oversight in the First Constitution is contained in Article I, Section 5, Clause 4:

"The power to declare war lies with Senate. The Senate must vote a majority on any war resolution."

Is this to say that if a Resolution asking for a declaration of War is presented to the Senate, then the Senate must vote for it?
'
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2021, 06:13:57 PM »

1st to 2nd: The 1st constitution was a mess so awful that it lasted for less than 1 year. It was so bad that it has its own wiki page detailing why it was so bad

This is a goldmine.

''On its face, Article I, Section 3 makes little to no sense; It begins in Clause 1: "Upon impeachment, the Chief Justice of the Atlas Forum shall administer a poll to the public to impeach the person whom charges have been filed against..."

This is actually a brilliant line of cyclical argument: To paraphrase: In order to impeach an officer he must first be impeached. It could actually nullify the process of impeachment on the grounds of not making sense.
''

'the next point of oversight in the First Constitution is contained in Article I, Section 5, Clause 4:

"The power to declare war lies with Senate. The Senate must vote a majority on any war resolution."

Is this to say that if a Resolution asking for a declaration of War is presented to the Senate, then the Senate must vote for it?
'
Even Frémont's first constitution was better than this!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2021, 06:14:17 PM »

How will the delegates to the convention be selected if it happens?
Congress would have to adopt rules for delegate selection, as we did in 2015. Back then there was a mix of regional, party, and congressional (senatorial) delegates.
How would the composition of delegates be determined in a majority Labor congress?
I will be the sole appointed delegate and revise the constitution from my dungeon lair.

Truman by himself is the only constitutional convention I really trust, to be honest. I don't even trust myself that much

I will go this far, Truman is one of the few that should be charged with compiling any drafts and running qc on proposals precisely to avoid the stuff tack and blair are talking about with 1st Constitution.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »

X
Laki
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2021, 09:08:56 AM »

I don't know how a convention would fix the issue of political parties imbalance.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2021, 12:05:30 PM »

I don't know how a convention would fix the issue of political parties imbalance.

That is an issue no one wants to touch right now. Everybody is in a purge the immigrants mood because of the offsite recruitment situation.

Dispensing with that for a moment lets look at the reality. The problem is the status quo population wise is not sustainable from a political standpoint and thus the game is not sustainable because sooner or later constantly losing is going to have a devastating impact on the game. No one is going to play a game that almost completely cannot win.

Equilibrium has to be restored. For most of last year I openly said as many will recall, that any chance for an equilibrium was in a Biden administration driving more conservatives to join the site and hoping in the meantime that we could "hold out" until Biden took office. As you will recall this statement was what prompted the Fairbol challenge to my chairmanship back in June because it wasn't direct action now. That should illustrate the appetite for change now and the impatience with waiting for this process to occur naturally (assuming it does at all and I have heard compelling arguments that it won't because of the preference for echo chambers these days).

The oft repeated line on lokcord by the talking heads there that "the Feds need to move left" or the "Feds need to move center" won't work because unlike in RL, their is a close personal dynamic among most of the Laborites, even those in the center and so at most you gain a couple of votes and Labor still has a dominant edge. Certainly not enough to replace those you would lose on the right in doing so. There are more dissidents on the far left then there are on the center left.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2021, 05:58:29 PM »

My thoughts on a possible ConCon:

Statement from Speaker Tmth
There is currently a proposal out there for another Constitutional Convention. I have always been supportive of reform to the game if it is right and makes sense. What worries me here is that since being mentioned during the campaign and during the last few days, I haven't heard a clear vision as to what the purpose of the ConCon will be and why it is needed. To me, it just seems like a group of people thinking "hey, this would be fun." Without a clear vision, like the last one had, my concern is that the ConCon is going to wander aimlessly on for several months with no significant change happening, and during that time, we will see both our federal and regional legislative bodies suffer, as the ConCon is a drain on activity. The most discussion I've seen is what a possible 4-region map would look like, and while I enjoy hypothesizing and know that our voter rolls have seen a significant uptick, I don't see any regional legislature (mine included) being super active right now, and also haven't seen an issue in any region of too many candidates running for too few seats. Until that happens, I don't think increasing the number of regions is a worthwhile venture. 

A Constitutional Convention should be reserved for times when there is a need for significant changes to the Constitution. As it stands, I haven't heard a clear vision for what those are, so encourage those looking to implement change seek it out via the legislative process. I will not be signing the petition, and should it reach the Southern Chamber, I will be a Nay vote until further notice.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2021, 02:31:10 PM »

My thoughts on a possible ConCon:

Statement from Speaker Tmth
There is currently a proposal out there for another Constitutional Convention. I have always been supportive of reform to the game if it is right and makes sense. What worries me here is that since being mentioned during the campaign and during the last few days, I haven't heard a clear vision as to what the purpose of the ConCon will be and why it is needed. To me, it just seems like a group of people thinking "hey, this would be fun." Without a clear vision, like the last one had, my concern is that the ConCon is going to wander aimlessly on for several months with no significant change happening, and during that time, we will see both our federal and regional legislative bodies suffer, as the ConCon is a drain on activity. The most discussion I've seen is what a possible 4-region map would look like, and while I enjoy hypothesizing and know that our voter rolls have seen a significant uptick, I don't see any regional legislature (mine included) being super active right now, and also haven't seen an issue in any region of too many candidates running for too few seats. Until that happens, I don't think increasing the number of regions is a worthwhile venture. 

A Constitutional Convention should be reserved for times when there is a need for significant changes to the Constitution. As it stands, I haven't heard a clear vision for what those are, so encourage those looking to implement change seek it out via the legislative process. I will not be signing the petition, and should it reach the Southern Chamber, I will be a Nay vote until further notice.

I fully support and endorse this statement from tmth.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2021, 10:35:13 PM »

I was trying to write a vision for a while, but however, my views shifted in that situation in where I support having a constitutional convention as a last term resort and support congressional action on reforms first as I believe that belief in a ConCon should have widespread support and this proposal doesn't really have support and my views changed on it so I don't really feel like the right person to make a vision.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies