Score The Vote Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:10:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Score The Vote Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Score The Vote Party  (Read 408 times)
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2021, 02:28:13 AM »

The most recent presidential election may have been the most toxic in Atlasia's history. Moreover, it only reaffirmed the two party domination that has long dominated Atlasia (even if one of the top two candidates was nominally independent). The last time the third place candidate in a presidential election got more than 10% of the first preference vote was 4 elections ago, and the last time they got more than 20% of the vote was 9 elections ago. Ranked Choice Voting has allowed elections to erode the civility and unity of our republican while choking the life out of minor parties and candidates. Voters are fed up with status quo Atlasia politics. The Score the Vote Party exists to provide them with an alternative.

Our raison d'être is to implement score voting nationwide. Under score voting, voters will rate each candidate they have an opinion on from 1-10, and the candidate with the highest average score will win. Unlike RCV, score voting considers the totality of voter preferences at once rather than just their highest preference for a non-eliminated candidate. It also wouldn't force voters to arbitrarily give a preference for any given candidate over another, reducing the toxicity of our politics.

Our party's primary goal is to implement score voting for all single winner elections in all levels of Atlasia government. Secondarily, we call for implementing a cardinal PR method for all multi-winner elections in Atlasia. We specifically endorse Single Distributed Vote (SDV) for such elections, but consider any cardinal proportional representation method acceptable. These systems should be implemented simultaneously to avoid the confusion that would result from a ballot using both score voting and STV for different races.

The Score The Vote party does not have an official position on whether or not a constitutional convention should happen but calls for an constitutional convention that does happen to enshrine score voting into the new constitution. Being a single-issue party composed of reform-minded members from across the political spectrum, the Score The Vote party does not have a stated position on any other issues in Atlasia that aren't directly related to the voting system our elections are held under.

End the toxic duopoly. Score The Vote.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 02:30:33 AM »

Interesting idea! Devil's advocate: in the present environment of extreme partisanship, wouldn't people just rank their first choice a "10" and every other candidate "0" in order to inflate their average score?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 02:32:42 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2021, 02:38:24 AM by You Code 16 bits- What do you get? »

Interesting idea! Devil's advocate: in the present environment of extreme partisanship, wouldn't people just rank their first choice a "10" and every other candidate "0" in order to inflate their average score?

A more interesting way if one wanted to do this is to allocate each person say 100 points.
Giving a candidate they like a 1 costs 1 vote while 2 points would be 4. 3 Points would be 9 and so forth.  Would make deals interesting such as 2 similar candidates working on giving each others voters a 7 each or something. I am guessing a scale of 0 to 5 and 25 points would work better . This would actually encourage "splitting" the vote .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_voting
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 02:37:00 AM »

That becomes a bad strategy as soon as there are more than two viable candidates and the race could end up being between "acceptable but not preferred frontrunner" and "least preferred frontrunner", since you give up having a say if they end up higher scored than your favorite. The present state of perpetually only having two viable candidates is a result of using RCV (or rather, any system that encourages favorite betrayal) and even in a partisan environment it should go away with score voting as more ideologically similar candidates feel like it's worth it for them to run.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 02:46:34 AM »

A more interesting way if one wanted to do this is to allocate each person say 100 points.
Giving a candidate they like a 1 costs 1 vote while 2 points would be 4. 3 Points would be 9 and so forth.  Would make deals interesting such as 2 similar candidates working on giving each others voters a 7 each or something. I am guessing a scale of 0 to 5 and 25 points would work better .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_voting
Quadratic voting is actually horrible to the point where I'd actively campaign against it even if the only options were it and FPTP. Falls apart in the presence of collusion between voters (which our election infrastructure is particularly ill-suited to combat) and fails key election criteria like independence of clones.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 06:13:27 AM »

The most recent presidential election may have been the most toxic in Atlasia's history

I'm curious where and how this talking point started and why it's being circulated over and over. As someone who's been around for almost a decade, I can assure you this wasn't even close to being in the top 5 most "toxic" presidential elections. Just because the Right started eating itself post-election doesn't mean everybody else gets the blame.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:03:39 AM »

The most recent presidential election may have been the most toxic in Atlasia's history

I'm curious where and how this talking point started and why it's being circulated over and over. As someone who's been around for almost a decade, I can assure you this wasn't even close to being in the top 5 most "toxic" presidential elections. Just because the Right started eating itself post-election doesn't mean everybody else gets the blame.

Memory spans are short and this is definitely the most toxic election since Labor's reformation in 2018 Tongue

Hell, possibly even the most toxic post reset!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 09:12:56 AM »

Memory spans are short and this is definitely the most toxic election since Labor's reformation in 2018 Tongue

Honestly, I'd say at minimum both June 2019 and June 2017 were worse; there may be others post-reset if I really try to think about it.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 09:16:50 AM »

No
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 09:22:30 AM »

Also:

The last time the third place candidate in a presidential election got more than 10% of the first preference vote was 4 elections ago, and the last time they got more than 20% of the vote was 9 elections ago.

You're welcome, Fantasyland!

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 09:30:08 AM »

Honestly, I'd say at minimum both June 2019 and June 2017 were worse; there may be others post-reset if I really try to think about it.

June 2019 was on par with this honestly and both featured a massive expansion of the electorate and several voters switching sides down the stretch. If anything, June 2019 didn't really have a massive public scene like Arpiogate nor did it have Labor replace a ticket with 2.5 weeks to go.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »

The most recent presidential election may have been the most toxic in Atlasia's history.

No, there have been much worse.

June 2013, we had a region hijacked during the middle of the election and it was revealed that both Presidential candidates had advance knowledge of it (three if you count the Fed primary challenge). Inb4 Adam says "You're Welcome" Tongue That was also decided by a couple votes and a large chunk of the votes for the center-right ticket had been recruited offsite by Wolfentoad (probably the same number as now if you account for game inflation though don't quote me on that).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 12:14:46 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2021, 12:19:23 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The South had this in early 2010. I rigged it very similarly to get an RPPer elected as Lieutenant Governor. You hold back a number of votes and then when just the right number of people on the other side pref your guy second, you send in a bunch of people only voting for your guy. Won the election by 1 vote.

Edit: Mideast also had something similar and I was able to manipulate it to achieve an RPP+Giovanni majority in late 2009 I think.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 12:31:12 PM »

I mean, this was by far the most toxic election I've ever participated in actively, though as I joined (i.e. unzombified) in January 2020 there wasn't much competition, lol.

Regardless, I'll watch this party with interest.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 05:49:22 PM »

Interesting idea. You should propose it in the upcoming constitutional convention Wink
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 06:09:15 PM »

Everyone is cool with this until a nonpartisan shark sneaks into office because everyone loves the fat shark
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 06:59:17 PM »

To state the obvious implied point the electoral system has little bearings on the partisanship or on the ability of the party's to strategize. The voting method should be based on its own merits as an election system and I am inherently dubious whenever someone pushes something as a magic bullet to another matter not directly related.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies