|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 04, 2021, 03:48:25 AM

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderators: TexasGurl, Associate Justice PiT)
  Would you support this GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support this GOP?
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D or other)

No (D or other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Would you support this GOP?  (Read 379 times)
bannonfan
BG-NY

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -1.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2021, 08:56:31 AM »

This is a minimalist platform, meant to echo back to the original GOP platform in 1856. If no position is taken on an issue (i.e. abortion), it means it will not be in the platform or legislative, judicial, or executive governing agenda:

(1) Trade - Place permanent tariffs on China and our adversaries, prioritize labor requirements and enforcement in agreements, and avoid multilateral agreements
(2) Alliances - Do not enter new organizations or alliances, and in existing ones where leaving doesn’t make sense (UN/WTO) become an automatic veto
(3) Intervention - Use ground troops as a last resort (US mainland attacked or imminently attacked or assassination attempts on US officials), instead employ asymmetric warfare (tariffs, sanctions, cyber, assassinations, drone strikes, etc)
(4) Immigration - Set legal immigration quotas based on unemployment and median wage levels, implement mandatory e-verify with jail time for employers, and any amnesty must count against legal immigration quota
(5) Green - Double the number of nuclear plants, implement a machine tax to subsidize aged displaced workers, and condition subsidies on retraining and rehiring of younger displaced workers
(6) Infrastructure - Build a high-speed rail nationally, build a national fiber optics and 5g system, rebuild crumbling roads, bridges, airports, pipes, and mandate materials and labor is US-based
(7) Wages - Set the minimum wage to $15 nationally, index to inflation, and create a wage subsidy system to help small businesses, family farms and rural communities afford the hike
(Cool Guns - Oppose any legislation limiting the 2A, and subsidize one gun purchase along with 10 hours of training annually
(9) Taxes - Implement a 25% BAT, completely eliminate SALT deductions, create a millionaire bracket at 40%, keep the corporate rate low for reshoring
(10) Regulations - Renew focus on antitrust to dismantle outsized disruptive corporations, implement a modern day glass-steagall, rewrite section 230
Radically celibate, involuntarily feminist
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Politician
Concerned Citizen
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:31:59 AM »

It would be useful to see what the contrasting Democratic platform in this scenario would be.
darklordoftech
Concerned Citizen
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:36:31 AM »

It would be useful to see what the contrasting Democratic platform in this scenario would be.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Concerned Citizen

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »

And the performance/sincerity of the administration at the time. If I thought the GOP was seriously committed to this and the Biden administration had looked like continuity Obama (e.g. if they were trapped in gridlock with a weak executive or hadn't passed the public option, the PRO act, etc.), I'd probably back this platform.

The machine tax is the most concerning element but I suspect it wouldn't be high enough to dissuade me (the Luddite tendency would probably be outweighed by the benefits of better rail infrastructure etc.).
Alcibiades
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:56:31 AM »

No position on healthcare?
Dr. RI, Trustbuster
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 11:26:31 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2021, 07:25:46 PM by Dr. RI, Trustbuster »

I'm not supporting a GOP which doesn't take a position on abortion.
Laki
Lakigigar
Concerned Citizen
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.13, S: -4.72

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 11:58:17 AM »

I'm not sure. The problem would be lack of trust in following this platform. Democrats might adapt to this platform.

I'm more concerned about the GOP's position on the environment, education & healthcare (perhaps also SC appointments, drugs and more). What worries me the most is what is left out of this platform. The GOP for sure would be more acceptable now than in the neocons, religious right and Trumpist years, but it's probably not enough. I simply lack trust, and I'd follow Bernie mostly. I'd still most likely back the Democrats.
EastwoodS

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 12:04:33 PM »

I used to be pretty liberal on abortion until I found out how left wing America had been on the issue(1973-2017) compared to most other 1st world countries. I’d have to see some serious commitment to restrictions, none of this “on-demand” malarkey.
Alcibiades
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »

I used to be pretty liberal on abortion until I found out how left wing America had been on the issue(1973-2017) compared to most other 1st world countries. I’d have to see some serious commitment to restrictions, none of this “on-demand” malarkey.

Why 2017 as the cut off point? It’s not as if the situation with regards to abortion was fundamentally changed under the Trump administration.
EastwoodS

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 01:39:20 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2021, 01:44:14 PM by EastwoodS »

Why 2017 as the cut off point? It’s not as if the situation with regards to abortion was fundamentally changed under the Trump administration.
States have been on a better aggressive streak of restricting abortion recently. And now I’d say America is some what getting on par with the rest of the developed worlds’ rational. It has nothing to do with Trump, though his influence may have helped.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »

I'd need to see the Democratic platform, but I think 2) in particular is almost a deal breaker for me. There's a chance I'd vote for these planks, but only when contrasted with a worse alternative.
America Needs Jesus Christ
ExtremeRepublican
Concerned Citizen

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:46:56 PM »

No, it doesn't even mention any of the issues that I care about...and I disagree with a bunch of these planks.
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »

I mean, you are more or less describing Democrats with guns.
I assume, the GOP power structure being what it is, the are still dedicated to destroying organized labor and privatizing SS and Medicare. And appointing fed soc puppets to the courts.

So no, but nothing you posted is objectionable.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 06:59:15 PM »

I would be fine with the GOP returning to some kind of pro-business nationalism/developmental capitalism, but the one caveat I would insist is that it be led by responsible people who are 1) concerned about the needs and interests of the people who sent them there as opposed to donors/pressure groups/media influencers and 2) respect the constitution.
Horus
Sheliak5
Concerned Citizen
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 07:38:33 PM »

Tentatively yes.
Asexual Atheist
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »

No. I don't agree with this on trade or immigration, and nuclear energy is a no-deal
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Concerned Citizen
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »

(1) Trade - Place permanent tariffs on China and our adversaries, prioritize labor requirements and enforcement in agreements, and avoid multilateral agreements

Terrible idea, especially the last part.

(2) Alliances - Do not enter new organizations or alliances, and in existing ones where leaving doesn’t make sense (UN/WTO) become an automatic veto

Atrocious idea.

(3) Intervention - Use ground troops as a last resort (US mainland attacked or imminently attacked or assassination attempts on US officials), instead employ asymmetric warfare (tariffs, sanctions, cyber, assassinations, drone strikes, etc)

Not horrible, but doesn't really differ from current policy.

(4) Immigration - Set legal immigration quotas based on unemployment and median wage levels, implement mandatory e-verify with jail time for employers, and any amnesty must count against legal immigration quota

No. Should be MUCH more lenient. Not quite open borders maybe, but pretty close.

(5) Green - Double the number of nuclear plants, implement a machine tax to subsidize aged displaced workers, and condition subsidies on retraining and rehiring of younger displaced workers

I am not anti-nuclear, but it is not the future; there are better forms of renewable energy that should be prioritized long-term instead. Workers in obsolete energy industries should be retrained and transitioned to renewable energy fields.

(6) Infrastructure - Build a high-speed rail nationally, build a national fiber optics and 5g system, rebuild crumbling roads, bridges, airports, pipes, and mandate materials and labor is US-based

Not horrible.

(7) Wages - Set the minimum wage to $15 nationally, index to inflation, and create a wage subsidy system to help small businesses, family farms and rural communities afford the hike

Not inherently opposed but I'd need to see more specifics.

(Cool Guns - Oppose any legislation limiting the 2A, and subsidize one gun purchase along with 10 hours of training annually

I'm more pro-gun than most Dems, both on this site and elsewhere, but it's still insane to actually subsidize gun purchases. Instead, create a tiered system in which those who are willing to demonstrate that they are competent (in every sense of the word) and responsible are allowed to buy whatever guns they want, while there are greater restrictions on access to those not willing to undergo such a process.

(9) Taxes - Implement a 25% BAT, completely eliminate SALT deductions, create a millionaire bracket at 40%, keep the corporate rate low for reshoring

Mostly opposed.

(10) Regulations - Renew focus on antitrust to dismantle outsized disruptive corporations, implement a modern day glass-steagall, rewrite section 230

Depends on what you mean by "rewrite section 230" and "outsized disruptive corporations."

Overall, this seems like just GOP fantasy populism and I'm not a fan. Especially not of the isolationist/nationalist parts.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Concerned Citizen
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 08:44:56 PM »

Why 2017 as the cut off point?

It's when he turned 13.

LOL, seriously though, imagine letting your views on an issue be changed by what other countries are doing. What are you Eastwood, some kind of commie or something?

And let's dispel with this fiction that Eastwood doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. EastwoodS is undertaking an effort to change this country, to make America more like the rest of the world.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 08:49:10 PM »

No. I don't agree with this on trade or immigration, and nuclear energy is a no-deal

Nuclear energy is safe, and the notion that nuclear energy is icky leads to deadly policy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies