Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:49:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 75
Author Topic: Spanish elections and politics III / Pedro Sánchez faces a new term as PM  (Read 94963 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: June 14, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »

Lmao that poll on electricity. Kind of surprised to see such a negative reaction to the Morocco thing though. It is awful and Sanchez handled it horribly but it was a situation where there weren't really any good options. I don't think PM Casado would have done much different
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #426 on: June 14, 2021, 10:04:55 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2021, 11:21:26 PM by Velasco »

Lmao that poll on electricity. Kind of surprised to see such a negative reaction to the Morocco thing though. It is awful and Sanchez handled it horribly but it was a situation where there weren't really any good options. I don't think PM Casado would have done much different

Why do you think Pedro Sánchez handled horribly the situation created by Morocco? The Ceuta president Juan Vivas (PP) said that Sánchez "stopped the invasion " and preserved territorial integrity, while repudiated the "outdated populism" of Vox

https://www.europapress.es/ceuta-y-melilla/noticia-presidente-ceuta-valora-sanchez-paro-invasion-27000-marroquies-repudia-populismo-trasnochado-vox-20210527125005.html

If that poll is accurate, there are good and bad news for the government. We could discuss these issues if you want to

▪︎ Vaccination: right now it's the most important issue, because economic recovery depends on its progress. It's going reasonably well and reaching herd immunity is feasible by the end of summer. Vaccination and the management of EU recovery funds are the key issues of this period  

• LGTB+ rights: the controversy on the "trans bill" sponsored by Irene Montero's ministry reveals there is still a way to go on trans rights (as well non binary and queer rights). On the other hand, the division within the feminist movement on the inclusion of trans persons is a matter of concern, in a context of reactionary antifeminist counter offensive launched by the far right. Still, Spain has made remarkable progresses on LGTB+ rights and is among the most advanced countries right now

• Pardon granting: absolutely necessary for reconciliation and a matter of justice, for prison terms are disproportionate and the conflict in Catalonia is unsolvable with jailed politicians.  In what concerns the member parties of the Spanish government, this is the right moment to go in order to mitigate adverse electoral consequences. The government is failing to find the appropriate narrative (and Ione Belarra's statements don't help) , but the transcendence of this measure is undeniable and hopefully it will have a positive impact in Catalonia.  Nevertheless normalization will be a gradual process and the path to reconciliation and possible solutions for the Catalan conflict will be long. In short, the benefits of this unpopular measure in the short term will be seen in the mid and the long terms. Pardons must be accompanied by the reform of the crime of sedition, reducing prison sentences and making it compatible with the legislation of other European countries.

• Crisis with Morocco: it's a matter of concern the Vox narrative on this issue is amplified by the mainstream right and friendly media, which failed to side with the government in this crisis.  As said before, the Ceuta president thinks the government responded accordingly and in the end Morocco suffered a diplomatic defeat, due to the firmness of Spain and the EU. The negative perception of the public opinion suggests the idea that Spain has a losing hand with Morocco is widespread,  even though it's inaccurate.

• Electricity bill: the government is failing to find a solution to the existing situation of oligopoly, which is the cause of the high electricity prices that harm the consumers and burden the industries. Besides, it is very important to diminish the energy dependency developing Spain's great potential for wind and solar power.  This is an old inherited problem, but the government is failing miserably
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #427 on: June 15, 2021, 06:16:59 AM »

I mean, the images are there and are absolutely horrible. However like I say it is not an issue where there was anything else the government could have done. I actually think it handled the issue reasonably well (Like I say, I don't think PM Casado would have done anything differently); but the optics aren't great no matter what.

As for the other polling items, vaccination is great although Spain isn't doing good compared to other developed countries although tbf that is not the fault of Pedro Sanchez but rather the fault of the EU. Although I still disagree with how the AZ shots were handled; but it seems the Spanish public approves of Sanchez's strategy on this regard.

LGBT rights are an area where most of Spanish society is thankfully united. Other than the new trans act (which imo is mostly good, I have few complaints there) which is certainly divisive; most of Spanish society is united on defending LGBT rights and what not. Spain as you say is one of the most progressive countries in this area

Like I said before I am very pessimistic on pardons; I don't think they'll change much and given how the people in jail aren't apoligizing or showing regret I don't think they are very appropiate. But I do hope Sánchez proves me wrong there and does solve the conflict; I just don't think that will happen.

And as for the electricity bill, I agree it is an old problem but it is one that the Sanchez administration has not solved either and that in fact has actually made worse with this new reform. For what they refer to as the "most progressive government in history", you don't really see them tackling the electrical oligopoly and big business in that area Tongue
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #428 on: June 15, 2021, 06:45:14 AM »

• Electricity bill: the government is failing to find a solution to the existing situation of oligopoly, which is the cause of the high electricity prices that harm the consumers and burden the industries. Besides, it is very important to diminish the energy dependency developing Spain's great potential for wind and solar power.  This is an old inherited problem, but the government is failing miserably

How much does the average family pay in their energy bills? Because Spain is in the Iberian energy market, I assume that the bill is similar to what is paid in Portugal. Here, there will be a 3% rise in electricity bill, starting in July, in the regulated market, however only a minority will pay this rise as the overwhelming majority is in the free market. In this report, from 2021, Spain pays 0,2543 euros per kWh, while Portugal pays 0,2259 per kWh, however, Portugal's price is more due to taxes, it seems, as 46% of the energy bill are taxes.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #429 on: June 15, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »

[ of the most progressive countries in this area

Like I said before I am very pessimistic on pardons; I don't think they'll change much and given how the people in jail aren't apoligizing or showing regret I don't think they are very appropiate. But I do hope Sánchez proves me wrong there and does solve the conflict; I just don't think that will happen.

Oriol Junqueras sent a letter admitting the unilateral path to independence was a mistake and created division within Catalan society, as well as he is willing to qccept the pardon he despised months ago. That letter is a reasonable step forward and a sign of goodwill from one of the main leaders of the independence movement.  It seems to me it would be unreasonable and unrealistic to expect Junqueras was humbling himself before the Spanish government and repudiating his pro-independence beliefs. As for the likes of Jordi Sánchez, pardons will be a sign of generosity and will debunk the arguments of Puigdemont's hardliners. It is unlikely Pedro Sánchez will solve the conflict within his tenure, for the simple reason this is going to be a long and slow process. But the path to reconciliation and normalization passes through the pardons.

How much does the average family pay in their energy bills? Because Spain is in the Iberian energy market, I assume that the bill is similar to what is paid in Portugal. Here, there will be a 3% rise in electricity bill, starting in July, in the regulated market, however only a minority will pay this rise as the overwhelming majority is in the free market. In this report, from 2021, Spain pays 0,2543 euros per kWh, while Portugal pays 0,2259 per kWh, however, Portugal's price is more due to taxes, it seems, as 46% of the energy bill are taxes.

I found this table in the internet with average consumption and bills per family unit

1 person (single):   3.45 KW   70.95 EUR every two months
2 persons (couple): 3.45 KW 4.6 KW   98.60 EUR 106.55 EUR every two months
3 persons (1 son or daughter):   4 6 KW   117.30 EUR every two months
4 persons (2 sons or daughters): 4.6 KW 5.75 KW   127 80 EUR 135.73 EUR every two months

A sizeable amount of the electricity bill are taxes, but the main problem with the electricity bill in Spain is related to a regime of oligopoly where companies fix prices through a complex system. Electricity is produced by different sources (fossil fuels, nuclear, renewables). Basically the system ruling in Spain makes consumers and enterprises to pay electricity at the highest price, as if all the energy was produced at the higher cost possible. This leads to disproportionate profits for companies, because there are big differences between the costs of producing energy by different means and production is cheaper once the investment in power plants is amortized
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #430 on: June 15, 2021, 06:10:35 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2021, 06:14:29 PM by Mike88 »

I found this table in the internet with average consumption and bills per family unit

1 person (single):   3.45 KW   70.95 EUR every two months
2 persons (couple): 3.45 KW 4.6 KW   98.60 EUR 106.55 EUR every two months
3 persons (1 son or daughter):   4 6 KW   117.30 EUR every two months
4 persons (2 sons or daughters): 4.6 KW 5.75 KW   127 80 EUR 135.73 EUR every two months

A sizeable amount of the electricity bill are taxes, but the main problem with the electricity bill in Spain is related to a regime of oligopoly where companies fix prices through a complex system. Electricity is produced by different sources (fossil fuels, nuclear, renewables). Basically the system ruling in Spain makes consumers and enterprises to pay electricity at the highest price, as if all the energy was produced at the higher cost possible. This leads to disproportionate profits for companies, because there are big differences between the costs of producing energy by different means and production is cheaper once the investment in power plants is amortized

So, not a lot of difference between Spain and Portugal, unfortunately. EDP, Energies of Portugal, still has a lot of power in the energy sector, however the free market of energy helped to lower the price a bit, although they are still expected to increase in the near future, but the price, for example, for renewable energy, like solar panels, is so big that few people go for it. Here, the most shocking cases of oligopoly are on fuel and gas prices. Portugal has ridiculous high fuel prices, way above than Spain's, and the fuel companies all fix prices and they are all the same. Only the low cost companies have lower prices, but they aren't that low anymore. Fixed prices to increase profits plus a huge tax burden makes gas and fuel costs a real problem for the population. Iberdrola here in Portugal has really competitive prices, are they also fixing prices in Spain?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #431 on: June 21, 2021, 06:09:38 AM »

Well, the dreaded "P-day" has arrived. Today at a speech in Barcelona, Pedro Sanchez announced that he will pardon the Catalan secessionists currently in jail tomorrow Tuesday.

They will only be partial, so while all their prison sentences will be pardoned, the ban from holding public office will not be pardoned

Still this is a big earthquake even if it was very much expected (in fact I wonder to what extent will this affect politics, if it does at all, everyone expected this for a while now)

Only English non paywalled source I could find: https://thewest.com.au/politics/spain-to-pardon-catalan-separatist-leaders-c-3180504

More mainstream source in Spanish: https://www.elmundo.es/cataluna/2021/06/21/60d067cafc6c83426a8b468f.html
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #432 on: June 21, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2021, 10:56:03 AM by Submit to the will of the Democratic trifecta »

Well, the dreaded "P-day" has arrived. Today at a speech in Barcelona, Pedro Sanchez announced that he will pardon the Catalan secessionists currently in jail tomorrow Tuesday.

They will only be partial, so while all their prison sentences will be pardoned, the ban from holding public office will not be pardoned

Still this is a big earthquake even if it was very much expected (in fact I wonder to what extent will this affect politics, if it does at all, everyone expected this for a while now)

Yeah, everyone knew pardons were coming, so it probably won’t change things very much. The left is polling weakly, and if you take into account polarization, there isn’t much room to go lower; while the right is already fired up as it is.

At the end of the day, pardons are very unpopular, but in the grand scheme of things they are a necessary evil for the government.

First, they guarantee ERC parliamentary support until the next election, and that implies that Spaniards will go to the polls whenever Pedro Sánchez decides. He can wait until Autumn 2023, as he intends, and enjoy the credit for the soon-to-come economic recovery and the end of pandemic-related restrictions.

Second, they make the Catalonia fade away as an issue somewhat. For months on end, we have seen pundits, politicians and columnists wondering about whether the government was going to grant pardons or not. That hurt the coalition during a longer period of time than the actual granting will. The right can’t use the looming threat of pardons if they have already been granted. And using their granting in 2023 won’t be very effective if they haven’t resulted in the dissolution of Spain (which is no hyperbole on my part, they’re actually claiming this). Moreover, who is going to even remember them in two and a half years?

Leaving aside the political considerations, I expect pardons to defuse the situation. They are a powerful gesture to Catalan society, even if the pro-independence parties are not showing much benevolence with the government and radical separatist groupings continue to agitate. I think the large majority of Catalans are happy with them and believe they are long overdue.

The problem is that the structural cause of the Catalan conflict, and the reason why it will never be solved in the short-term, remains. And that is self-determination. The government cannot allow a referendum, because constitutional reform would be needed and the right will never give its indispensable support to such a reform. Not even the PSOE accepting self-determination is currently conceivable. On the other hand, the Catalan government cannot renounce self-determination because it would mean the end of whichever pro-indy party that does so and its subsequent replacement by another one.

They can both negotiate all they want to in their roundtable, but Barcelona will never give up and Madrid will never give in. No one can win. So, what is the inescapable outcome? Progressive and quiet de-escalation until the conflict exists only for posturing.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #433 on: June 21, 2021, 10:54:04 AM »

Yeah, everyone knew pardons were coming, so it probably won’t change things very much. The left is polling weakly, and if you take into account polarization, there isn’t much room to go lower; while the right is already fired up as it is.

At the end of the day, pardons are very unpopular, but in the grand scheme of things they are a necessary evil for the government.

First, they guarantee ERC parliamentary support until the next election, and that implies that Spaniards will go to the polls whenever Pedro Sánchez decides. He can wait until Autumn 2023, as he intends, and enjoy the credit for the soon-to-come economic recovery and the end of pandemic-related restrictions.

Second, they make the Catalonia fade away as an issue somewhat. For months on end, we have seen pundits, politicians and columnists wondering about whether the government was going to grant pardons or not. That hurt the coalition during a longer period of time than the actual granting will. The right can’t use the looming threat of pardons if they have already been granted. And using their granting in 2023 won’t be very effective if they haven’t resulted in the dissolution of Spain (which is no hyperbole on my part, they’re actually claiming this). Moreover, who is going to even remember them in two and a half years?

Leaving aside the political considerations, I expect pardons to defuse the situation. They are a powerful gesture to Catalan society, even if the pro-independence parties are not showing much benevolence with the government and radical separatist groupings continue to agitate. I think the large majority of Catalans are happy with them and believe they are long overdue.

The problem is that the structural cause of the Catalan conflict, and the reason why it will never be solved in the short-term, remains. And that is self-determination. The government cannot allow a referendum, even if it wanted to (the PSOE doesn’t), because constitutional reform would be needed and the right will never give its indispensable support to such a reform. On the other hand, the Catalan government cannot renounce self-determination because it would mean the end of whichever pro-indy party that does so.

They can both negotiate all they want to in their roundtable, but Barcelona will never give up and Madrid will never give in. No one can win. So, what is the inescapable outcome? Progressive and quiet de-escalation until the conflict exists only for posturing.

What do you think the chance is of 1. a unionist or at least non-separatist (eg the famed PSC-ERC-ECP coalition) government in Catalonia in the near future, and 2. if that occurs, the deescalation of the overall conflict, either within Catalonia or between Catalonia and the national government?
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2021, 11:32:10 AM »

What do you think the chance is of 1. a unionist or at least non-separatist (eg the famed PSC-ERC-ECP coalition) government in Catalonia in the near future, and 2. if that occurs, the deescalation of the overall conflict, either within Catalonia or between Catalonia and the national government?

First of all, pro-independence parties losing their majority in the Parlament is extremely unlikely thanks to the electoral system, which benefits the smaller independence-leaning provinces of Lleida and Girona. It was only threatened in 2017 due to massive unionist turnout, and even then they managed to retain it.

The last time a unionist government came into question was in that same year, 2017. It was always unlikely, since the unionist bloc (C’s-PSC-PP) would’ve have needed the support of the pro-referendum ECP to garner a majority, whose backing was very much not guaranteed. Of course, the pro-independence parties ended up with a majority of their own and the question became moot.

In 2021, and for the foreseeable future, it is a practical impossibility. It would have to be a coalition including everyone from ECP to Vox, and Catalonia is not Israel. Plus, as we said earlier, the electoral system makes it so that in all likelihood the possibility would not even exist.

As for a PSC-ERC-ECP coalition, the numbers are there and the political will is lacking. Perhaps if the independence debate wears down, ERC will become more receptive to this constellation, but again, self-determination is the main rupture point. Either PSC or ERC (the second, most likely) would have to implicitly concede its position, which would have electoral consequences for them. So, not impossible, but quite difficult in the short to medium term.

It certainly would do a lot to de-escalate the conflict, being a cross-bloc alliance. However, Catalans still wouldn’t have had the chance of voting in a referendum and Catalan separatists would still have the aim of achieving independence some day; meaning that the situation would be prone to reignite itself at some point, especially if a PP-Vox coalition took power in Madrid.

Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #435 on: June 21, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »

It's a bit old, but I was trawling through the Madrilenian results to look for the best precinct for the right. I have found in La Moraleja a precinct (Alcobendas 01-036) which voted 96.4% for the right:

PP 79.2%
Vox: 15.6%
Cs: 1.6%

The best for PP specifically was next door at 82.6% (but only 96.3% combined for the right).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #436 on: July 06, 2021, 07:05:35 PM »

Spain finally proposing a law that says any non-consenual sex is rape.

The Spanish government approved a law on Tuesday to define all non-consensual sex as rape, part of a legislative overhaul that toughens penalties for sexual harassment and mandates more support systems for victims.

It approved the bill five years after what became known as the 'wolf pack' case, in which five men gang-raped an 18-year old woman at Pamplona's bull-running festival, causing public outrage and prompting calls to reform laws on sexual violence.

The draft still requires parliamentary approval, which is expected by the end of the year.

Based around a "yes means yes" model, which qualifies any non-consenting sex as rape, the law will bring Spain into line with 11 other European countries, including Sweden, Portugal and Britain, that use similar legal definitions.

Under existing legislation, a perpetrator must have used physical violence or intimidation for an assault to be classified as rape.

Stalking and street harassment, considered misdemeanors under current legislation, will become crimes, as will female genital mutilation.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »

It's a bit old, but I was trawling through the Madrilenian results to look for the best precinct for the right. I have found in La Moraleja a precinct (Alcobendas 01-036) which voted 96.4% for the right:

PP 79.2%
Vox: 15.6%
Cs: 1.6%

The best for PP specifically was next door at 82.6% (but only 96.3% combined for the right).

La Moraleja is a very uppity neighbourhood. Posh residents call it "La Mora " in their slang. I think football star Cristiano Ronaldo lived there when he was a Real Madrid player

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Moraleja

La Moraleja is an affluent residential district of Alcobendas municipality in northern Community of Madrid, Spain, in the Madrid metropolitan area; located next to El Soto and El Encinar de los Reyes. The Spanish version of Greenwich, it is home to some of Spain's wealthiest people with sprawling mansions and several luxury golf courses such as La Moraleja Golf Club Madrid. 

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2021, 11:12:17 AM »

"Advocates of Catalan independence are neither the elites nor the working class. They are the professionals."  The poll analysis linked below is a must read, apparently

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #439 on: July 07, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »

Well, so Albert Rivera has returned home... to the PP.
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #440 on: July 07, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »

Well, so Albert Rivera has returned home... to the PP.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #441 on: July 10, 2021, 05:37:13 AM »

Well, big news today, as apparently Pedro Sánchez has finally pulled the trigger on a long rumoured about cabinet reshuffle. The final list isn't complete yet and I think it is scheduled for 13:30 if I understand correctly. So far the biggest change is deputy PM Carmen Calvo being fired though many others will lose their posts.

This also only affects the PSOE ministers, with all the UP ministers remaining in their posts.
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #442 on: July 10, 2021, 10:23:58 AM »

Morning of the Long Knives
Deputy PM Calvo and the Foreign Affairs, Education, Science, Justice, Transport and Culture ministers are out, along with Moncloa Chief of Staff Iván Redondo. A total and complete massacre.

Female majority cabinets are back
Number of Deputy PMs goes down to three. New First Deputy PM is Nadia Calviño, Economy minister. Sánchez confidante Félix Bolaños replaces Calvo as Minister for the Presidency. Sánchez oldtimer Óscar López makes a comeback as Chief of Staff. Senate President Pilar Llop becomes the new Minister of Justice, rumor has it Susana Díaz could replace her in the upper chamber.

Fresh faces in the rest of posts. Also, mayors. Mayor of Gavá Raquel Sánchez replaces former heavyweight José Luis Ábalos (he is also out as PSOE organization secretary) in Transport, Zaragoza councillor Pilar Alegría is the new Minister for Education and Mayor of Puertollano Isabel Rodríguez comes in as Territorial Policy Minister, replacing Miquel Iceta, who remains in the cabinet as Minister for Culture; in addition to Government Spokesperson. Ambassador to France José Manuel Albares is the new Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Sadly, we no longer have an astronaut in the Council of Ministers. Minister of Science Pedro Duque is being replaced by (surprise, surprise) a mayor. Specifically the Mayor of Gandía, Diana Morant.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #443 on: July 10, 2021, 12:15:37 PM »

To sum it up, it seems basically that pretty much anyone who had passed an unpopular policy or had a scandal of some sort has been sacked in some way, with a few exceptions. For example you have Carmen Calvo and the Trans Act, Jose Luis Abalos and Delcygate, etc

I guess Sanchez wants new fresh faces in order to capitalize on the upcoming economic recovery the best he can. Plus killing off amy potential internal rivals while he is at it Tongue (not like the people sacked were exactly raging Sanchez critics, most of those are in regional offices)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #444 on: July 11, 2021, 02:28:55 PM »

We cried while while it happened, but our gal Carmen Calvo had to be put down, it was her time.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #445 on: July 11, 2021, 03:34:46 PM »

To sum it up, it seems basically that pretty much anyone who had passed an unpopular policy or had a scandal of some sort has been sacked in some way, with a few exceptions. For example you have Carmen Calvo and the Trans Act, Jose Luis Abalos and Delcygate, etc

Maybe Carmen Calvo was a bit toasted and the controversy on the LGTBI draft (her ipposition to gender self-determination, to be precise) didn't help her. I was not Calvo's fan and her departure leaves just three deputy PMs, so that's fine. However I suspect the case of José Luis Abalos is different, for he has been Pedro Sanchez's right hand alongside Adriana Lastra. Abalos will also cease to be the PSOE's organizational secretary (a party convention will be held next autumn). I feel surprised and don't think his departure is related to fake scandals like the so-called 'Delcygate', which was nothing but media noise. There must be personal differences, or something. I feel a bit sorry about the Foreign Affairs minister, for she made a good job with the agreement on Gibraltar and is no to blame for the crisis with Morocco. The big news, of course, is the exit of the piwerful and influential Iván Redondo.  Rumours point to the electoral defeat in Madrid and the personal ambitions of Redondo as the main causes for his fall. Redondo suggested his departure was voluntary,  but it's symptomatic that Pedro Sánchez thanked Calvo, Abalos and the other ceased cabinet members for his services, while he didn't say a word about his main spin doctor

Needless to say this massive cabinet reshuffle is a direct consequence of a huge pandemic weariness, which is one of the key factors explaining the Ayuso landslide in May and the subsequent PP's lead in the polls. The good news for the government is that we are just in the middle of the legislative term and there is a possibility of economic recovery. The role of Nadia Calviño is reinforced, in order to manage the EU's recovery funds and ensure economic orthodoxy. Other key issues in the political agenda will be the reform of the PP's labour legislation urged bt the EU (Yolanda Díaz needs to negotiate with employers and unions) and the future of the pensions (boomers are aging)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #446 on: July 13, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »

"Sweeping reshuffle"

https://english.elpais.com/economy-and-business/2021-07-12/in-sweeping-reshuffle-spains-pedro-sanchez-names-younger-cabinet-with-more-women.html

Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has carried out a sweeping Cabinet reshuffle, replacing some of his most important ministers, boosting the representation of women and reducing the average age of his team

Sánchez unveiled the changes on Saturday, saying that the new government will focus on Spain’s economic recovery and holding up his new team as a global example of gender equality. The new appointments also “represent a generational renewal, with an average age of 50.”

I have been busy with my own businesses, but heard a few things

- Former Chief of Staff Iván Redondo was apparently seeking to be the Minister for the Presidency, a post held by Carmen Calvo before the reshuffle. Redondo is an independent advisor who joined Pedro Sánchez when the latter was campaigning to regain PSOE's leadership against Susana Diaz, having worked been previously advisor of PP politicians like José Antonio Monago (former Extremadura premier) and the controversial Xavier García Albiol (mayor of Badalona, former PP leader in Catalonia). Redondo had great power and influence and achieved successes for Pedro Sánchez, but he was also responsible for some fiascos (electoral repetition in November 3019, Madrid catastrophe in Msy 2021). The spin doctor was hated by many folks in the PSOE, whom must be pleased with thexappointments of well regarded apparatchiks Óscar López (Chief of Staff) and Félix Bolaños (Presidency). The new appointments strengthen the role of the party in the government snd incorporate people from different factions, but all the power rests in Pedro Sánchez (on a side note, Susana Díaz has accepted to be exiled in the Senate)

- Foreign Affairs minister Arancha Gómez Laya was apparently sacrificed to appease Morocco,  which is sad because I liked her

- José Luis Ábalos ess visibly desolate in his farewell speech before the journalists.  While Carmen Calvo thanked Pedro Sánchez for the opportunity,  Ábalos didn't mention him. What happened between Sánchez and Ábalos remains a mistery

-

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #447 on: July 15, 2021, 08:32:18 PM »

The Constitution Court ruled that the intital stay at home order, because of COVID-19 was unconstitutional.

Spain’s Constitutional Court ruled the initial home lockdowns in the country due to the pandemic were unconstitutional.

The 6-5 court decision on Wednesday found most of the emergency declarations during the pandemic were constitutional but ruled against the stay-at-home orders, state broadcaster TVE reported, according to The Associated Press.

The stay-at-home orders did not allow citizens to go outside except for short shopping trips and necessary work commutes. The first order was in place for six weeks and did not allow citizens to go outside even to exercise.

The court said such restrictions on people’s movement violated basic rights, which is not allowed under a state of emergency, only a state of exception, according to the AP.

The lawsuit was brought on by the Vox party during the pandemic.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #448 on: July 16, 2021, 02:23:35 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2021, 02:27:10 AM by Velasco »

The Spanish Constitutional Court has a conservative majority, pretty much like the US Supreme Court. The term of the current members of the Constitutional Court expired some years ago, but the PP refuses to negotiate the Court's renewal with the governnent. The reason is simple: Pablo Casado's PP has the aim to preserve the current majority, in the hope conservatives and the far-right win the next general election. Sadly the conservative members of that court are drifting rightwards ards Vox. Thi is deeply disturbing, to say the least
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #449 on: July 16, 2021, 04:37:58 AM »

Shows you a deeper discrimination against Eastern Europe in the EU. Spain has amassed enough diplomatic capital to be able to get away with a politicised justice system, but when Poland and Hungary attempt similar, its... ThE eNd Of Da rUlE oF LaW
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies