Who votes more for Dems in '24: Cops or firefighters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:50:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who votes more for Dems in '24: Cops or firefighters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who votes more for Dems in '24?
Police officers

Firefighters

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Who votes more for Dems in '24: Cops or firefighters?  (Read 2478 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2021, 10:22:14 AM »
« edited: March 16, 2021, 09:12:46 PM by Suburbia »

Both are seen as "right-leaning occupations", which occupation votes for Democrats more?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 10:28:55 AM »

Firefighters obviously.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 11:25:44 AM »

If Harris is the nominee, the IAFF may support the GOP...
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 12:37:33 PM »

A more interesting question is which will have a stronger Democratic/weaker Republican trend. I'd bet on cops there.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 01:33:28 PM »

Have they said as much? Does she have a bad record on issues of importance to firefighters???
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 05:12:43 PM »

(Credit to John Dule)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 06:13:34 PM »

Have they said as much? Does she have a bad record on issues of importance to firefighters???

As someone who has a [small], tangential “in” with the IAFF, I would say this is very unlikely. In 2016, endorsing Hillary was deemed untenable (cowards), but they never even entertained endorsing Trump.

I’m sure Harris will be crazy vilified, but I doubt the IAFF would so clearly endorse against their interests. Cops have an incentive to endorse the GOP because Republicans want no police accountability whatsoever. Firefighters get nothing by endorsing the GOP except an Oval Office mouthpiece for their cultural grievances.

That said, Ed Kelly as the new president of the IAFF puts the organization on a different path that will be a lot more conservative-friendly. He is a huge slimeball who laments corruption but still spends the “brothers’ and sisters’” money lavishly on his own luxuries, so in that way he’s kind of in the mold of Trump. He exploited populism, male fragility, and cultural issues to win and knows the members are mostly huge Trumpists.

That was a lot of words to say that yes, the IAFF will become less powerful in Democratic politics, but that I still don’t think they’d outright endorse the GOP.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 07:43:36 PM »

As someone who has a [small], tangential “in” with the IAFF, I would say this is very unlikely. In 2016, endorsing Hillary was deemed untenable (cowards), but they never even entertained endorsing Trump.

I’m sure Harris will be crazy vilified, but I doubt the IAFF would so clearly endorse against their interests. Cops have an incentive to endorse the GOP because Republicans want no police accountability whatsoever. Firefighters get nothing by endorsing the GOP except an Oval Office mouthpiece for their cultural grievances.

That said, Ed Kelly as the new president of the IAFF puts the organization on a different path that will be a lot more conservative-friendly. He is a huge slimeball who laments corruption but still spends the “brothers’ and sisters’” money lavishly on his own luxuries, so in that way he’s kind of in the mold of Trump. He exploited populism, male fragility, and cultural issues to win and knows the members are mostly huge Trumpists.

That was a lot of words to say that yes, the IAFF will become less powerful in Democratic politics, but that I still don’t think they’d outright endorse the GOP.

I think they will still be powerful, because a lot of Black and Latino firefighters are in the IAFF as well....
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 03:04:35 PM »

Are you seriously asking this question after 2020?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 03:38:22 AM »

Firefighters, because I find them to be a center/lean-left group anyway (Even before comparing them to cops)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 09:19:50 PM »

Weren't they already GOP-leaning already before Trump? With Richard Nixon in 1968/1972 along with the hardhats that used to attack antiwar Vietnam War protesters?

It's the Rizzo/Pete King/Richard Riordan/Rudy Giuliani model replicated in other states and nationally: Under Giuliani's mayoralty, his budget had increases in the police and fire municipal budget approved by centrist Queens Democrat, City Council President Peter Vallone, despite the 2001 budget not giving emergency radiophones to firefighters on 9/11.......

https://news.gallup.com/poll/248525/non-college-whites-affinity-gop-trump.aspx

Police nor fire departments should not be politicized, but they have been.....
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 05:54:59 AM »

Before Trump came along, firefighters were probably 50D/50R, cops have always leaned R, apart from like Clinton in 96'.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies