Semi-Presidentialism in Atlasia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:19:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Semi-Presidentialism in Atlasia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Semi-Presidentialism in Atlasia  (Read 1522 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 02:18:29 PM »

I'd support it
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 02:20:43 PM »

Why the f**k should there be 4 regions?
Because Atlasia is larger than ever, and Lincoln's population alone is enough to reasonably support 2 regions that are similar in population to Fremont and the South. And we want more potential for close elections, we don't currently get many on the regional level.

Atlasia is larger than ever due to a registration drive; a registration drive which included offsite recruits (which exponentially increases the speed at which the game can grow).

There was a good analysis by Griffin where, after around 150 registered voters or so, any further increases of the game population are at best met with diminishing returns, and at worst with no activity increases whatsoever. Quite frankly, Atlasia could have 10000 registered members for all I care; but the population of active players has remained fairly constant. We don't even have all our legislatures at their max sizes!

I will however say that 4 regions probably can work, but if it is done it is something that will need a bigger overhaul of some kind; whether it is by hard caps on regional legislatures or by cutting the number of federal congressmen somehow.

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 02:56:14 PM »

4 regions is the way to go if we're gonna reform the game!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 03:01:49 PM »

4 regions is the way to go if we're gonna reform the game!

Ah so you want to turn Labor's 2/3 supermajority into a 3/4 one? That is fine by me Tongue
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 03:03:48 PM »

Where is this 4 region thing coming from?

We have, over the past few years, constantly gone above and below the line of being able to sustainably support the current 3 regions. What has happened over the past weeks is an expansion of the electorate - not necessarily an expansion of potential officeholders. So what reason is there to drastically increase the number of offices being held? Just because we have an electorate size to support 4 regions in elections does not mean we have nearly the player base to support four regional governments.

Sure, at the moment a number of older players have been posting on the board more as a direct result of this presidential elections. But we need to wait and see if that can actually hold up before this becomes an idea that we can seriously entertain.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2021, 03:05:32 PM »

Where is this 4 region thing coming from?

We have, over the past few years, constantly gone above and below the line of being able to sustainably support the current 3 regions. What has happened over the past weeks is an expansion of the electorate - not necessarily an expansion of potential officeholders. So what reason is there to drastically increase the number of offices being held? Just because we have an electorate size to support 4 regions in elections does not mean we have nearly the player base to support four regional governments.

Sure, at the moment a number of older players have been posting on the board more as a direct result of this presidential elections. But we need to wait and see if that can actually hold up before this becomes an idea that we can seriously entertain.
You can have two regions for your buddies and I can have two regions for mine. How about that?
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 06:01:04 PM »

We should not have more than 3 regions. That is the right amount
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 10:32:16 PM »

Someone mentioned the Lincoln Philadelphia plan. I don't know how much this plan is like Lincoln government but we shouldn't go in that direction. In this proposal like in Lincoln I don't like the different class of people, there is a majority, they have more slots, the rest is the opposition. It focuses on partisanship, the goal is take control. I prefer a legislative body when people are more equal and not divided in groups. I find it's better for participation and enjoyment for all and better discussion. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2021, 11:21:09 PM »

Someone mentioned the Lincoln Philadelphia plan. I don't know how much this plan is like Lincoln government but we shouldn't go in that direction. In this proposal like in Lincoln I don't like the different class of people, there is a majority, they have more slots, the rest is the opposition. It focuses on partisanship, the goal is take control. I prefer a legislative body when people are more equal and not divided in groups. I find it's better for participation and enjoyment for all and better discussion. 

In the old days, Talleyrand, TNF, as well as all the other usual suspects, were very much all on board with this model for organizing the then unicameral Senate.

The argument they made was that it would make elections matter more, but in a game that more often then not tilts left, that is not exactly something that can be considered in isolation and the prospect of "perpetual" second class status would discourage participation and actually harm competitive elections because of that discouragement.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2021, 11:25:13 PM »

I'm personally fine with the existing system. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

And we definitely can't sustain four regions again. We never could in the first place, which is why they were consolidated to three.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 12:03:13 AM »

And we definitely can't sustain four regions again. We never could in the first place, which is why they were consolidated to three.

The pre-reset system was five regions, which I agree is too much. Four regions would be a new endeavor, and one that we need if we continue to have 250+ people voting in elections.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 12:07:03 AM »

The pre-reset system was five regions, which I agree is too much. Four regions would be a new endeavor, and one that we need if we continue to have 250+ people voting in elections.

Why do we “need” it? What’s wrong with 80 vote regions?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2021, 01:00:06 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2021, 01:03:36 AM by Scott🦋 »

And that's probably not going to happen, because most of the offsite recruits we've seen over the last month aren't going to turn out again.

I stand corrected, though. We had five regions but two of those five regions were constantly starved for activity, hence the divvying of the Midwest with the West (now Frémont) getting the lion's share of those states, and most of the Mideast going to the Northeast (now Lincoln). You can reform a game until the cows come home, but it's not going to make a difference if people lose interest.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies