|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 04, 2021, 03:44:24 AM

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderators: Gustaf, TJ in Oregon)
  Southern Baptist Convention ready to expel LGBTQ affirming parish amid conservative trajectory
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southern Baptist Convention ready to expel LGBTQ affirming parish amid conservative trajectory  (Read 509 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2021, 11:41:02 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-donald-trump-baptist-southern-baptist-convention-sexual-abuse-by-clergy-1b4bce88b58067f341e6e8eef259307f
ó Some Black pastors have left the SBC and others are voicing their dismay over pronouncements by the SBCís six seminary presidents ó all of them white ó restricting how the subject of systemic racism can be taught at their schools.

ó Several prominent SBC conservatives, citing church doctrine that bars women from being pastors, have questioned why the denominationís North American Mission Board has supported a few churches where women hold titles such as childrenís pastor and teaching pastor. The board says it seeks to persuade such churches to change those titles.

ó The leadership continues to draw criticism from victims of church-related sexual abuse over promises made in 2019 to combat that problem. Activists say inquiries related to sex abuse should be handled by independent experts, not by the SBCís credentials committee.
I can understand following biblical law, but I fail to see how obstructing justice and not recognizing structural racism is something taught in the Bible.

I suppose seeing their church stagnate is a better option then opening ones doors to those wanting to be with Christ.
SecularGlobalist
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 04:17:17 PM »

Weird ass religion.

So wait, they have separate churches for blacks and whites, but it's still considered the same denomination?   Like lol.
Away, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe!
Nathan
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 04:37:24 PM »

Wasn't the SBC moving in a (relatively) more sociopolitically moderate or agnostic direction as recently as two or three years ago?
Alcibiades
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.61

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 04:41:32 PM »

Wasn't the SBC moving in a (relatively) more sociopolitically moderate or agnostic direction as recently as two or three years ago?

I think there was quite a big internal struggle. Relative moderates like Russell Moore were certainly winning some victories, but they did face blowback. I havenít been following any of this recently, so Iím not sure what the outcome of all that was.
RFayette
Concerned Citizen
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »

I think there was quite a big internal struggle. Relative moderates like Russell Moore were certainly winning some victories, but they did face blowback. I havenít been following any of this recently, so Iím not sure what the outcome of all that was.

Both sides in that dispute firmly agreed that homosexuality was a sin, however.  There never really was significant internal division among Southern Baptist leadership about these issues. 
Alcibiades
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 05:04:41 PM »

Both sides in that dispute firmly agreed that homosexuality was a sin, however.  There never really was significant internal division among Southern Baptist leadership about these issues. 

I wasnít referring to whether homosexuality was a sin, but broader issues which the article in OP touches on.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 10:02:30 PM »

Good, purge them all
The Birth of Babalon
discovolante
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -7.65

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 03:47:59 PM »

Just as I was getting comfy and deradicalized by having lived among all the pride flag-displaying churches in downtown Baltimore and getting to know lots of tolerant folk here, I'm back to writing my pissed-off little manifesto about how queer people should shut out cishet faiths and aggressively embrace our pagan past to achieve religious liberation. Some of the responses in this thread are quite worrying regarding how accepted I can feel here, to be frank.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 04:17:32 PM »

Just as I was getting comfy and deradicalized by having lived among all the pride flag-displaying churches in downtown Baltimore and getting to know lots of tolerant folk here, I'm back to writing my pissed-off little manifesto about how queer people should shut out cishet faiths and aggressively embrace our pagan past to achieve religious liberation. Some of the responses in this thread are quite worrying regarding how accepted I can feel here, to be frank.

Oh the language and descriptors used here and in a few other topics on this board concerning LGBT+ issues is downright disgraceful.
The Birth of Babalon
discovolante
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -7.65

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 04:21:01 PM »

Oh the language and descriptors used here and in a few other topics on this board concerning LGBT+ issues is downright disgraceful.

Maybe one day I'll post said writing of mine here just to watch people seethe, if I can summon the spirit of Bellona enough in my heart to soldier on with bloody primal rage past my deeply-ingrained self-consciousness about having anyone disagree with my convictions ever.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 04:25:03 PM »

A major problem with the SBC is that itís insular conservative structure, along with bloc voting and political connections, still keeps their membership numbers very stable compared to other denominations. Still, the present stagnation and hostility to even black membership means that it canít get any growth aside from birth rates, but that isnít doable for them to get above replacement level either.
Vice President Scott🦋
Scott
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 04:25:25 PM »

We'll take them. Smile
Gulf Coastal Elite
Donerail
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -1.04

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »

So wait, they have separate churches for blacks and whites, but it's still considered the same denomination?   Like lol.
"The most segregated hour of Christian America is 11 o'clock on Sunday."
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Concerned Citizen
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 07:38:31 PM »

Where you attend church is often a good clue to your ethnic or regional background as well among whites. If you attend a Lutheran or Reformed church rather than say a Methodist or Presbyterian congregation, that's a very good indication you have German/Scandinavian or Dutch ancestry even if you are Americanized in every other respect.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 10:09:32 PM »

Where you attend church is often a good clue to your ethnic or regional background as well among whites. If you attend a Lutheran or Reformed church rather than say a Methodist or Presbyterian congregation, that's a very good indication you have German/Scandinavian or Dutch ancestry even if you are Americanized in every other respect.

It's more an indication of the ethnicity of the original white settlers than anything else, hence the relatively large number of Lutheran churches in my part of South Carolina.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »

Just a reminder that they donít expel pastors who molested teens, got them pregnant, and then forced them to get an abortion.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »

Paganism is fake news.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies