Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:40:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination  (Read 7107 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 19, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »

Tanden wasn't good anyways, so who cares but this better not be Manchin trying to flex.

It’s either that or a sign Tanden is getting a Republican vote
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:44:23 PM »

Tanden wasn't good anyways, so who cares but this better not be Manchin trying to flex.

It’s either that or a sign Tanden is getting a Republican vote

The question then is, who?

Ironically, Tanden has mean tweets about Collins, Murkowski and Romney.

Could also be Manchin trying to flex ahead of reconciliation.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 04:53:20 PM »

This also makes it a lot more likely that he votes against Haaland btw.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 10:54:40 PM by Congrats, Griffin! »

The double standard between the establishment and the progressive wing really is something to behold. If a supporter of yours with 100 followers tweets something mean out, it becomes local news. It makes you so unqualified that it provokes the Speaker of the House to break tradition and endorse your primary challenger.

If you willfully associate with the dregs of Twitter and you're part of the club, you can be anything. You can be the head of the largest government office in the United States. You can be MSNBC's rising star. You can even be Second Gentleman! After all, real life isn't Twitter, and they're just mean tweets.

The double standard is a huge part of why I feel alienated from the party. Moderate heroes are lauded and opposing Democrats from the right isn't a dealbreaker at all but if you even try to push leftward you're literally a Trump supporter.

The only compelling argument for supporting Tanden’s nomination is that she’s not Bruce Reed.

Edit: Apparently Gene Sperling is the frontrunner for OMB, sound like Tanden is gonna get yanked.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2021, 09:34:44 AM by Congrats, Griffin! »

I'm surprised it's not Bernie who came out against her at first. While I often agree with Tanden on the issues, some of her tweets against both Bernie and some Republicans are problematic. Perhaps Uncle Joe should not have nominated her since she's just too controversial. Let's see what happens, maybe some Republicans save her with their votes, but it would be hilarious if it's Collins and Romney, whom she attacked as well.

Bernie isn't going to pick that fight and is more concerned about getting someone who's strong on policy in there. He'd rather spend his political capital, say, fighting for a public option rather than getting back at someone for talking crap on Twitter.

It's a cuck move, but I get it.

I don’t think it’s a cuck move so much as a pragmatic one.  Non-Berniecrats should treat it as a reminder that as bad as the #RoseTwitter crowd can be, they’re not Bernie and people should stop acting as though they are.  Bernie made the mistake of surrounding himself with these folks in 2020 and it hurt him badly in the primaries, but he hasn’t done that as Budget Committee Chairman.  Bernie would be punching down - way down - if he threw a tantrum b/c of Tanden’s tweets.  Instead, he’s biting the bullet and trying to give as many progressives a seat at the table as possible in Biden’s administration.  

OTOH, Manchin doesn’t give a crap about Tanden, but he’s just flexing ahead of reconciliation.  I do worry about Manchin potentially voting against Haaland btw; she won’t get any Republican support and is probably gonna require a cloture vote as it is Sad

Anyway, how long do we think until Tanden withdraws from consideration?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »

I'm surprised it's not Bernie who came out against her at first. While I often agree with Tanden on the issues, some of her tweets against both Bernie and some Republicans are problematic. Perhaps Uncle Joe should not have nominated her since she's just too controversial. Let's see what happens, maybe some Republicans save her with their votes, but it would be hilarious if it's Collins and Romney, whom she attacked as well.

Bernie isn't going to pick that fight and is more concerned about getting someone who's strong on policy in there. He'd rather spend his political capital, say, fighting for a public option rather than getting back at someone for talking crap on Twitter.

It's a cuck move, but I get it.

I don’t think it’s a cuck move so much as a pragmatic one.  Non-Berniecrats should treat it as a reminder that as bad as the #RoseTwitter crowd can be, they’re not Bernie and people should stop acting as though they are.  Bernie made the mistake of surrounding himself with these folks in 2020 and it hurt him badly in the primaries, but he hasn’t done that as Budget Committee Chairman.  Bernie would be punching down - way down - if he threw a tantrum b/c of Tanden’s tweets.  Instead, he’s biting the bullet and trying to give as many progressives a seat at the table as possible in Biden’s administration.  

OTOH, Manchin doesn’t give a crap about Tanden, but he’s just flexing ahead of reconciliation.  I do worry about Manchin potentially voting against Haaland btw; she won’t get any Republican support and is probably gonna require a cloture vote as it is Sad

If Manchin tries to kill Haaland's nomination, even I'd advocate for Schumer to expel him.

Edit: Democrats do not kill such important and historic firsts like that.

Making Mitch McConnell Majority Leader to own the ConservaDems Roll Eyes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 02:17:58 PM »

I understand that it's "pragmatic". Most of my support was extremely begrudging as-is, and was in the case of "at least she's not Bruce Reed or a deficit hawk." That being said, there's a Democratic equivalent to Rose Twitter out there. Not only did Neera amplify the worst actors of this clique, but you could have made the case that she was a part of that clique herself!

There's a difference between, say, attacking Bernie during a heated primary and knowingly and willfully amplifying and fraternizing with anti-Semites and Charlottesville apologists. There's proof of her interacting with, retweeting, following, and even calling the people I mentioned her friends. At best, she has negligently given her platform to bad actors in the party for years. At worst, she agrees with them.

It's still undeniably a cuck move to vote for someone who blamed you for COVID, or is friends with people who call you a fake Jew. I get it and my focus is the same as Bernie's, but it's still cuck energy.

I’m not defending Tanden or anything; I’m just saying Bernie was showing a willingness to put implementing progressive policies ahead of personal grievances and to me that’s something he doesn’t get enough credit for in general.  To my mind, there’s a difference between being pragmatic and being a spineless pushover; Bernie was being the former.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 04:39:24 PM »

Drilling in ANWR in exchange for... Neera Tanden

Imagine actually believing there was any chance of this actually happening Roll Eyes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 03:28:48 PM »

By the way according to the Biden admin the most important way to help Small Buisnesses is by appointing a woman to be the head of it.

Please cite
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 05:32:09 PM »

the Biden administration fighting harder for a job for one of their cronies than for a $15 minimum wage

bruh are you serious right now
yes? i know you don't like $15 because you don't think people deserve to be paid a living wage but, unfortunately for you, your guy repeatedly committed himself to that position

Imagine actually believing that the reason $15 minimum wage got stripped from the reconciliation bill is that Biden wasn’t willing to fight as hard for it as he is for Neera Tanden’s all but dead nomination Roll Eyes  

The only people talking about Murkowski getting something for backing Tanden are Thune, Cornyn, and Murkowski.  No one in the WH has given the slightest indication they’re willing to trade anything for Murkowski’s vote.  This is just Republicans desperately (and unsuccessfully) flailing about for a way to avoid getting completely steamrolled and coming away from the fight over the COVID-19 bill with nothing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies