Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:20:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination  (Read 7126 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2021, 10:59:01 PM »

I can't wait until I try and get a job in the future LeBron James Administration and my nomination gets sunk because I "associated" with all these morons on Atlas who suddenly get their tens of thousands of posts combed through by Twitter detectives looking for some random bad take to pull out of context.

General MacArthur, a known associate of runeghost, who said "all conservatives are incels", and vitaNova, who declared mathematics "pointless and obsolete."  They used to hang out and chat together on the Talk Elections Web Blog.  Can we really have someone like this in charge of our nuclear silos?

Yes, thank you for explaining why the ridiculous standard you and your ilk held people like us to is ridiculous.

Call me when Neera runs for president, makes Candice Aiston her speechwriter, puts Ragnarok Lobster in charge of communications, and has Dane Weeks as her hype man at rallies.

Seriously, have you seen what Briahna Joy Gray is doing these days.  She used to have to pretend all the awfulness was some big unhappy coincidence and the campaign wasn't doing anything to incite/promote it.  Ever since then it's been 100% mask off.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2021, 11:01:52 PM »

PSA to progressives: you probably shouldn't be lauding Manchin for this before we find out who Biden would replace Tanden with, because you might like them even less. Even if her Twitter antics were childish, she wasn't Biden's most moderate option (*cough cough* Bruce Reed), and I hope we all care about the actual policy ramifications of the OMB more than we care about personalities.

Keeping as many psychopathic Hillary attack dogs out of office as possible is a good thing.

Once again, I hope you would care more about the effect that Tanden would have on the OMB than about her allegiance to Hillary Clinton, and that if she would be more progressive than another pick, you would prefer her. Too much to ask, obviously.

Neera Tanden is a UAE operative, so her policies suck too.

I very clearly said "if she would be more progressive than another pick." I'm not saying you are supposed to like her; I don't particularly like her. I'm simply saying she is not the absolute worst person to run the OMB, so before everyone gets all excited about her nomination being in jeopardy, we should probably see if her replacement will not be worse. I don't really know what's so complicated about that. I presume you're not infatuated with Joe Biden, so the notion that he could pick someone less progressive than Tanden is probably something you would find very plausible (and it is plausible).
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2021, 11:03:36 PM »

Honestly, I don't have strong opinions on this either way. I do think this disapproves this theory that Manchin will vote party line no matter what, but Biden can easily nominate someone who is less controversial
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2021, 11:58:02 PM »

Yes, thank you for explaining why the ridiculous standard you and your ilk held people like us to is ridiculous.

Call me when Neera runs for president, makes Candice Aiston her speechwriter, puts Ragnarok Lobster in charge of communications, and has Dane Weeks as her hype man at rallies.

Seriously, have you seen what Briahna Joy Gray is doing these days.  She used to have to pretend all the awfulness was some big unhappy coincidence and the campaign wasn't doing anything to incite/promote it.  Ever since then it's been 100% mask off.

You're the one who brought up Bernie, not me. I've already said that centering the Online left and running a base campaign was a huge mistake that Bernie paid for in the primaries.

I brought up Ed Markey, who made none of the mistakes that Bernie made and had all the expectation to police his lunatic supporters. He never put a #ForceTheVote nutjob in a high-visibility position, or anyone who wasn't equivocally Democratic. The Online left backed him, and he supported a lot of the positions of the Online left, but he never put the Onliners front and center. He doesn't even fall into bad messaging traps or criticize Democrats like AOC and the Squad do!

Markey's "bros" were never visible. Let's go back to the time Kennedy demanded Markey's condemnation for a supporter tweeting "bullying works". I found the tweet - dude has 1,000 followers, and is a random person. It didn't even go viral! It only had 8 likes to it, and only has a few. Like clockwork, more tweets from random, obscure people were dredged up by the campaign regardless of proof. Essentially, Kennedy had blatantly manufactured a "Markey Bro" narrative to paint him as too far left, and leaders in the Democratic House went along with it.

You're only bringing up Bernie because you know you don't have any defense for your behavior. You yourself have even acknowledged how ridiculous holding campaigns accountable for their lunatic fringe is. But of course, whenever the left does it, you're the first and loudest voice calling for immediate condemnation. It's one thing to engage in bro discourse, and it's a completely different thing to pretend to be above the toxicity that you and your side gleefully engage in.

But then again, everyone here knows you never cared about civility anyway. You defended a gentile Biden delegate calling Bernie a self-hating Jew.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2021, 02:22:12 AM »

The left wing opposing her nomination is good tactics because it shows that 1) the left wing of the Democratic Party, just like the right wing, can veto Democratic nominees, and 2) members of the Democratic Party must not slander and abuse the left wing of the party if they want a political future, just like they must not slander and abuse the right wing of the party.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2021, 02:30:20 AM »

Biden is supposed to be about unity...she should not be confirmed.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2021, 02:57:55 AM »

I don't think Tanden's going to really struggle to get enough votes anyway. Manchin's just being silly and is going to look like a derp when even some Republicans vote to confirm her.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2021, 05:37:06 AM »

I'm surprised it's not Bernie who came out against her at first. While I often agree with Tanden on the issues, some of her tweets against both Bernie and some Republicans are problematic. Perhaps Uncle Joe should not have nominated her since she's just too controversial. Let's see what happens, maybe some Republicans save her with their votes, but it would be hilarious if it's Collins and Romney, whom she attacked as well.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2021, 09:06:58 AM »

Biden should drop Neera Tanden and replace her with Gene Sperling.  To make up for the loss of a woman, Biden should also drop Tom Vilsack and replace him with the woman he fired when he was previously Agriculture Secretary.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2021, 09:10:56 AM »

Biden should drop Neera Tanden and replace her with Gene Sperling.  To make up for the loss of a woman, Biden should also drop Tom Vilsack and replace him with the woman he fired when he was previously Agriculture Secretary.

Looks like Sperling is the top choice. I'm not into quotas but from many accounts Vilsack was a sub par agsec and should also be replaced.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »

Looks like Sperling is the top choice. I'm not into quotas but from many accounts Vilsack was a sub par agsec and should also be replaced.

1.In Bob Woodward's book The Agenda, Gene Sperling comes across as the hero of the book.  Very well informed, extremely hard working and very smart.

2.Vilsack, in my opinion, is a worse choice than Neera Tanden.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2021, 09:42:30 AM »

Not surprising.

The rurals don't like technocratic womyn of color.  
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2021, 11:14:31 AM »

Biden should drop Neera Tanden and replace her with Gene Sperling.  To make up for the loss of a woman, Biden should also drop Tom Vilsack and replace him with the woman he fired when he was previously Agriculture Secretary.

Don’t forget the Indian American quota, need to drop Garland for Sri Srinivasan as well
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »

Honestly, I don't have strong opinions on this either way. I do think this disapproves this theory that Manchin will vote party line no matter what, but Biden can easily nominate someone who is less controversial

Same here. That said, if I was Biden and wanted Tanden to play a role, I would have offered her a WH position that doesn't require senate approval.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2021, 01:57:46 PM »

I don't think Tanden's going to really struggle to get enough votes anyway. Manchin's just being silly and is going to look like a derp when even some Republicans vote to confirm her.

I think it’s certainly possible she doesn’t get confirmed. Are we sure Manchin is the only D-no at this point? Not everyone has publicly taken a position, and there are a couple Senators on the left or right edges of the party that I could see voting no (especially now that they wouldn’t be the first one to announce it). On the other hand, there are 2 or 3 Republicans who might want to boost their “bipartisanship” by putting the nominee over the top.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2021, 06:56:05 PM »

Senate Republicans will not pass up a chance to kill one of Biden's nominees.  And now they have an opening.

No president has gotten all their initial nominees through since I became eligible to vote a month before the 1992 elections.  Someone is going to go down.  Tanden has made too many enemies.  And Budget Chairman Sanders will not spend any of his political capital to save her.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2021, 08:42:00 PM »

Nobody should be getting dropped. All of his nominees should get their votes, at least at the committee level, and if someone gets voted down, we go from there.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2021, 12:07:16 AM »

I'm surprised it's not Bernie who came out against her at first. While I often agree with Tanden on the issues, some of her tweets against both Bernie and some Republicans are problematic. Perhaps Uncle Joe should not have nominated her since she's just too controversial. Let's see what happens, maybe some Republicans save her with their votes, but it would be hilarious if it's Collins and Romney, whom she attacked as well.

Bernie isn't going to pick that fight and is more concerned about getting someone who's strong on policy in there. He'd rather spend his political capital, say, fighting for a public option rather than getting back at someone for talking crap on Twitter.

It's a cuck move, but I get it.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2021, 01:26:33 AM »

I find it funny that this is the hill that Manchin picked. WTF, I love Neera Tanden now. Ok, not really, but I’m still surprised that this is who Manchin decided to put his foot down against. Maybe she’s a sacrificial lamb as others have suggested? Seems kinda far fetched though.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2021, 09:34:44 AM by Congrats, Griffin! »

Bernie isn't going to pick that fight and is more concerned about getting someone who's strong on policy in there. He'd rather spend his political capital, say, fighting for a public option rather than getting back at someone for talking crap on Twitter.

I don’t think it’s a cuck move so much as a pragmatic one.  Non-Berniecrats should treat it as a reminder that as bad as the #RoseTwitter crowd can be, they’re not Bernie and people should stop acting as though they are.  Bernie made the mistake of surrounding himself with these folks in 2020 and it hurt him badly in the primaries, but he hasn’t done that as Budget Committee Chairman.  Bernie would be punching down - way down - if he threw a tantrum b/c of Tanden’s tweets.  Instead, he’s biting the bullet and trying to give as many progressives a seat at the table as possible in Biden’s administration.  

OTOH, Manchin doesn’t give a crap about Tanden, but he’s just flexing ahead of reconciliation.  I do worry about Manchin potentially voting against Haaland btw; she won’t get any Republican support and is probably gonna require a cloture vote as it is Sad

Anyway, how long do we think until Tanden withdraws from consideration?
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »

I don’t think it’s a cuck move so much as a pragmatic one.  Non-Berniecrats should treat it as a reminder that as bad as the #RoseTwitter crowd can be, they’re not Bernie and people should stop acting as though they are.  Bernie made the mistake of surrounding himself with these folks in 2020 and it hurt him badly in the primaries, but he hasn’t done that as Budget Committee Chairman.  Bernie would be punching down - way down - if he threw a tantrum b/c of Tanden’s tweets.  Instead, he’s biting the bullet and trying to give as many progressives a seat at the table as possible in Biden’s administration.  

OTOH, Manchin doesn’t give a crap about Tanden, but he’s just flexing ahead of reconciliation.  I do worry about Manchin potentially voting against Haaland btw; she won’t get any Republican support and is probably gonna require a cloture vote as it is Sad

If Manchin tries to kill Haaland's nomination, even I'd advocate for Schumer to expel him.

Edit: Democrats do not kill such important and historic firsts like that.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »

If Manchin tries to kill Haaland's nomination, even I'd advocate for Schumer to expel him.

Why? Nominees tend to be far less consequential than laws - there are usually many capable people who subscribe to any given nominee's school of though and unless Manchin's objection is strictly ideological, it can be worked around.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »

Making Mitch McConnell Majority Leader to own the ConservaDems Roll Eyes
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2021, 10:00:22 AM »

Why? Nominees are far less consequential than laws, because there are usually many capable people who subscribe to any given nominee's school of thought.

Haaland is seen as an important pick for multiple reasons. It would give Native American's actual representation in the United States government. After all the horrors the Native American community has endured from The US government, a Native American woman leading The Department of the Interior would be incredibly symbolic.

And ignoring everything else, record turnout among Native American's helped flip Arizona and the Midwest.

BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »

Making Mitch McConnell Majority Leader to own the ConservaDems Roll Eyes

Democrats don't kill historic firsts like that. Atleast not anymore.

Manchin got his scalp to take home with Tanden's nomination. He doesn't need to kill Haaland's nomination. Him trying would actually be offensive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies