Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:45:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination  (Read 7081 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2021, 06:43:51 PM »

What exactly has she Tweeted? I can't find them.

This probably isn't what most people grumbling about her care about in particular, but the fact that she actually engaged with those moron trolls who hijacked Mike Gravel's Twitter account strikes me as proof that she had bad judgement enough to disqualify her.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2021, 06:49:36 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 06:53:00 PM by brucejoel99 »

What Republican is going to vote for Tanden? This nomination was always a mistake except as a sacrifice.

Presumably 1 of Romney, Murkowski, Collins. I guess Murkowski:

Tanden wasn't good anyways, so who cares but this better not be Manchin trying to flex.

It’s either that or a sign Tanden is getting a Republican vote

The question then is, who?

Ironically, Tanden has mean tweets about Collins, Murkowski and Romney.

Murkowski would probably make the most sense: she'd get to look like a good person who's capable of forgiveness, while at the same time, she'd get to show the Alaskan Democrats & independents that she's gonna need for an RCV victory next year that she's sincere in wanting to work with the administration when & where she can.

She deleted a lot of them once she was nominated, google "Tanden tweets" under images & you'll see a lot there.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2021, 06:51:06 PM »

When Manchin is more based than Sanders...
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2021, 06:55:09 PM »

PSA to progressives: you probably shouldn't be lauding Manchin for this before we find out who Biden would replace Tanden with, because you might like them even less. Even if her Twitter antics were childish, she wasn't Biden's most moderate option (*cough cough* Bruce Reed), and I hope we all care about the actual policy ramifications of the OMB more than we care about personalities.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 07:26:05 PM by sawx »

The thing that pushed me over the edge was when she blamed Bernie not dropping out for a COVID uptick in Florida post-primary election. There was also some BlueAnon crap about how Bernie was a Russian agent as well.

If we want to get into associations, she associated with a lot of the toxic #NeverBernie types. This includes (but isn't limited to) Dane Weeks, a virulent anti-Semite, Ragnarok Lobster, who defended Heather Heyer's murderer because she was a Bernie supporter, and Candice Aiston, who attempted to silence a rape survivor for asking her not to use her rape to score political points. Neera Tanden isn't the nicest person, but the people she associates with make her look like Joe Biden in comparison.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2021, 07:16:12 PM »

The thing that pushed me over the edge was when she blamed Bernie not dropping out for a COVID uptick in Florida post-primary election.
She's actually got a point there. My fellow canvassers were under direct orders from Bernie HQ to spread coronavirus to retirees and shut-ins.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »

PSA to progressives: you probably shouldn't be lauding Manchin for this before we find out who Biden would replace Tanden with, because you might like them even less. Even if her Twitter antics were childish, she wasn't Biden's most moderate option (*cough cough* Bruce Reed), and I hope we all care about the actual policy ramifications of the OMB more than we care about personalities.

Keeping as many psychopathic Hillary attack dogs out of office as possible is a good thing.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2021, 07:38:04 PM »

The double standard between the establishment and the progressive wing really is something to behold. If a supporter of yours with 100 followers tweets something mean out, it becomes local news. It makes you so unqualified that it provokes the Speaker of the House to break tradition and endorse your primary challenger.

If you willfully associate with the dregs of Twitter and you're part of the club, you can be anything. You can be the head of the largest government office in the United States. You can be MSNBC's rising star. You can even be Second Gentleman! After all, real life isn't Twitter, and they're just mean tweets.

The double standard is a huge part of why I feel alienated from the party. Moderate heroes are lauded and opposing Democrats from the right isn't a dealbreaker at all but if you even try to push leftward you're literally a Trump supporter.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »

For the best. Now we can get someone both less controversial and better.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2021, 07:48:39 PM »

I can't wait until I try and get a job in the future LeBron James Administration and my nomination gets sunk because I "associated" with all these morons on Atlas who suddenly get their tens of thousands of posts combed through by Twitter detectives looking for some random bad take to pull out of context.

General MacArthur, a known associate of runeghost, who said "all conservatives are incels", and vitaNova, who declared mathematics "pointless and obsolete."  They used to hang out and chat together on the Talk Elections Web Blog.  Can we really have someone like this in charge of our nuclear silos?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2021, 07:50:53 PM »

Either Schumer wants the nomination torpedoed or he had a Republican yes lined up. No way Manchin is just going rogue over this...
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2021, 07:54:10 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 07:59:08 PM by sawx »

I can't wait until I try and get a job in the future LeBron James Administration and my nomination gets sunk because I "associated" with all these morons on Atlas who suddenly get their tens of thousands of posts combed through by Twitter detectives looking for some random bad take to pull out of context.

General MacArthur, a known associate of runeghost, who said "all conservatives are incels", and vitaNova, who declared mathematics "pointless and obsolete."  They used to hang out and chat together on the Talk Elections Web Blog.  Can we really have someone like this in charge of our nuclear silos?

Yes, thank you for explaining why the ridiculous standard you and your ilk held people like us to is ridiculous.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2021, 08:16:56 PM »

The double standard between the establishment and the progressive wing really is something to behold. If a supporter of yours with 100 followers tweets something mean out, it becomes local news. It makes you so unqualified that it provokes the Speaker of the House to break tradition and endorse your primary challenger.

If you willfully associate with the dregs of Twitter and you're part of the club, you can be anything. You can be the head of the largest government office in the United States. You can be MSNBC's rising star. You can even be Second Gentleman! After all, real life isn't Twitter, and they're just mean tweets.

The double standard is a huge part of why I feel alienated from the party. Moderate heroes are lauded and opposing Democrats from the right isn't a dealbreaker at all but if you even try to push leftward you're literally a Trump supporter.

When will the Clinton Bros, Biden Bros, and Kamala Bros be held accountable for being mean on Twitter???
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2021, 08:46:28 PM »

I highly doubt that any Repub will vote for Tanden - even Mitt, Susan or Lisa.

I don't support Neera Tanden's nomination, so I hope her nomination fails and Biden appoints someone better. However, if Tanden somehow get's confirmed - it's whatever.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 10:54:40 PM by Congrats, Griffin! »

The only compelling argument for supporting Tanden’s nomination is that she’s not Bruce Reed.

Edit: Apparently Gene Sperling is the frontrunner for OMB, sound like Tanden is gonna get yanked.
Roblox

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2021, 09:15:41 PM »

I see people saying that they already have a republican vote locked up for Tanden, but that feels like cope. They didn’t even tell Bernie about her nomination before it happened, people really over estimate how much these things are masterminded lol.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2021, 09:30:07 PM »

It’ll be hilarious if Manchin is doing this to eclipse a concession to Biden on the relief package.

We on the left are going to have to do our best to remind everyone that we have definitely been 100% owned by the rejection of Tanden, and those of us in the back should stop laughing at this epic defeat.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2021, 09:32:12 PM »

He probably won’t be the only Democrat to oppose her nomination.

Bernie already said he'd vote for her but I can imagine Manchin just opened the floodgates for the moderates to come and sink her.

Damn it, why is Bernie such a doormat?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2021, 09:52:20 PM »

Apparently Gene Sparling is the frontrunner for OMB, sound like Tanden is gonna get yanked.

*Sperling
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »

It’ll be hilarious if Manchin is doing this to eclipse a concession to Biden on the relief package.

We on the left are going to have to do our best to remind everyone that we have definitely been 100% owned by the rejection of Tanden, and those of us in the back should stop laughing at this epic defeat.
Replacing her with Bruce goddamned Reed would legitimately be hugely disappointing.

slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2021, 10:12:47 PM »

Apparently Gene Sparling is the frontrunner for OMB, sound like Tanden is gonna get yanked.

*Sperling

He doesn't seem like a particularly offensive pick for progressives, no? Just based on what I have quickly read up about him
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2021, 10:14:56 PM »

Keeping as many psychopathic Hillary attack dogs out of office as possible is a good thing.

Once again, I hope you would care more about the effect that Tanden would have on the OMB than about her allegiance to Hillary Clinton, and that if she would be more progressive than another pick, you would prefer her. Too much to ask, obviously.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2021, 10:15:10 PM »

*Sperling

He doesn't seem like a particularly offensive pick for progressives, no? Just based on what I have quickly read up about him

Yeah, he's gotten infinitely better in terms of advocating for legitimately progressive economic policies since his days in the Clinton administration, but I'm sure we'll hear at least some corners of the left (e.g., your jfern-types) spew the "once a dirty corporate neolib, always a dirty corporate neolib" type of spiel.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2021, 10:55:31 PM »

Once again, I hope you would care more about the effect that Tanden would have on the OMB than about her allegiance to Hillary Clinton, and that if she would be more progressive than another pick, you would prefer her. Too much to ask, obviously.

Neera Tanden is a UAE operative, so her policies suck too.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2021, 10:58:03 PM »

She sucks, but Biden is president, not Bernie, and she's probably one of the better OMB directors we're gonna get, considering that. I hope she gets the job, even if I don't like her.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies