Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:28:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Manchin to oppose neera tanden nomination  (Read 7115 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2021, 06:03:46 PM »
« edited: February 25, 2021, 06:07:59 PM by GALeftist »

OK, I've been holding off from posting about this, but the vitriol from Twitter centrists/KHive over Seung Min Kim's reporting is completely abhorrent. Won't link any of it because there is lots of bigotry and lots of handwaving of said bigotry, but I truly don't understand why some people seem unable to just disagree with something a woman/POC does without just resorting to unadulterated racism/sexism.

Edit: This also goes to show how dumb it is to say that online toxicity is exclusive to certain political figures and how dumb it is to blame those figures for said toxicity. I'm sure Kamala herself would be appalled at the statements and justifications that many of her fans are making.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2021, 06:07:21 PM »

OK, I've been holding off from posting about this, but the vitriol from Twitter centrists/KHive over Seung Min Kim's reporting is completely abhorrent. Won't link any of it because there is lots of bigotry and lots of handwaving of said bigotry, but I truly don't understand why some people seem unable to just disagree with something a woman/POC does without just resorting to unadulterated racism/sexism.

Biden or Psaki should honestly issue a statement ASAP, especially considering the state of heightened anti-Asian sentiment going on.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2021, 06:07:56 PM »

It's not that abhorrent: it's morons on a hellsite. However, we shouldn't go out of our way to deny it's abhorrent until establishment figures publicly admit that you cannot really control your Twitter followers' rudeness.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2021, 06:09:56 PM »

#KHive is terrible, but Twitter as a whole is just a nightmare
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2021, 06:23:15 PM »

Her nomination should be withdrawn, and it should've never happened in the first place. From the beginning, her even being selected was a giant middle finger to progressives who did the right thing and held their noses and voted for Joe Biden. She spent years belittling progressive online, not to mention the ridiculous behavior she displayed in her workplace. Why propose somebody who was obviously going to generate a lot of controversy? If I recall correctly, Biden announced she'd be the nominee before the Georgia elections, in which case there was never a chance she'd get through a Republican-controlled Senate.

I don't often agree with Joe Manchin, but come on, we can do so much better. She was an awful pick, and it's embarrassing she hasn't been withdrawn yet.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2021, 06:28:36 PM »

Her nomination should be withdrawn, and it should've never happened in the first place. From the beginning, her even being selected was a giant middle finger to progressives who did the right thing and held their noses and voted for Joe Biden. She spent years belittling progressive online, not to mention the ridiculous behavior she displayed in her workplace. Why propose somebody who was obviously going to generate a lot of controversy? If I recall correctly, Biden announced she'd be the nominee before the Georgia elections, in which case there was never a chance she'd get through a Republican-controlled Senate.

I don't often agree with Joe Manchin, but come on, we can do so much better. She was an awful pick, and it's embarrassing she hasn't been withdrawn yet.

Hence the speculation she was always a "sacrificial" pick.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2021, 06:29:13 PM »

Can someone assure me that O'Leary or Sperling would somehow be better from a policy perspective? Because if not I really don't see the handwringing over her being mean on Twitter.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2021, 06:46:15 PM »

#KHive is terrible, but Twitter as a whole is just a nightmare

Twitter has turned into Facebook but with more anonymity. There are multiple Twitter bubbles and each bubble feels like they're in the right. People relish in going after one another, especially people who are in different Twitter bubbles.  

I follow a few centrists on Twitter and they posted positive reactions to the harassment. I use Twitter as a means to keep up to date on political news but after last night I'm truly considering logging off forever.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2021, 06:51:02 PM »

Drilling in ANWR in exchange for... Neera Tanden

What the f**k

I seriously hope this is spin on Cornyn's end. If Biden is seriously considering selling out the ANWR for f**king Tanden, he honestly deserves everything bad leftists have said about him and more.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2021, 06:57:56 PM »

What the f**k

I seriously hope this is spin on Cornyn's end. If Biden is seriously considering selling out the ANWR for f**king Tanden, he honestly deserves everything bad leftists have said about him and more.

I try not to be dismissive on this website but you can't be serious.

Biden isn't selling out ANWR for Tanden.
randomusername

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2021, 09:10:22 PM »

But muh Bernie Bros mean on Twitter.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2021, 11:12:38 PM »

But muh Bernie Bros mean on Twitter.

You gotta love the hypocrisy.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2021, 03:20:42 PM »

By the way according to the Biden admin the most important way to help Small Buisnesses is by appointing a woman to be the head of it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2021, 03:28:48 PM »

By the way according to the Biden admin the most important way to help Small Buisnesses is by appointing a woman to be the head of it.

Please cite
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »

Please cite

She listed other reasons later but she clearly stated "First and foremost" at 1:17
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »

Please cite

She listed other reasons later but she clearly stated "First and foremost" at 1:17

A woman who formerly worked there was the point
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2021, 04:13:42 PM »

What the f**k

Will you relax dude, he's not going to do that LOL
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2021, 03:38:32 PM »

the Biden administration fighting harder for a job for one of their cronies than for a $15 minimum wage

bruh are you serious right now
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2021, 04:11:53 PM »

If Biden does give something to Murkowski, it should be about something more than just Tanden. Doing a deal with Murkowski is theoretically a good idea, but it shouldn't be over a meaningless battle. I don't know if we'll find out what may end up being agreed on either or both side though.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2021, 04:14:41 PM »

Please cite

Please be smarter

"used"
"to"
"work"
"there"
compucomp

« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2021, 05:15:37 PM »

PredictIt has it at a 50-50 chance that she is confirmed. I must say as a neutral observer, it's highly amusing to watch two different groups of liberals, establishment Dems and environmentalists, fight each other and alternatively flip their sh**t depending on the current status of a Murkowski deal. I can see why the conservatives like owning the libs so much.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2021, 05:32:09 PM »

the Biden administration fighting harder for a job for one of their cronies than for a $15 minimum wage

bruh are you serious right now
yes? i know you don't like $15 because you don't think people deserve to be paid a living wage but, unfortunately for you, your guy repeatedly committed himself to that position

Imagine actually believing that the reason $15 minimum wage got stripped from the reconciliation bill is that Biden wasn’t willing to fight as hard for it as he is for Neera Tanden’s all but dead nomination Roll Eyes  

The only people talking about Murkowski getting something for backing Tanden are Thune, Cornyn, and Murkowski.  No one in the WH has given the slightest indication they’re willing to trade anything for Murkowski’s vote.  This is just Republicans desperately (and unsuccessfully) flailing about for a way to avoid getting completely steamrolled and coming away from the fight over the COVID-19 bill with nothing.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2021, 06:41:35 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2021, 06:43:20 PM »

Welp, that's that, then. Reagan will remain the most recent President (for the time being) to get each & every single one of their initial Cabinet & Cabinet-level nominees confirmed. May Gene Sperling or Shalanda Young have better luck.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2021, 06:48:01 PM »

Yeah, Biden would have been stupid to give up concessions to Murkowski over Tanden. Farewell, Neera!

Hopefully, Shalanda Young gets bumped up!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies