SENATE BILL: Religious Freedom Act of 2021 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:02:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Religious Freedom Act of 2021 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Religious Freedom Act of 2021 (Passed)  (Read 917 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: February 20, 2021, 08:40:29 AM »

This is a good bill that I will support. While I am not the biggest fan of organized religion, this is still a common sense measure that no one should be opposed to.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 12:27:56 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2021, 12:33:17 PM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

This is a good bill that I will support. While I am not the biggest fan of organized religion, this is still a common sense measure that no one should be opposed to.

Would it ever be your inclination to inhibit practice of religion on such basis in the name of opposing organized religion? Just curious here.

Good question. This is a very abstract question and would depend a lot on the specifics. But in general my first big concern for any such law would be constitutional concerns; I am 100% commited to defending the RL first amendment in its entirety and this also applies to its Atlasian equivalent.

I actually considered bringing to the Senate at one point several months ago a bill to restrict religious attire on government jobs and buildings, but after a quick read of the constitution it would have been so blatantly unconstitutional that I'd get laughed at in here (and in court if it came to it) so I didn't even end up writing a draft version*.

Even if we forget about the constitution for a moment I will say that I am still 100% in favour of freedom of religion; but I also like to think that freedom from religion is also a good principle to have; with both being balanced depending on the specifics.

This is why I'd say that it depends on the specifics. For instance, this bill is an example where freedom of religion is the clear way to go as the only person affected here would be the prisoner himself.(indeed it is perhaps an extreme example where going for freedom of religion is crystal clear)

For an example of the opposite, I do remember I had a bill where I wanted to restrict organized religion in schools in Lincoln when I was in the regional legislature there, but I don't remember the details. My amendment to do that ended up failing and the bill (originally designed to protect prayer in schools lol) also ended up failing later as well.

*: Indeed when I was considering it I already knew it was constitutionally suspect, I was basing my thoughts on assuming Atlasia had the same version of the 1st amendment that the RL United States, but it turns out that freedom of religion is actually slightly more entrenched in Atlasia's constitution. That ended up killing the bill entirely.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 04:14:10 AM »

Motion for a final vote
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 04:35:52 AM »

The problem obviously is drawing the line between religious freedom and freedom from religion as at some point the latter would necessarily impede the former.

Oh yeah I agree on this. But that's why we have a constitution, and a Supreme Court to draw the line for us Tongue

Trying to think of an example iirc my argument on the Lincoln prayer bill was that having students pray in class could disrupt the learning process of their fellow students if I am not mistaken.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 07:08:11 AM »

AYE
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies