SENATE BILL: Religious Freedom Act of 2021 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:45:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Religious Freedom Act of 2021 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Religious Freedom Act of 2021 (Passed)  (Read 919 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: February 20, 2021, 03:17:28 AM »

As the author of this bill, I will provide some context: the IRL SCOTUS has demonstrated a mixed record with regard to death row inmates being allowed to have clergy present at the time of their executions. Most recently, SCOTUS ruled that Alabama may not execute a Christian inmate without his pastor present. This sadly was not the case just two years earlier in that same state, when SCOTUS denied a Muslim inmate's request to have his imam present in the execution chamber.

Although we have constitutionally abolished the death penalty in Atlasia, I believe this bill is necessary to ensure that inmates always have the right to visitation by clergy, without regard to the inmate's religious views. This is a standard that must be applied consistently, in line with our constitution which prohibits obstruction of the freedom to worship.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 06:37:53 PM »

I assume it might be allowed but the second clause seems quite unusual in its wording- we don’t tend to legislate in this way (I’m not opposed to it just playing devils advocate!)

Well, in the US, several states have what are often referred to as "trigger laws" that would automatically ban abortions in the event that Roe v. Wade is overturned. The second clause operates on essentially the same legal principle, although it likely won't be needed because I don't foresee capital punishment being reinstated any time soon. (Hopefully it never will.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 12:11:25 AM »

I hope you meant 30 minutes. Tongue The bill already has enough votes to pass.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies